4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hard start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 05:03 PM

hard start?

Does anyone else have this problem?

My car struggles to turn on. I hear the motor cranking, but nothing.. could it just be the battery?

After holding the key in the start setting, and cranking for like 15 seconds, it comes on. Otherwise I would try for about 5 seconds, then try again 5 seconds later, and it would turn on.

I had the car tuned up about 3000 miles ago. The battery appears to be about two years or so old.

-Brian.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: hard start?

Originally posted by MoogieBoogie
Does anyone else have this problem?

My car struggles to turn on. I hear the motor cranking, but nothing.. could it just be the battery?

After holding the key in the start setting, and cranking for like 15 seconds, it comes on. Otherwise I would try for about 5 seconds, then try again 5 seconds later, and it would turn on.

I had the car tuned up about 3000 miles ago. The battery appears to be about two years or so old.

-Brian.
did your tune-up include changing the fuel filter? my car had hard starting problems, and after I changed out the filter it was fine.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:18 PM

Re: Re: hard start?

How much gas do you have?Its probably your starter.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: hard start?

Originally posted by MrBlank
How much gas do you have?Its probably your starter.

yeah your right it was the starter for me... take apart the starter and check it out if it's too hard to turn the you gotta buy a new one... don't throw the old one away cause you can save like 60 bucks if you give the auto parts shop it.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:17 PM

Re: Re: hard start?

Yeah, I changed my feul filter too, and starting improved alot. The starting issue actually clued me into changing mine

DW

Originally posted by spiff56747

did your tune-up include changing the fuel filter? my car had hard starting problems, and after I changed out the filter it was fine.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:18 PM

I had the same problem, I took out my starter and cleaned it and regreased it. The old grease had all dried up, after the regrease the car starts right up; should hold until the starter finally goes.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:34 PM

looks like people have already pointed you in the right direction- the only other thing I can think of is that you may have a bad tank of gas and could possibly use some dry gas to help it. you may also want to try turning the key to the on position (but not crank it) for about 5 seconds so that the fuel pump gets gas to the engine... then crank it...

but I tend to mostly agree that you fuel filter is clogged
Old 05-13-2002, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by theblue
looks like people have already pointed you in the right direction- the only other thing I can think of is that you may have a bad tank of gas and could possibly use some dry gas to help it. you may also want to try turning the key to the on position (but not crank it) for about 5 seconds so that the fuel pump gets gas to the engine... then crank it...

but I tend to mostly agree that you fuel filter is clogged
You didn't use BOSH plugs when you tuned it up. If you did get rid of them. They s*uck.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:01 PM

Hey guys..

The won't start anymore. I turn the key, and I dont hear anything. I dont think it's the battery anymore. I hope it's something simple.

How much does the starter run for? Someone told me that I should hit it while cranking the car so that something will break free. I figure I'm replacing it anyway, so it's worth a shot.

When I did my tune up, it included the fuel filter. The guy put in new platinum plugs, from Nissan I believe. I really should do all the maintenance myself. I dont want to spend any money on this car anymore in labor. It has over 100k miles, and hell.. I would be completely happy if it lasted me another 60k

Thanks in advance,
-Brian.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:41 PM

Hey guys..

The won't start anymore. I turn the key, and I dont hear anything. I dont think it's the battery anymore. I hope it's something simple.

How much does the starter run for? Someone told me that I should hit it while cranking the car so that something will break free. I figure I'm replacing it anyway, so it's worth a shot.

When I did my tune up, it included the fuel filter. The guy put in new platinum plugs, from Nissan I believe. I really should do all the maintenance myself. I dont want to spend any money on this car anymore in labor. It has over 100k miles, and hell.. I would be completely happy if it lasted me another 60k

Thanks in advance,
-Brian.
It's the starter, it needs to be replaced.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:52 AM

Hey guys..

Thanks in advance,
-Brian.
the problem is the starter, but don't throw the starter away cause you can save like 60 dollars if you give it to a auto parts store like napa or checkers or something...it's the starter though. you can take out the starter by yourself it's pretty easy.good luck
Old 05-21-2002, 05:33 PM

Thanks guys..

I replaced the starter today, and now I have a check engine light. Any ideas as to why? I'm going to take it apart again tomorrow and see if there is anything that I forgot to connect. Argh.

You guys were right about it being the starter. As for the old starter, it doesn't actually "save" you $60, but rather they charge you an additional fee that they will refund if you bring the old one back. Kind of ridiculous IMO, but oh well.

Thanks,
-Brian.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:59 PM

Thanks guys..

I replaced the starter today, and now I have a check engine light. Any ideas as to why? I'm going to take it apart again tomorrow and see if there is anything that I forgot to connect. Argh.

You guys were right about it being the starter. As for the old starter, it doesn't actually "save" you $60, but rather they charge you an additional fee that they will refund if you bring the old one back. Kind of ridiculous IMO, but oh well.

Thanks,
-Brian.
Some possible cause from things that you disconnected are the intake air temp. sensor and the MAF sensor. If it were the MAF, you're car would run like crap, so it's probably the temp. sensor located on the bottom on the plastic intake plumbing right above the transmission.

If you go to the 4th gen forum and look at the stickies, there is one on the ECU that tells you how to pull the specific code.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:09 AM
Maximaniac

How much does a starter cost? I think I need one too.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by cmac95gxe
How much does a starter cost? I think I need one too.
your looking at about 100-120 if ya get one from a shop im not sure how much junkyard stuff is, but if ya can go to pep boys I know most of the people in here would rather die than go there but I like them for OEM parts a lot cheaper than the dealer and on the started I had to replace they gave me lifetime warty and it since the year i had that one had to replace it again and they gave me the new one free so **** ill keep replaceing it all the time free if i have to
Old 05-25-2002, 11:26 PM

Great.. today, I go out to start up the car and again, nothing. I had just replaced the starter, the car ran fine for the past week with the new starter, and now it doesn't.

Could the new starter already be out? This is ridiculous. I can't believe how much of a piece of **** this car is.

-Brian.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:26 AM

Hey guys..

I noticed that when replacing the starter there is a wire that you need to put behind a nut and screw it in. But there are two posts that you can screw that wire into. Which one?

Thanks,
-Brian.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:02 PM

Nevermind.. damn power wire came loose.

But which post do you connect the wire to?
-Brian.
Old 05-26-2002, 04:51 PM

Nevermind.. damn power wire came loose.

But which post do you connect the wire to?
-Brian.
The one on the right