4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need opinion on upgrading entire exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 12:48 PM

Need opinion on upgrading entire exhaust system

Hey... I've got a question regarding my (far) future upgrade of the entire exhaust system. The only "mod" I've done so far is a FSTB and I've got a CAI on order that I'll install after I get back from my road trip next month. I'm replacing the Bose system next week. After all of that is done (ie, over the summer) my next planned move was to get a Y-pipe, but I've been thinking about whether or not it's better to wait, save up some more, and then just do EVERYTHING (in which case I'll probably have to wait until the end of the summer).

So here's my question: Will the gains from the Y-pipe alone (well, Y-pipe + PR CAI) be so great that I should do it as soon as I have the money or should I wait and get the Y-pipe, a high-flow cat, and cat-back exhaust (ugh, more noise) all together?

(note: I've already done my homework and know the actual hp gains to expect, but I'm looking for opinions on feel and whether or not people are happy with just their Y-pipe or if upgrading everything makes more sense)

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2002, 01:15 PM

With just the Ypipe / CAI alone you will feel plenty of gain. The rest is smalelr ones that will come later but definantly get the Ypipe when you can and pick opff the others later.

SuDZ
Old 05-08-2002, 01:33 PM

I agree. The trick to feeling the power is getting the exhaust velocity up to speed quickly, which the Y- takes car of, and essentially once that's done, the rest of the exhuast is just noise. Well, not really just noise, but combined with everyting, should give you some good gains. I say do one at a time so you can feel the difference of each as they are installed.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:05 PM

Alright, cool. Thanks a lot for the advice guys. In that case, looks like I'll have my CAI + Y-pipe setup by late July and then I can save some money for a RSB.