4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 Auto: Hard shift into second

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 06:55 AM

96 Auto: Hard shift into second

I have a 96 Automatic. When shifting from 1st-2nd usually before the car has a chance to warm up, it shifts real hard. Occasionally, it will even shift back to first, like it wasn't really ready to shift into second in the first place. Could this be caused by the low-end lack of power due to my JWT Pop Charger, or is it more transmission related.

I can't tell because it seems like the engine is forcing a shift before the transmission is ready for it...

Am I making any sense? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:03 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You are making sense. Now a couple of questions.

1) How hard are you stepping on the gas when this happens?
2) What RPM's is the tranny shifting at.
3) When was the last time the fluid was changed or the level checked for that matter?
4) Is your POP Charger really dirty?
Old 05-16-2002, 07:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

Time for a 5spd swap.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:17 AM

Check the dropping resistor that is located on driver's side front strut tower. It is a horizontally mounted silver rectangle, about 3 inches long, that has a 2-wire connector on one end.

When you unplug a properly working resistor, the transmission will shift very hard. If you notice no change shift firmness when you unplug it, you either need to replace the resistor or check the wiring harness.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:27 AM

Check your throttle position sensor

My '96 GXE was doing the same thing, so I took it to the dealer. I brought some printouts from this web site (do a search for "shift shock" and you'll see a bunch of info about this problem), and it turned out to be the first thing on the diagnostic list: misadjusted throttle position sensor. I've noticed that the cold shifting is still a little harsh, but it's much better after the car's warmed up. Adjusting the TPS definitely made a difference.

There's actually a web site that I've seen referenced here that has detailed instructions on how to test/adjust your TPS using only a multimeter and a screwdriver (do a search to find it). You might want to try that if you want to save yourself the hassle and cost of going to the dealer.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:20 AM

Re: Check your throttle position sensor

Where is this throttle posotion sensor, i have the same problem with my 95 max with 114,000 miles on it and this might be the trick. Please someone save me max and tell me where this dam thing is. My car has a lot of trouble shifting sometimes, and whatever you do, do not screw around with that shift resistor!!!!is will perminatly mess up your tranny!! please help me where is it located.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:24 AM

Re: Re: Check your throttle position sensor

Originally posted by maxperformance
Where is this throttle posotion sensor, i have the same problem with my 95 max with 114,000 miles on it and this might be the trick. Please someone save me max and tell me where this dam thing is. My car has a lot of trouble shifting sometimes, and whatever you do, do not screw around with that shift resistor!!!!is will perminatly mess up your tranny!! please help me where is it located.
Here is the link that details where your TPS is and how to adjust it:

http://www.vbxmaxima.8m.com/tps.html
Old 05-16-2002, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
You are making sense. Now a couple of questions.

1) How hard are you stepping on the gas when this happens?

Normal to Hard

2) What RPM's is the tranny shifting at.

Probably 2500 RPM

3) When was the last time the fluid was changed or the level checked for that matter?

A month ago

4) Is your POP Charger really dirty?
A month and a half old... Not real dirty...