4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Guess what got flushed today......

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 08:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Guess what got flushed today......

Got my transmission flushed at my local Nissan stealer. Now my tranny fluid is crisp and clean.
My car has 91,000 miles on it and I want it to last a real long time. I will start doing my own drain and fills now that I know it has super clean fluid. The car does feel like it runs a little nicer now that I got this done but, it is probably the placebo effect (for all of you psych majors).

I did this in anticipation of installing the ME VI and NOS kit #5124.

The one thing that did surprise me was how dirty the fluid they flushed out was. I bought the car with 50,000 miles on it and joined the .org about 10,000 miles ago.

After reading some posts, it is real clear that clean tranny fluid and regular oil changes are essential!!
Old 05-16-2002, 08:45 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

And I was going to guess it was your Toylet.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:56 AM
Keven97SE

Re: Guess what got flushed today......

A complete auto transmission fluid change/flush should be performed every 30-40K miles. Tranny life will suffer otherwise.

Originally posted by dlicari
Got my transmission flushed at my local Nissan stealer. Now my tranny fluid is crisp and clean.
My car has 91,000 miles on it and I want it to last a real long time. I will start doing my own drain and fills now that I know it has super clean fluid. The car does feel like it runs a little nicer now that I got this done but, it is probably the placebo effect (for all of you psych majors).

I did this in anticipation of installing the ME VI and NOS kit #5124.

The one thing that did surprise me was how dirty the fluid they flushed out was. I bought the car with 50,000 miles on it and joined the .org about 10,000 miles ago.

After reading some posts, it is real clear that clean tranny fluid and regular oil changes are essential!!

Old 05-16-2002, 09:11 AM
i SeE what you did therE

my tranny will be flushed very soon... bout 3-5k
Old 05-16-2002, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by redmaxpa007
my tranny will be flushed very soon... bout 3-5k
Old 05-16-2002, 02:00 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

I'll prob. get my tranny flushed before the fall, fluid still looks good for now
Old 05-16-2002, 02:22 PM

If tranny fluid could get cancer, mine was working it's way towards it.

The machine they use allows you to see the old and the new side by side. big big difference!
Old 05-16-2002, 02:29 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: If tranny fluid could get cancer, mine was working it's way towards it.

The machine they use allows you to see the old and the new side by side. big big difference!
that is just gross

cancer.. ewwww ever see that stuff on tv surgery??

eewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 05-16-2002, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: If tranny fluid could get cancer, mine was working it's way towards it.

I had this done at Valvoline.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:03 PM

are you auto or 5spd?

i did my own and am in a 5 spd.
i only did the fluid and not the filter, should i do the filter and tranny fluid now? its only been like 10k.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:46 PM

How much did it cost? Did you bring your own ATF or did they install yours? I got a quote today of $80 for the flush and they will install My AMSOIL ATF. Is that a good price? It was an Infiniti dealer by the way.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:51 AM

I paid $95 with their fluid at a Nissn Dealer.

This dealership does good work. I got quoted lesser pricing by Jiffy Lube etc. but they are not to trustworthy in my area. Doesn't sound like a bad price.
DL
Old 05-18-2002, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by karguy
How much did it cost? Did you bring your own ATF or did they install yours? I got a quote today of $80 for the flush and they will install My AMSOIL ATF. Is that a good price? It was an Infiniti dealer by the way.
How many quarts of ATF did they tell you to bring?
Old 05-18-2002, 09:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know of any web sites that explain how to change manual Transmission fluid? Or if it's simple I could figure it out.
I have 55K miles and have no clue how often that needs to be changed.

Oh yeah I have another question how often do you guys change brake fluid? I heard you dont need to bleed the brakes unless there is air in them but should I do it by miles?
Old 05-18-2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by maxxed

How many quarts of ATF did they tell you to bring?
1997 Maxima Automatic Transmission holds 10 quarts according to 1997 Maxima Service Manual. I taking 12 quarts to be on the safe side. I didn't ask how many quarts should I bring because I already knew from my research..
Old 05-18-2002, 11:05 AM

Where are you located? $80 is a good price, plus they let you bring your own fluid.

I lived in Bay Area, and I could find one to let me bring my own.

Old 05-18-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by SunMax
Where are you located? $80 is a good price, plus they let you bring your own fluid.

I lived in Bay Area, and I could find one to let me bring my own.

I live in Charlotte, NC.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:02 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

thats a good price
I need to find a place to do mine. It is reccomended by Nissan to do it when u hit 60k miles, then like every 30 from then on... but from the oil analysis, it is actually better to do it earlier then that.. I am at 66-67k miles, original fluid... damn, i keep putting the flush off...
Also, i want to make sure they actually FLUSH the fluid, not just drain and fill and tell me and charge me for a flush.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
thats a good price
I need to find a place to do mine. It is reccomended by Nissan to do it when u hit 60k miles, then like every 30 from then on... but from the oil analysis, it is actually better to do it earlier then that.. I am at 66-67k miles, original fluid... damn, i keep putting the flush off...
Also, i want to make sure they actually FLUSH the fluid, not just drain and fill and tell me and charge me for a flush.
I'll be observing everything they do, they just don't know it yet!
Old 05-18-2002, 12:22 PM

Good point.

I found a place called Oil Changers, and they use a machine call Evac 7000. What they do is put a hose thought the dip-stick hole, and suck up the fluid, then refill. They claimed the machines can clean up the sludge on the oil pan too. From what I saw, I really doubt it. So, don't try that!

Oh... when I was there to do the tanny fluid change, I was watching it all the time, and man I am glad I did. After they suck up the old fluid (which is still pretty new), this guy wanted to put a bottle tranny conditioner or something, and I was like, "Wait a minute! What was that?" To make the story short, I insisted that I don't need that.

No additives is going into any part of my car.

I'll be observing everything they do, they just don't know it yet!
Old 05-18-2002, 03:17 PM

I would like to get my manual trans flushed with Redline synthetic fluid within the the next couple of weeks......does anyone know the fluid capacity of the manual trans?
Old 05-18-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by mitch33x
I would like to get my manual trans flushed with Redline synthetic fluid within the the next couple of weeks......does anyone know the fluid capacity of the manual trans?
According to Service Manual these are the fluid capacities of 1997 5 speeds.
Transaxle model RS5F50A 4.5 - 4.8 liters
Transaxle model RS5F50V* 4.3 - 4.5 liters
*This transmission has viscous coupling
Old 05-18-2002, 07:47 PM

According to Service Manual these are the fluid capacities of 1997 5 speeds.
Transaxle model RS5F50A 4.5 - 4.8 liters
Transaxle model RS5F50V* 4.3 - 4.5 liters
*This transmission has viscous coupling
Thanks for the info...I assume the second one you listed is the trans with a LSD

The maxima manual trans only holds 4.5-4.8 liters, which is about 5 quarts? for some reason i thought it was more?
Old 05-19-2002, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by mitch33x

Thanks for the info...I assume the second one you listed is the trans with a LSD

The maxima manual trans only holds 4.5-4.8 liters, which is about 5 quarts? for some reason i thought it was more?
You are correct the second transmission has LSD. I think 5 quarts would do it.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:46 AM

Re: Guess what got flushed today......

Don't honk your horn so quick. When you had your transmission flush, how many quarts of fluid did the dealer use? Maximas can hold up to 16 quarts of tranny fluid. By removing the drain plug, pan and changing the filter, you will only be changing out about 25% of the transmission fluid in your car. That is because your transmission and torque converter can hold the remaining 75% of you transmission fluid. To remove the fluid that still remains in the transmission, you have to go to the dealer or a reputable repair shop. I just got my car back from the dealer for a TSB on the auto tranny. They wouldn't replace my fluid w/ Royal Purple so This morning I took it to MMJ and had the entire trans flushed and replaced with 16qts of RP. That's a tranny Flush. I have a 2000 SE w/ 36k.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:15 PM

Re: Re: Guess what got flushed today......

Originally posted by Edward Lee
Don't honk your horn so quick. When you had your transmission flush, how many quarts of fluid did the dealer use? Maximas can hold up to 16 quarts of tranny fluid. By removing the drain plug, pan and changing the filter, you will only be changing out about 25% of the transmission fluid in your car. That is because your transmission and torque converter can hold the remaining 75% of you transmission fluid. To remove the fluid that still remains in the transmission, you have to go to the dealer or a reputable repair shop. I just got my car back from the dealer for a TSB on the auto tranny. They wouldn't replace my fluid w/ Royal Purple so This morning I took it to MMJ and had the entire trans flushed and replaced with 16qts of RP. That's a tranny Flush. I have a 2000 SE w/ 36k.
Automatic Transmission on Maxima holds 9.5quarts, Check Nissan FSM. Some flush procedures may require 16 quarts that's all!
Old 08-31-2002, 09:56 AM

Beware of tranny flushes 9.5 quarts Only

Thanks for the info. When I returned from MMJ AKA Pep Boys (San Gabriel, CA), I decided to check my trans dipstick due to the fact that 16 quarts seems like a bit much. The fluid was nearly coming out the top. F'in Pep Boys! I removed the drain plug and drained out much of the fluid and started over in my garage. This morning I am going back to PB to demand that they refund my money to me. In addition, I am going to demand that they pay for the extra quarts that were drained out of my car, about 120oz. Too much fluid, too much pressure, blown tranny, Pep Boys liable. They told me that my car took 16 quarts and that if I wanted to use Royal Purple that I would need to bring in 16 quarts. This capacity came from their computer system. When I purchased the fluid NAPA told me that I can return any unopened quarts. In addition, when they were doing the exchange, the return hose popped off and tranny fluid went everywhere. Took me hours to clean my car inside and out when they returned to to me with a free can of carpet shampoo and engine cleaner. Good work guys! TSB on the transmission solenoid was fixed courtesy Wondries Nissan under 60k warranty, THANKS GUYS Kudos to you.
Old 08-31-2002, 10:09 AM

Re: Beware of tranny flushes 9.5 quarts Only

Originally posted by Edward Lee
Thanks for the info. When I returned from MMJ AKA Pep Boys (San Gabriel, CA), I decided to check my trans dipstick due to the fact that 16 quarts seems like a bit much. The fluid was nearly coming out the top. F'in Pep Boys! I removed the drain plug and drained out much of the fluid and started over in my garage. This morning I am going back to PB to demand that they refund my money to me. In addition, I am going to demand that they pay for the extra quarts that were drained out of my car, about 120oz. Too much fluid, too much pressure, blown tranny, Pep Boys liable. They told me that my car took 16 quarts and that if I wanted to use Royal Purple that I would need to bring in 16 quarts. This capacity came from their computer system. When I purchased the fluid NAPA told me that I can return any unopened quarts. In addition, when they were doing the exchange, the return hose popped off and tranny fluid went everywhere. Took me hours to clean my car inside and out when they returned to to me with a free can of carpet shampoo and engine cleaner. Good work guys! TSB on the transmission solenoid was fixed courtesy Wondries Nissan under 60k warranty, THANKS GUYS Kudos to you.
Absolutely unbeleivable! They must pay their mechanics minimum wage!!
Old 08-31-2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by WeirdBird
Does anyone know of any web sites that explain how to change manual Transmission fluid?
you can figure it out. To make it brief, jack the car up, take out 2 bolts, drain, replace lower bolt, fill through upper bolt hole, replace upper bolt.
There's more to it. I'll type out the FSM and Chilton's if u really want.
Jae