4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ACT clutch questions ((Yes i searched)Long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 01:33 PM

ACT clutch questions ((Yes i searched)Long)

So my stock clutch (91k miles) is dieing. It still works and all but I can just feel it dieing. Its not how it used to be at all. I think it'll be dead in under 10k miles. So i figure I might as well throw on a nice ACT clutch. I have been reading about them in past posts for about an hour. It seems like hell to drive the car for the first thousand miles or so. That about true? What is the normal break in period for the ACT? I never saw the number mentioned. Does everyone just get the Street clutch? I know I dont want the 6 puck one, but whats the difference between these two:

ACT clutch kit, 89-99 Heavy duty PP/Organic disc $394 $344
ACT clutch kit, 89-99 Heavy duty PP/4-puck race disc $367 $319

Is the street on the Organic disc? I race maybe once a week (on the weekend) and do a lot of city/back road driving. I hate to put in a stock part when I know there is an aftermarket on available. After a few thousand miles of break in will this be nice and driveable in the streets? People talk about "chatter" in a lot of posts. What is this chatter? I dont really understand what people mean by that.

I am trying to figure this out, and as soon as possible. I just dont know if the ACT is right for me. People say if you drive well, it should last longer than a stock clutch. So by the time the ACT goes i will be done with my car. I know for a fact that oncei buy my next clutch I will not want to buy another. And the only reason that I would be tempted to do that is if I buy the ACT and just hate it. I really dont want that to happen. I just want a nice clutch that doesnt mind me autocrossing it and running it through the 1/4 mile. Chirping third will be nice too

Finally do I want to change me Rear main seal while the tranny is out? I read that another member did this. Is that somthing that goes wrong? I have 90k miles on the car so would it make sense to do this? I dont even know what that part is for, hehe.

I think I have read everyones inital reactions to their new ACT clutch. Everyone said that it was going to take time to get ued to it. Well, what do some owners of the clutch thing a few months after? This will be my big summer mod so I want to use my money wisley. thanks a lot guys and sorry for the long post!
Old 05-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: ACT clutch questions ((Yes i searched)Long)

Originally posted by Nick Robinson

ACT clutch kit, 89-99 Heavy duty PP/Organic disc $394 $344
ACT clutch kit, 89-99 Heavy duty PP/4-puck race disc $367 $319

You don't want any of the puck discs since they are extremely harsh on the tranny. The organic disc is the street everyone has

Is the street on the Organic disc? I race maybe once a week (on the weekend) and do a lot of city/back road driving. I hate to put in a stock part when I know there is an aftermarket on available. After a few thousand miles of break in will this be nice and driveable in the streets? People talk about "chatter" in a lot of posts. What is this chatter? I dont really understand what people mean by that.
Based on your driving you're like me and the ACT is a good clutch choice for everyday driving and occasional racing. On the highway you will notice very few (if any) driveability problems, and in the city the clutch isn't that much harder to drive with. Since you don't race that often I would also save the money for the flywheel and just resurface your stock flywheel. After 5k on my ACT clutch it's a lot better about the chatter and everyday driving. I like it even more since it broke in

Finally do I want to change me Rear main seal while the tranny is out? I read that another member did this. Is that somthing that goes wrong? I have 90k miles on the car so would it make sense to do this? I dont even know what that part is for, hehe.
I didn't replace my rear main seal since I only had 48k, but at 90k you may consider it. I figured I would probably need a tranny rebuild or a new clutch before my seal goes, but you're a little higher in mileage.

I think I have read everyones inital reactions to their new ACT clutch. Everyone said that it was going to take time to get ued to it. Well, what do some owners of the clutch thing a few months after? This will be my big summer mod so I want to use my money wisley. thanks a lot guys and sorry for the long post!
After driving the car for a few days you get used to the clutch, but you'll find it strange to drive with stock clutches The clutch broke in nicely for me at about 5k and that's after about 9 track passes. If I did it all over again I wouldn't change anything.
Hope that helps
-hype
Old 05-09-2002, 03:08 PM

Thanks a million! What is the break in period? And does that just mean you have to drive it like normal for that many miles I.E. no track racing and no autocrossing?
Old 05-09-2002, 03:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Thanks a million! What is the break in period? And does that just mean you have to drive it like normal for that many miles I.E. no track racing and no autocrossing?
People talk about different break ins, but I took it easy for about 300-500 miles. Try not to slip the clutch anymore than you have to and don't rev too hard/fast so that it mates to the flywheel well.
Just baby the clutch and it should pay off in the end.
-hype