4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What exactly is a Limited Slip Differential? And should I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 09:37 PM
Licensed to Spell

What exactly is a Limited Slip Differential? And should I get one?

My transmission is being upgraded right now. The owner/mechanic called me today and said he would like to install a LSD. It would be $425. I'm not exactly sure what it does. From what I understand if one wheel is slipping/loosing control, it transfers the power to the other wheel. Is this accurate? Does it only help when you are loosing traction or are there other benefits? Any straight-line benefits or only durring cornering? Are there any negatives? Did they ever offer one in the Maxima? Any and all info. is much appreciated. I have a day or two to get back to him with a decision. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know the technical specs very well - people have told me they are very beneficial when making turns (removes a fair amount on understeer, because each front wheel is allowed to turn independantly) and helps straight line starts because it's harder to make the front wheels loose traction. Check these links:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=120159

Did you do a search??????
Old 05-15-2002, 12:14 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

an LSD provides traction to the wheel that slips to the wheel that grips...hehe, on an open diff,(stock Max) when one tire spins, all power goes to that tire. it also helps eliminate most of your torque steer. the Quaife unit is better then the stock Nissan one, but also much more costly. im running the Nissan VLSD, ive heard that its not a 50/50 split, more like a 70/30 split. After driving it for awhile and seeing how it performs, i do belive what ive heard.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:20 AM

Hey Josh,

Auto or 5spd tranny? I hope you're going with the 5spd LSD tranny. That's my future plan.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:29 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by Cumalot
Hey Josh,

Auto or 5spd tranny? I hope you're going with the 5spd LSD tranny. That's my future plan.

No, I'm not a stick shift kind of guy Mike. I'm just putting a lot of work/money into my auto. Hardware upgrade, VB upgrade, TC upgrade, possibly add LSD.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:30 AM

Re: What exactly is a Limited Slip Differential? And should I get one?

Originally posted by ptatohed
My transmission is being upgraded right now. The owner/mechanic called me today and said he would like to install a LSD. It would be $425. I'm not exactly sure what it does. From what I understand if one wheel is slipping/loosing control, it transfers the power to the other wheel. Is this accurate? Does it only help when you are loosing traction or are there other benefits? Any straight-line benefits or only durring cornering? Are there any negatives? Did they ever offer one in the Maxima? Any and all info. is much appreciated. I have a day or two to get back to him with a decision. Thanks in advance.
If you can get LSD installed for $425 go for it. If you plan on going to the track you will find a big difference compared to a one-wheeler-peeler. Everyone on here complains about no traction at the strip and this is one great way to help minimize it. I also like it in the snow and especially coming out of corners on dry pavement, you can put the hammer down and it will literally pull you around the corner, big difference. Only problem occurs is when you lose traction on snow or water, if you don't back of the throttle the car will go sideways because both wheels spin, but 99.9% of people back off under those conditions anyway so no problem.

Cdn SE's have VLSD installed as standard equipment and I wouldn't want to be without it.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:23 AM

Re: Re: What exactly is a Limited Slip Differential? And should I get one?

Originally posted by Jime
Cdn SE's have VLSD installed as standard equipment and I wouldn't want to be without it.

Yup...I got one too

FLO_BOY
Old 05-15-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

No, I'm not a stick shift kind of guy Mike. I'm just putting a lot of work/money into my auto. Hardware upgrade, VB upgrade, TC upgrade, possibly add LSD.

Oh well. It's still cool that you're building up the auto. Not going to be cheap. If I had the money to do a full buildup of the auto, I might do that. For the moment, a 5spd conversion is cheaper. Good luck Josh. Keep us updated.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:18 AM

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Cumalot

Oh well. It's still cool that you're building up the auto. Not going to be cheap. If I had the money to do a full buildup of the auto, I might do that. For the moment, a 5spd conversion is cheaper. Good luck Josh. Keep us updated.

Josh was happy to read the title but I forgot your auto I was about to post get the cattman quaife but thats for 5 speed vehicles only .

Cumalot we got a meet this sat in Atlanta.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by JAY25

Cumalot we got a meet this sat in Atlanta.

I'm jealous. Sounds like fun, wish we could have some sort of a big meet down in New Orleans...yeah right...lol.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:13 AM

What brand is this LSD, and can I get one? I was under the impression that I had to get the entire I30/Maxima Canadian transmission to get this part, you sure it works in our US trannys? Are they both the same casing and everything?

Yes, I'm going the same route (as soon as the tranny goes south though). TC, VB, and maybe the tiptronic shift kit from Level10.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:33 AM

Josh...

Be careful... As far as I know there are no commercially available LSD units for the Auto Maxima...make sure he isn't trying to rip you off. Not to say he is, but just check to make sure. I would ask for mega proof on that.

If it is an OEM unit for a Canadian/I30 tranny wouldn't it require a Different tranny casing cause of halfshaft size differences? Or is that on the 5 speed only?

Anyway, be careful, because if he has an LSD to sell for Auto Maximas he has to have some sort of connection that no one else here does.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:21 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by delio
Josh...

Be careful... As far as I know there are no commercially available LSD units for the Auto Maxima...make sure he isn't trying to rip you off. Not to say he is, but just check to make sure. I would ask for mega proof on that.

If it is an OEM unit for a Canadian/I30 tranny wouldn't it require a Different tranny casing cause of halfshaft size differences? Or is that on the 5 speed only?

Anyway, be careful, because if he has an LSD to sell for Auto Maximas he has to have some sort of connection that no one else here does.
I didn't have a chance to talk to him yesterday (finals) but I will today. I will talk to him about what you said. From what he said a few days ago when we talked was it is from a Nissan. He did say he wasn't 100% sure it would work though. He ordered it and then would let me know if it fit. I asked him if it was from a Maxima and he said he thought so but that the Sentra and Maxima units were very similar. I didn't even know the Sentra had LSD. ?? I didn't really like that answer but I have to trust he will only install it if it works. I'll let you know what he says today. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:16 AM
Licensed to Spell

Just talked to him. Del, you are absolutely right. He said I will nned a new trans. case. That is an additional $1000. Possible but ~$1400. I'll pass for now and consider it in the future. Thanks everyone for the help.

Quick question. Which modles exactly offer this? All Canadian? Only Canadian SEs? Only certain years? Any US Maximas? US I30s? Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:20 PM

I know this post is 2 weeks old but I thought of it when I was inspecting my car today. I was looking through the FSM and the U.S. I30s with leather and I believe the touring models also come with auto lsd. It was a nice surprise to find out I have lsd
Old 05-31-2002, 01:08 PM

I GOT ONE I GOT ONE

sorry. but i got a canadian SE. is there any extra maintenance i should do on my LSD? i wanna keep my tranny etc in good shape.