4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thinking about swapping out my Eibach/Tokico setup need some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 07:04 AM

Thinking about swapping out my Eibach/Tokico setup need some suggestions

I was intrigued by the KYB-AGX struts because of that adjustable feature, but they look like they're gonna cost big bucks. How soft and harsh can they be set? does it range from a stock GLE ride to a Stiff modified suspension ride? My complaint about Eibach is that they are too harsh, and I think its because they are not a good match for the Tokico blues. I ultimately want to reduce the harshness a little, but I don't want to give up the handling. I was thinking either replacing the Eibachs with H&R's or getting new struts taht would be better suited ofr Eibachs and keeping the Eibachs ( although I don't know if hte latter would help reduce the ride harsness). Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin
Old 05-07-2002, 07:17 AM
rmb

Re: Thinking about swapping out my Eibach/Tokico setup need some suggestions

Originally posted by Kevin
I was intrigued by the KYB-AGX struts because of that adjustable feature, but they look like they're gonna cost big bucks. How soft and harsh can they be set? does it range from a stock GLE ride to a Stiff modified suspension ride? My complaint about Eibach is that they are too harsh, and I think its because they are not a good match for the Tokico blues. I ultimately want to reduce the harshness a little, but I don't want to give up the handling. I was thinking either replacing the Eibachs with H&R's or getting new struts taht would be better suited ofr Eibachs and keeping the Eibachs ( although I don't know if hte latter would help reduce the ride harsness). Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin
1998 SE 5spd w/80k FSTB and Stillen RSB

I just installed KYB/AGX's. On the softest settings, similiar to SE feel but the springs are still way firmer cornering and under big dips.

On the middle settings. This is the way the car should have come from the factory. Perfect. Not too harsh, little or no roll/dive.

On the highest settings... Kinda cool but very very stiff. Rear can get skittish on rough stuff and get away from you if you're not carefull.

Great setup with lots of options....

-RMB
Old 05-07-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Thinking about swapping out my Eibach/Tokico setup need some suggestions

Originally posted by rmb

I just installed KYB/AGX's. On the softest settings, similiar to SE feel but the springs are still way firmer cornering and under big dips.

On the middle settings. This is the way the car should have come from the factory. Perfect. Not too harsh, little or no roll/dive.

On the highest settings... Kinda cool but very very stiff. Rear can get skittish on rough stuff and get away from you if you're not carefull.

-RMB

What springs do you have?
Old 05-07-2002, 07:50 AM
rmb

Re: Re: Re: Thinking about swapping out my Eibach/Tokico setup need some suggestions

What springs do you have?
Doh... sorry... H&R's

-RMB
Old 05-07-2002, 07:55 AM

Rmb, question for you. If you have a lot of potholed rodes and bad local roads to ride one, how is the softest setting on the KYBs?

and on hte highway how is the softest setting for you?
Old 05-07-2002, 08:53 AM
rmb

Rmb, question for you. If you have a lot of potholed rodes and bad local roads to ride one, how is the softest setting on the KYBs?

and on hte highway how is the softest setting for you?
I'm in CT where we have lots of potholes, cracks, heaved backroads, etc.

The middle setting is perfect(for me) on the crappy roads. Very close to stock SE unless you hit something big or until you get in the twisties. Then it firms up nicely and just sticks like a *****. Enough compliance in the rear to keep it planted in the garbage bumps around curves. Too stiff of a setting unsettles the rear (I've got the Stillen RSB set pretty tight too) on rumble-bump type corners. That solid rear hurts us on this one...

A smooth highway would be perfect for the hardest setting since the H&R's are very close to stock with the first little bit of travel. The softest setting would be OK too if there are a lot of seams or concrete slabs on your highways that you're trying to soften up.

It really just comes down to personal pref. What might rattle my fillings out might be OK for you... And with this setup you've got a huge range of adjustment.

-RMB
Old 05-07-2002, 08:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I 2nd what rmb said. Great combo. Lots of adjustability and a nice ride.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:06 AM

Youre right. What might be not too harsh for you might be a
back breaker for me. I think the best approcahc is t find
some NJ fokls that can give me a ride in their car to
comapre how the ride feels.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:53 AM

Bump!
Old 05-08-2002, 08:50 PM
andymax

Wow am I relieved to hear all the good things about the AGX's. I ordered them, and THEN read all your posts. Brainfart. Anyway, wanted to let you know I got a brand new, warranted set off ebay for $330, with $18 shipping. Can't wait to get them installed... BTW, I'm staying with the stock springs because this is still my biz car, and seems any performance spring will kill the ride.

99 SE,
FSTB,
Mich Pilots,
clears
28% Tint
slotted rotors
80K Miles

Old 05-09-2002, 05:33 AM

Re: Re: Thinking about swapping out my Eibach/Tokico setup need some suggestions

Originally posted by rmb

-RMB
Are these on coilovers? Can I buy the adjustable KYB'b in Mcpherson stut form to use with my Eibachs?
Old 05-09-2002, 06:13 AM
andymax

Re: Re: Re: Thinking about swapping out my Eibach/Tokico setup need some suggestions

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maximus75

Are these on coilovers? Can I buy the adjustable KYB'b in Mcpherson stut form to use with my Eibachs?
[/QUOTE

Not Coil overs. Check out www.kyb.com

Old 05-09-2002, 06:26 AM

Thanks