4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5 speed shifting questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 12:53 AM
Sports Button FTW

5 speed shifting questions....

sometimes i drive my friends toyota corolla 5 speed (yea, strong power, lol) but i do things which the owner of the car says is cool but everyone says i'm killing the clutch and i'm worried if i don't have the right idea about it, i'll do the same to mine when i get mine....these things are:

When you are going real fast, can u down shift to any gear and not mess up your clutch? sometimes i drive so fast on 4th and switch to 2nd and it slows me down...i don't hold brake just slowly let go of clutch and because i was going so fast, the car is making this loud VRROOOOM sound...am i killing my clutch when i do this?

Also, being that auto and manual are like totally different when shifting from reverse to drive and drive to reverse, do i kill clutch when i'm rolling back and throw it in first? i know in auto you do but in manual, i hear no bad sounds or anything...i know the opposite way, u kill the manual trans cause i've heard that sound and it's not pretty....

last but not least, my friend who has a honda says that u kill your clutch whenever u hold down clutch while on neutral, or when pressing gas a little to make meet...is this tru? I shouldn't hold down clutch when in neutral? i know it makes no sense to hold it but i feel comfortable doing that just in case i have to switch it to first real quick...my ehhh coordination isn't the fastest and i'll throw it in first by mistake when foot not on clutch ....

Oh and one more...sometimes i dont' know what gear to put in when i'm rolling kind of fast and in neutral...as i master the car i'll get better at it but from the get, will i hurt my clutch when i throw it in 2nd when it should be in third? or the opposite way? and when i do this and i'm shaking like hell cause of bad shifting, will this hurt my clutch? or axle or something?

thanks guys, these questions been on my mind for a minute
Old 05-08-2002, 01:00 AM

double clutch when downshifting hard. I don't double clutch if i'm just cruising around, but if i'm trying to accelerate fast like passing a car or something, I will double clutch it from 5th to 3rd or 4th to 2nd. as far as the other questions about putting in 1st while rolling backwards...i guess this could put more stress on your synchros than if you're stopped. and as far as holding the clutch in while in neutral...that is news to me. I haven't heard of holding your clutch in as damaging...but what do i know, i'm a newbie.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:10 AM
Former Sponsor

rev match your downshifts
Old 05-08-2002, 01:17 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by carnal_c30
rev match your downshifts
so downshifting (double and what not) will not hurt trans?...can u answer a little more...ehh basic...? yes no, maybe so?
Old 05-08-2002, 02:22 AM

I just started driving a 5 speed a few months ago so I was actually wondering those same questions. But it won't hurt your clutch if you just push it down while in nuetral, I mean think about it when you are in nuetral you HAVE to push it down to shift into first, it doesn't matter the length. And when rolling backwards and then shifting into first, I also do this sometimes and I know it isn't good, but I'm not sure exactly why, just don't do it like all the time. And when downshifting it is better to use the brake to slow down instead of downshifting.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:31 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by meccanoble

so downshifting (double and what not) will not hurt trans?...can u answer a little more...ehh basic...? yes no, maybe so?
No, rev matching is what you need to do. When you downshift, give it a little gas to the engine is already spinning fast for the lower gear when you let the clutch out. Doing this while braking is called "heel and toe"... look it up...

Remember, the engine is for making the car accelerate, the brakes are for slowing it down.

Anytime the clutch is slipping (not fully in or not fully out) you are wearing out the clutch.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:43 AM

When you ride the clutch or leave it disengaged in nuetral or any other gear for long periods of time you shorten the life of your throw out bearing, it won't hurt the clutch itself but it puts stress on the throw out bearing. I still do this sometimes and I have had my car over a year, as you get more cordinated try to do it less but don't worry about it now. As for down shifting double clutching is a thing of the past and doesn't need to be done on the new transmissions with syncros, I guess you could double clutch but it is really pointless, you can use down shifting to slow your self down, yes it reduces the life of the clutch but not by that much, also if your down shifting to pass someone or to gain speed try to match revs you don't have to put it in nutral to do this as you would if you were double clutching, as you down shift when you push the clutch in rev the engine to the rpm that it should be, in the gear you are entering at the speed you are going, say your in 4th doing 40 and you want to pass someone if you were going into 2nd you would bring the rpms up to 4500-5000 as you are down shifting so you don't lose speed, this needs to be done pretty quickly in order for it to be done right. This if for the maxima, so it may be a little different in the toyota. You really need to know what speed to shift at in each gear so you'll know what gear you can down shift into, you wouldn't want to go into second if you were doing 55-60+ this will put stress on your engine, actually down shifting to slow the car down wears the rings out and after a period of time the engine will start to burn oil.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:38 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by 96SE5Spd
When you ride the clutch or leave it disengaged in nuetral or any other gear for long periods of time you shorten the life of your throw out bearing, it won't hurt the clutch itself but it puts stress on the throw out bearing. I still do this sometimes and I have had my car over a year, as you get more cordinated try to do it less but don't worry about it now. As for down shifting double clutching is a thing of the past and doesn't need to be done on the new transmissions with syncros, I guess you could double clutch but it is really pointless, you can use down shifting to slow your self down, yes it reduces the life of the clutch but not by that much, also if your down shifting to pass someone or to gain speed try to match revs you don't have to put it in nutral to do this as you would if you were double clutching, as you down shift when you push the clutch in rev the engine to the rpm that it should be, in the gear you are entering at the speed you are going, say your in 4th doing 40 and you want to pass someone if you were going into 2nd you would bring the rpms up to 4500-5000 as you are down shifting so you don't lose speed, this needs to be done pretty quickly in order for it to be done right. This if for the maxima, so it may be a little different in the toyota. You really need to know what speed to shift at in each gear so you'll know what gear you can down shift into, you wouldn't want to go into second if you were doing 55-60+ this will put stress on your engine, actually down shifting to slow the car down wears the rings out and after a period of time the engine will start to burn oil.

u know i never thought of that...downshifting to get more speed...cause i always thought if you did that it would automatically throw you in redline (lol) but is that what they meant by double shifting in fast and the furious? i always thought it meant something like barely hitting redline then double shifting UPWARDS...but that doesn't make sense...either way

but you said riding clutch (holding clutch while in neutral) is bad? yes or no? come on guys, i'm a simpleton....

and when i down shift ( i never do to get more speed) but to slow down, it hurts my bearing? so it's not recommended? or is it that weak of a difference on my car that i should keep doing it?

questions?

1) bad to hold clutch while in neutral? yes or no
2) too harsh to downshift just to slow down (whether single or double)? yes or no

thansk everyone...yea i'm an idiot
Old 05-08-2002, 10:28 AM

1) bad to hold clutch while in neutral? yes or no
Yes, it'll slowly wear out your throw out bearing, but its not a big deal. Riding the clutch (holding the clutch in only part way) on the other hand, is very very bad. You'll know you've been doing this if you can smell something burning...

2) too harsh to downshift just to slow down (whether single or double)? yes or no
As long as you match your revs to what they will be at in the next gear, its not that hard on the car. For example, if you are revving at 2500 in 4th and your car needs to be at 4500 in 2nd, you would: clutch in -->gas until your revs are at 4500 -->shift into 2nd --> slow down or accelerate depending on what you're doing.

As long as your car doesnt start hopping and jerking, its not too hard on it (unless you're riding the clutch of course).
Old 05-08-2002, 10:55 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by AdMax98

Yes, it'll slowly wear out your throw out bearing, but its not a big deal. Riding the clutch (holding the clutch in only part way) on the other hand, is very very bad. You'll know you've been doing this if you can smell something burning...

As long as you match your revs to what they will be at in the next gear, its not that hard on the car. For example, if you are revving at 2500 in 4th and your car needs to be at 4500 in 2nd, you would: clutch in -->gas until your revs are at 4500 -->shift into 2nd --> slow down or accelerate depending on what you're doing.

As long as your car doesnt start hopping and jerking, its not too hard on it (unless you're riding the clutch of course).
Blah. I RARELY rev match when downshifting and ride the clutch a little instead. Additionally, I have the fortune of knowing who has driven my car for the last 4 years, because I've owned it since day 1 so there are no "mysteries" as to why things are happening to my car.

That said, I downshift from 5th to 3rd without rev matching (to accelerate) and 95% of the time, I downshift to slow down (exactly as stated in my first sentence). I have ~65000 miles on my car and my clutch is going strong. I got the car at a young age (21) and I did and do drive it harder than most "normal" people (normal people being people that DON'T visit maxima.org ;-)) and the only thing I've had to do to it is get new tires twice. My brakes are finally ready to get replaced and I would say I likely have another 10,000 - 20,000 miles left my my OEM clutch.

I say: be as careful as you can, but don't worry about it too much or you'll drive yourself nuts.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

I say: be as careful as you can, but don't worry about it too much or you'll drive yourself nuts.
Yeah definately, dont stress over it. No matter how you treat your clutch, its still going to last a long time.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 5 speed shifting questions....

sometimes i drive my friends toyota corolla 5 speed (yea, strong power, lol) but i do things which the owner of the car says is cool but everyone says i'm killing the clutch and i'm worried if i don't have the right idea about it, i'll do the same to mine when i get mine....these things are:

When you are going real fast, can u down shift to any gear and not mess up your clutch? sometimes i drive so fast on 4th and switch to 2nd and it slows me down...i don't hold brake just slowly let go of clutch and because i was going so fast, the car is making this loud VRROOOOM sound...am i killing my clutch when i do this?

Also, being that auto and manual are like totally different when shifting from reverse to drive and drive to reverse, do i kill clutch when i'm rolling back and throw it in first? i know in auto you do but in manual, i hear no bad sounds or anything...i know the opposite way, u kill the manual trans cause i've heard that sound and it's not pretty....

last but not least, my friend who has a honda says that u kill your clutch whenever u hold down clutch while on neutral, or when pressing gas a little to make meet...is this tru? I shouldn't hold down clutch when in neutral? i know it makes no sense to hold it but i feel comfortable doing that just in case i have to switch it to first real quick...my ehhh coordination isn't the fastest and i'll throw it in first by mistake when foot not on clutch ....

Oh and one more...sometimes i dont' know what gear to put in when i'm rolling kind of fast and in neutral...as i master the car i'll get better at it but from the get, will i hurt my clutch when i throw it in 2nd when it should be in third? or the opposite way? and when i do this and i'm shaking like hell cause of bad shifting, will this hurt my clutch? or axle or something?

thanks guys, these questions been on my mind for a minute

Easy answer look below.......

Get and autotragic, like me.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

Blah. I RARELY rev match when downshifting and ride the clutch a little instead. Additionally, I have the fortune of knowing who has driven my car for the last 4 years, because I've owned it since day 1 so there are no "mysteries" as to why things are happening to my car.

That said, I downshift from 5th to 3rd without rev matching (to accelerate) and 95% of the time, I downshift to slow down (exactly as stated in my first sentence). I have ~65000 miles on my car and my clutch is going strong. I got the car at a young age (21) and I did and do drive it harder than most "normal" people (normal people being people that DON'T visit maxima.org ;-)) and the only thing I've had to do to it is get new tires twice. My brakes are finally ready to get replaced and I would say I likely have another 10,000 - 20,000 miles left my my OEM clutch.

You probably do not have any problems with your clutch I have 88k+ on mine and I ride it and I also use engine brake to slow down, but thats not to say that it doesn't wear it out over time, and you probably don't hold it in,in neutral. that does wear out the throw out bearing, I say while your still learning don't even worry about it but as you get better at shifting try to not ride it as much. you don't need to match revs to slow yourself down when you down shift, only when you want to accelerate faster, don't tell me you don't do this or if you think you don't you do it and don't even pay any attention to it because you've been driving a 5spd long enough to not really have to pay attention to what your doing.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by meccanoble
[B]

u know i never thought of that...downshifting to get more speed...cause i always thought if you did that it would automatically throw you in redline (lol) but is that what they meant by double shifting in fast and the furious? i always thought it meant something like barely hitting redline then double shifting UPWARDS...but that doesn't make sense...either way

I'm not sure why they talked about double clutching in the fast and furious. the only time you would double clutch today is if you were driving a race car with a syncro mesh transmission. Double clutching is this: When downshifting in a car with out syncros (syncros keep your gears from grinding) in between shifts you would have put the car into nutral engage the clutch(take your foot off) and rev the engine to the rpm that was needed to go into the next gear so the gears would slide into each other without grinding. In all production cars today you don't have to do this the syncros keep the gears from grinding, so double clutching is pointless, as for the fast and the furious I don't know what they ment by it.

but you said riding clutch (holding clutch while in neutral) is bad? yes or no? come on guys, i'm a simpleton....

and when i down shift ( i never do to get more speed) but to slow down, it hurts my bearing? so it's not recommended? or is it that weak of a difference on my car that i should keep doing that.

not your bearing your piston rings, over a period of time, at least ten years, if you do it alot, it will damage your piston rings and cause you to burn oil. so Unless you do it say every time you slow down and you plan on keeping your car over ten years I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:13 PM

Rev matching will help lengthen the life of your clutch as well as save wear and tear on your engine mounts since you aren't rocking it like you do when you let out the clutch fast. Learn to rev match and you can also shift faster without your passengers complaining :P

As far as the throwout bearing, if you hold down the clutch in neutral a lot it WILL wear faster. Eventually when you clutch in you'll hear a squeek that sounds like you need to grease something, but it's really the throwout bearing making noise.

I had bad habits when I first started driving the car, but if you practicing better driving your parts will last longer and you'll be a better driver as well.
-hype
Old 05-08-2002, 02:58 PM
Sports Button FTW

very confusing

i think you guys are making it a little more confusing that its supposed to be....

first of:

when downshifting, why would u press gas (matching rev) when u want to slow down? doesn't make sense to me?

and:

when u down shift, you are already going at a rev too high...so what sense does pressing gas do to match a rev? for example...if i'm going 60 on like say 4th gear...(never drove max 5 speed so don't know how far u can go with each gear) and then i want to slow down so i throw it on 2nd and i hear car making loud vroom sound (which i know messes up clutch if i try to go faster on that gear) what sense does it make pressing the gas when it will defeat the purpose of me even downshifting AND my rpm will already be sky rocketed up to like 6 or 7k rpm due to the fact that i'm going faster than i should be on that gear (2nd)...i think i just have it all wrong

either way from what i hear, downshifting to slow down doesn't hurt that bad and if i use a little brake, it would be less stress...and holding clutch while rolling FORWARD on neutral doesn't hurt clutch too hopefully...cause u have to hold clutch anyway when shifting gears....

but someone elaborate a little more on my problems above...shame it takes this long for me to understand such simple questions
Old 05-08-2002, 03:08 PM

Re: very confusing

i think you guys are making it a little more confusing that its supposed to be....

first of:

when downshifting, why would u press gas (matching rev) when u want to slow down? doesn't make sense to me?

and:

when u down shift, you are already going at a rev too high...so what sense does pressing gas do to match a rev? for example...if i'm going 60 on like say 4th gear...(never drove max 5 speed so don't know how far u can go with each gear) and then i want to slow down so i throw it on 2nd and i hear car making loud vroom sound (which i know messes up clutch if i try to go faster on that gear) what sense does it make pressing the gas when it will defeat the purpose of me even downshifting AND my rpm will already be sky rocketed up to like 6 or 7k rpm due to the fact that i'm going faster than i should be on that gear (2nd)...i think i just have it all wrong

either way from what i hear, downshifting to slow down doesn't hurt that bad and if i use a little brake, it would be less stress...and holding clutch while rolling FORWARD on neutral doesn't hurt clutch too hopefully...cause u have to hold clutch anyway when shifting gears....

but someone elaborate a little more on my problems above...shame it takes this long for me to understand such simple questions
when you downshift, you're going from a lower RPM to a much higher RPM, and that is quite a jump, and so, when you downshift, if you rev match, it doesn't put quite as much strain, because the jump isn't quite as large...i'm not a 5 speed driver, but this is from my understanding and my friends...correct me if i'm wrong
Old 05-08-2002, 03:22 PM
Sports Button FTW

wait a minute...what do u mean by rev matching?

only way u can rev match in this case is to stay on higher gear till you are like about to stall and then switch to lower gear but that will be a waste if u downshift to slow down...explain rev matching
Old 05-08-2002, 03:27 PM

only way u can rev match in this case is to stay on higher gear till you are like about to stall and then switch to lower gear but that will be a waste if u downshift to slow down...explain rev matching
Rev matching means you're in 4th gear at 3000 rpms so you clutch in, rev to 4000+ rpms, shift to 2nd, and clutch out. You are "matching the revs" and the shift will be smooth without slipping the clutch unnecessarily. You would do this when you want to downshift for more power or to slow down, but don't want to come a complete stop.

If you want to come to a complete stop just shift to neutral and brake.
-hype
Old 05-08-2002, 03:28 PM

Re: very confusing

I think you should see these links, you obviously dont know how a manual transmission works. This will probably help you understand things a little better.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

http://www.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

I think it says something about rev matching on the 2nd or 3rd page of the transmission link.

If you cant understand how this works, then maybe you should just stick to your auto
Old 05-08-2002, 03:31 PM
MaximaFreak

Okay
So, you're in 3rd gear and you're doing 40 MPH at say 3500 RPM's ... okay?
You want to downshift.
If you downshift without matching you put in the clutch, the revs drop to idle (~500 RPM) then you go to 2nd gear and let the clutch out.
When you let the clutch out, the revs are going to jump to say 5500 RPM's. THIS is what people are saying is bad for your engine.
Rev matching in this case would be AFTER putting in the clutch, instead of letting the RPM's fall to idle, you tap on the gas and bump the RPM's up to ~5500 so when you let the clutch back out in 2nd gear your revs don't jump. You DON'T keep your foot on the gas after disengaging the clutch because you're slowing down, so you either coast and let the revs slow you or you assist the revs by breaking.
Got it?
Old 05-08-2002, 03:41 PM

This is like explaining sex to a little kid
Old 05-08-2002, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by AdMax98
This is like explaining sex to a little kid
Old 05-08-2002, 04:10 PM
Sports Button FTW

ohhhhhhhhhhhh now i understand...

quick question though...doesn't drivin consistently at high rpm's mess up clutch? like 2nd gear and rpm at like 6 or 7 (somewhere before redline) and u hear your engy straining and all...doesn't that mess up clutch? also, i guess holding clutch and pressing gas DOESNT mess up clutch cause u guys wouldn't have said to do it...ok, i understand...thanks guys....
Old 05-08-2002, 04:30 PM

quick question though...doesn't drivin consistently at high rpm's mess up clutch?
No, once the clutch is engaged, it should grip at any rpm. Of course if you're car is making crazy torque at high RPM, or your clutch is wearing out, it will start to slip...
Just to clarify, driving at high rpm wont wear the clutch out, unless you are "riding" it.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:41 PM
MaximaFreak

quick question though...doesn't drivin consistently at high rpm's mess up clutch? like 2nd gear and rpm at like 6 or 7 (somewhere before redline) and u hear your engy straining and all...doesn't that mess up clutch? also, i guess holding clutch and pressing gas DOESNT mess up clutch cause u guys wouldn't have said to do it...ok, i understand...thanks guys....
Do me a favor. If you drive a 5sp now, keep driving it the way you have been and when you are SERIOUSLY questioning if it is bad for your car, cease and desist. If you are not driving a 5 speed, drive one MORE and get back to us in 5 months :-) You will learn an awful lot ... promise
Old 05-08-2002, 06:24 PM
Sports Button FTW

i don't have a 5 speed but my friend has one and i drive it on occassion plus i shall have my own in about a month or less...

just want to know the do's and do not's before i get my own...

so it is OK to drive car at high RPM's as long as i don't have my foot on the clutch like half way or something (riding clutch)...i never knew that....i thought when in high rpm's u automatically hurt your trans....thanks guy.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:27 PM

i don't have a 5 speed but my friend has one and i drive it on occassion plus i shall have my own in about a month or less...

so it is OK to drive car at high RPM's as long as i don't have my foot on the clutch like half way or something (riding clutch)...i never knew that....i thought when in high rpm's u automatically hurt your trans....thanks guy.
past redline...bigtime hurt
Old 05-09-2002, 08:35 AM

Hey meccanoble - aren't you doing a 5-speed conversion on your max? hmmm..... swapping the tranny, but don't know how to drive it yet. you're cool.

Good luck on the tranny swap and on learning to drive the manual.

Old 05-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Sports Button FTW

i'm not going to swap tranny...i have a friend helping me with that...hey i already know how to drive stick dag on it!! i just want to know if some of the things i'm doing are good or bad....if u need to get to a hospital i'll get u there easily