4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bucking when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 09:18 AM
smokin96se

My maxima started doing something strange yesterday. I started it up, waited about 10 seconds or so, and tried to take off. It started bucking real bad. I waited a minute or two and tried it again, and everything was normal.

This morning it did the same thing. I tried revving it a little and it would start to break up around 2000rpm. I waited a little while and tried driving again. It was drivable but real rough until it warmed up. Once the engine temp was up to normal everything seemed fine. Under full throttle it feels like it always did.

Could this be a result of:
Cold wet weather?
58kmi on the original plugs and fuel pump?
Bad gas?
Or does it signal imminent failure due to the wrath of my right foot?

smokin96se
1996 Arctic White Maxima SE 5Speed

Old 11-30-2000, 09:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bad gas would be my first guess... try putting some dry gas in your car and see if it cleans up...
Old 11-30-2000, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by smokin96se
My maxima started doing something strange yesterday. I started it up, waited about 10 seconds or so, and tried to take off. It started bucking real bad. I waited a minute or two and tried it again, and everything was normal.

This morning it did the same thing. I tried revving it a little and it would start to break up around 2000rpm. I waited a little while and tried driving again. It was drivable but real rough until it warmed up. Once the engine temp was up to normal everything seemed fine. Under full throttle it feels like it always did.

Could this be a result of:
Cold wet weather?
58kmi on the original plugs and fuel pump?
Bad gas?
Or does it signal imminent failure due to the wrath of my right foot?

smokin96se
1996 Arctic White Maxima SE 5Speed
Idea #1) The oil companies change their gasoline blends as the seasonal temperatures change. They may have been a bit late to do this in your zone. This is not "bad gas", it is just summer blend. If this is the problem it will go away with the next fill-up.

Idea #2) A "cold engine driveability" complaint may be caused by a faulty Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. This is the sensor which signals the Engine Control Module (the computer) regarding "cold engine" or "warm engine". When the signal is "cold engine" the ECM directs the fuel injectors to deliver a rich mixture. This is analogous to the function of the choke on a carbureted engine. You may have a bad ECTS. This is easy to check, requiring only an ohmmeter.

Idea #3) You may have a low fuel pressure condition. Please make this simple experiment next time you start your car. Turn the key to ON, wait ten seconds, and then twist the key to START. This gives the fuel pump some extra time to build pressure in the fuel rail. If your engine starts readily and runs smoothly after this brief delay, you may have a weak fuel pump or a bad check valve.
Old 11-30-2000, 10:27 AM

Had the car reached it's normal op temp before you parked it last? If I start my car and shut it off in a few secs (like to move it) it runs rough for a bit. Other than that, it sounds like a sensor. Try the batt disconn trick.