4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Comparison: Red/Clears or Altezzas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Comparison: Red/Clears or Altezzas?

Hello everyone, My name is Nick and I used to be on this board as BigSexyBizzy, but I dont know what happened to my account on that name. I used to own a 3rd Gen 93' maxima. 2 Weeks ago I bought a 98 Maxima GLE. Ill be in this forum more often now.

Now, on to my issue......

I noticed that A LOT of the people in this forum, kind of DOWN the Altezzas. Either there to Ricy or just look Cheap. Lets talk about this for a minute.

We have the Red/Clear Tails and the Crome, Black Crome, and Carbon Fiber Altezzas. Pick your Vote on either Red/Clear or Altezzas and Explain your Theory of not wanting the Opposite.

My Pick: Crome Altezzas

Reason: They look good on a Jet Black Max. Makes the Car look more, as you will, futuristic, gives it that Kick that it needs.

Would Not Pick: Red/Clears

Reason: They look, honestly, plain IMO. The only changed mod on that is the little orange side piece, not to much of a diffrence at all. To Stock for me.

Thank you everyone for putting down your Imput. Im intrested in knowing what taste my Fellow Maxima Owners have.

JBM
Old 05-05-2002, 10:46 PM

well for two reasons i would pick the red/clears over the altzza, u save a good amount of money, and the altezzas just dont look so great on our car, theyre kinda BIG..only color i like them with is the light grey/silver, cuz the chrome blends better with the color...do the skyline tail mod that sexima did on his, and paint yours black leaving only the red part of the light showing, looks SOOO hot IMO
Old 05-05-2002, 11:08 PM

JetBlackMax,

Putting aside my vicious hate for altezza's for a second, there's a few good reasons why I think they look worse on Maxima's than on other cars. I think at least a few people agree with me...

First of all, they have a "too far from stock" look to them. They don't blend well with any color Maxima (unless you do Sexima's mod) and end up looking cheap and out of place. The outline makes them stand out from the rest of the car just too much. Why cheapen what's essentially a near-luxury car?

Secondly, and I know this sounds weird, but they make our cars look a bit like Impala's. Impala's have similiar lines to the 4th gen, except that they're a bit more angular... and when you aid the taillights things just get a little bit too similiar for my taste.

But it's your car. Don't not get the altezza's just because people here don't like them.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I feel the association with the Altezzas and Impala lights is unjust. Yes, there are similarities between the two. But, both the Maxima's stock and red/clear mod' lights also look similar to many, many other car. There are various cars from economy to luxury automobiles that have similar light configurations like the Max.

Unfortunately, there only seems to be only one Altezza design for the Maxima. The ricey cars have a variety of design concepts to choose from. I wish the Maximas had most power in the aftermarket industry.

The red/clear mod lights are such a subtle deviation from the stock lights that the only people that would that something was different would be Max owners the dealer.

That's my 2 cent and my pockets are empty.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:25 AM
Banned

In my opinion the Altezzas are extremely poorly made. I've helped a friend put 2 different sets on his max and both of them had fitment issues. They didn't sit as flush as the stock lights and there was a nice gap around the edges of both sets. Even if I liked them, I would not get them because they are such low quality.

Spencer
Old 05-06-2002, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Brockster
I feel the association with the Altezzas and Impala lights is unjust. Yes, there are similarities between the two. But, both the Maxima's stock and red/clear mod' lights also look similar to many, many other car. There are various cars from economy to luxury automobiles that have similar light configurations like the Max.

Unfortunately, there only seems to be only one Altezza design for the Maxima. The ricey cars have a variety of design concepts to choose from. I wish the Maximas had most power in the aftermarket industry.

The red/clear mod lights are such a subtle deviation from the stock lights that the only people that would that something was different would be Max owners the dealer.

That's my 2 cent and my pockets are empty.
It depends on what you want. If you want someone to see your car and immediatly say "Whoa! That's different!" and you don't care if they actually think it looks good or not.. then go for it. It's your car, and if it looks good to you and achieves the effect you're looking for then don't worry about other people's opinions.

In my opinion, though, the purpose of clearing out the amber taillights isn't to make people think your car looks radically different from other Maxima's, it's just to make the car look better. Personally, I think Maxima's with the cleared taillights have a much more upscale look. The amber cheapens the car. And the clears might not make someone immedietly notice your car as it drives by, but it might make them more likely to say "Hey, that's a nice car".

Just a thought.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:25 AM

I like my Altezza's....

...but get what you like. If I listened to the majority on this forum I wouldn't have my Altezza's. I like them both though, different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:34 PM

Cheap

Originally posted by teraspeed
In my opinion the Altezzas are extremely poorly made. I've helped a friend put 2 different sets on his max and both of them had fitment issues. They didn't sit as flush as the stock lights and there was a nice gap around the edges of both sets. Even if I liked them, I would not get them because they are such low quality.

Spencer
I know what you mean. I see a lot of Altezzas with the red lens flopping back and forth. Also, some Altezzas are very hard to see in regular day light. Can't tell if they're on or not.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:39 PM

Altezzas look cheap, they look out of place (even on an IS300) and well ... they look cheap.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:55 PM
I need a truck

i think red/clears look better on a max than altezzas because the red/clears looks more like stock, whereas the altezzas take fugliness to the next level
Old 05-06-2002, 09:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hmmm...I see.

Well, Honestly, Ive only had the car for 2-3 weeks now and I already Installed my Altezza's.

I look at it this way. The one person that said it makes the car like "nice" and "luxorious" has a pretty decent point. My max is Jet Black with Black Leather Interior. But personally, I could care less what the other people think if weather its luxery or not. Cause I already know for a fact, that it is. But to be 18, and have a car like this with leather Interior makes you (as the owner) feel like your on a whole nother level.

Its so weird with me, because Its like I dont want to much "Performance" on my car, but in some cases I do. I like to drive by with my System Blasting to its fullest, but in the case of lets say, an "exaust" it wouldnt blend well together. Although I do want an exaust because I like the look of the nice Crome Shiny Muffler stickin out so its like my Option would be to get an Exaust that Looks nice but has a Very low tone to it. Where Im getting at is that I like the Altezzas because the People know its a young Driver behind the wheel and that Driver is trying to prove a point to the actual City? Sounds weird eh? Its hard to understand. But some of ya might get my drift

But its cool to listen to everyones opinions. Im all ears.

thanx for some of that feedback!
Old 05-06-2002, 09:55 PM

if i was ever to get altezzas, i would only get them if they were body colored/red
Old 05-06-2002, 10:05 PM

I know what you mean. You want distinction or an accent. I feel the same way.

But from a more objective point of view, getting altezza does two things. Firstly, it makes the car more rounded because the back of the max is pretty flat and square. And also most of the new cars have round taillights (new max and altima and others) so the car will seem newer.

Originally posted by JetBlackMax
Hmmm...I see.

Well, Honestly, Ive only had the car for 2-3 weeks now and I already Installed my Altezza's.

I look at it this way. The one person that said it makes the car like "nice" and "luxorious" has a pretty decent point. My max is Jet Black with Black Leather Interior. But personally, I could care less what the other people think if weather its luxery or not. Cause I already know for a fact, that it is. But to be 18, and have a car like this with leather Interior makes you (as the owner) feel like your on a whole nother level.

Its so weird with me, because Its like I dont want to much "Performance" on my car, but in some cases I do. I like to drive by with my System Blasting to its fullest, but in the case of lets say, an "exaust" it wouldnt blend well together. Although I do want an exaust because I like the look of the nice Crome Shiny Muffler stickin out so its like my Option would be to get an Exaust that Looks nice but has a Very low tone to it. Where Im getting at is that I like the Altezzas because the People know its a young Driver behind the wheel and that Driver is trying to prove a point to the actual City? Sounds weird eh? Its hard to understand. But some of ya might get my drift

But its cool to listen to everyones opinions. Im all ears.

thanx for some of that feedback!