4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rattle In dash Board...HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rattle In dash Board...HELP !!

I hit a pot hole yesterday and ever since there is this on and off rattle coming from the dahsboard like behind the ash tray by the flip out holder thing, and kind of by the shifter...I hear it alot when I make left turns or if im sitting at idle only sometimes though...I thaught it was the things in my flip out thing but when I took all the stuff out its still there...Should I take the ashtray out and the plastic part out around the shifter and see if I can fix it ?? What am I looking for ??? A lose part ??? ... It kind of sounds like plastic against plastic sound so I dont think its the shifter rubbing with something...
Thanks

-Matt
Old 05-06-2002, 08:01 PM

have you ever had your dash apart in the past, like to do a stereo install or something?? cuz if not, you could of just jarred what was a nice tight factory seal on those plastic moldings, which now rub together a little. i've had my dash apart a few times for stereo issues, and what used to be a super quiet interior, now ever so quietly squeaks over bumpy roads and stuff. i mean, theres not much under that center dash aside from carpeting on the bottom, and the electrical connections. but hey - what better way to learn about your car than to investigate - go for it man
Old 05-06-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: Rattle In dash Board...HELP !!

Are you sure thats where the noise is comin from. Because I have a similiar rattling noise from where my gauges are Because the plastic is loose from when I installed my indiglos. Do you have indiglos.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:09 PM

i have a slight rattle coming from somewhere in my dash as well, but i've never taken apart my dash, but the car has been over quite a few bumps...but the rattle doesn't bother me too much, i just keep my music loud
Old 05-06-2002, 08:09 PM

NO I dont have indiglos...the noise does seem to be coming from right behind the ash tray and like around that area by the flip out tray thing...my flip out tray doesnt slide out so that cant be the problem...I really dont know...when its making the noise and im driving if I take my hand and reach in the hole, where I took the ash tray out, and grab onto the plastic in there, the noise does stop
Should I bring it somewhere to get fixed ??

-Matt
Old 05-06-2002, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by matty
NO I dont have indiglos...the noise does seem to be coming from right behind the ash tray and like around that area by the flip out tray thing...my flip out tray doesnt slide out so that cant be the problem...I really dont know...when its making the noise and im driving if I take my hand and reach in the hole, where I took the ash tray out, and grab onto the plastic in there, the noise does stop
Should I bring it somewhere to get fixed ??

-Matt
is it really worth that much to you?...and if you say that when you reach in and hold it, it stops the noise...well, a good solution to lots of problems is some nice, handy DUCT TAPE...or regular tape for that matter...just slide a piece over the plastic and see if that helps...cheap fix...hopefully it'll work...
Old 05-06-2002, 09:07 PM

I think its your Y-pipe or some pipe.... try to look under the car and jiggal them.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:14 PM

dude, if you have an aftermarket ypipe, i will bet $100 that is what it is. I have a wsp pipe and its up against one side bad. its rigged with ducktape around it to stop the rattle. ducktape fixes everything
Old 05-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Rattle In dash Board...HELP !!

Originally posted by matty
I hit a pot hole yesterday and ever since there is this on and off rattle coming from the dahsboard like behind the ash tray by the flip out holder thing, and kind of by the shifter...I hear it alot when I make left turns or if im sitting at idle only sometimes though...I thaught it was the things in my flip out thing but when I took all the stuff out its still there...Should I take the ashtray out and the plastic part out around the shifter and see if I can fix it ?? What am I looking for ??? A lose part ??? ... It kind of sounds like plastic against plastic sound so I dont think its the shifter rubbing with something...
Thanks

-Matt
I have had the same noise. It stops when I push in the outer instrument cluster bezel. Also if you have some coins in the coin holders they will make an irritating rattling noise.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:28 PM

BmxSteve

I owe you $100 because thats where the noise was coming from...its still there and when I get underneath the car it gets louder and louder as I get closer to it..Im taking the pipe off in a few weeks do its pointless to fix it

-Matt
Old 05-07-2002, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by bmxsteve
dude, if you have an aftermarket ypipe, i will bet $100 that is what it is. I have a wsp pipe and its up against one side bad. its rigged with ducktape around it to stop the rattle. ducktape fixes everything
ducktape + exhaust piping = sticky mess

but if it fixes the problem, go for it..

I hit a bump back in the day and got the rattling i thought was coming from my shifter, turned out - my STOCK ypipe flex section broke apart at the weld and was rattling. the solution? buying a warpspeed ypipe

check your ypipe.