4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 08:22 PM
m.baird

electrical problems

help help help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My problem first started a few weeks ago when on the instrument cluster my brake and battery lamps starting coming on and going off very dimly. It won't do this until after the car warms up. Also it doesn't affect anything as far as a malfunction. Now a new problem has started along with the above mentioned problem. I can be driving down the road and all of a sudden the radio (factory installed bose system) will stop playing. If I push on the brake, it will come back on, push on the gas and it goes off. Also every once in awhile at night, all of the lighting, gets very bright for abouy thirty seconds and then it's back to normal!! I had my car sitting in my driveway pushing on the gas and then on the brake and got the same effect as driving on the road. Also everytime I did this I could here a relay behind the radio pull in and drop out.

Does anyone know if there is a specific module that is common to all of this? Does this sound like a good ole everyday short?

Could the cars computer be doing this ? Any help will truly be appreciated. THANKS

Old 05-16-2002, 10:37 PM

If most of the electrical items are effected I would first check to make sure the battery terminals are tight. A loose terminal will cause this problem. If there ok I would have the altinator load testd. Some shops have the equipment to do this on the car.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:00 AM

Maximus75 is right; check those things first. Also, you really should get a FSM and find the diagram that shows the locations of all of the electrical connectors. I would then disconnect each one, spray it with CRC Concact Cleaner and re-connect.