4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ALL clear tail light project...update

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 07:46 PM

ALL clear tail light project...update

i wanted to make the taillight all clear.i bought some diamond cut lens ,i got the 96 se.i havn't had that much time to play with it but this is a rough draft of what i had in mind.i was gonna but the outside talilights clear and then i was gonna cut a big lens to cover the clear/red portion of the inside taillight BUT when i saw that there was a little "curve" i guess you could call it i got stuck.i'm talking about the red bottom inner lens.how am i gonna make that the same as the original.

has anybody tried to do this?has anybody succeded? if i do it alright i'll post up details for er'body
peace out nigz
Old 05-18-2002, 08:43 PM

Re: ALL clear tail light project...update

Originally posted by TooCold96
i wanted to make the taillight all clear.i bought some diamond cut lens ,i got the 96 se.i havn't had that much time to play with it but this is a rough draft of what i had in mind.i was gonna but the outside talilights clear and then i was gonna cut a big lens to cover the clear/red portion of the inside taillight BUT when i saw that there was a little "curve" i guess you could call it i got stuck.i'm talking about the red bottom inner lens.how am i gonna make that the same as the original.

has anybody tried to do this?has anybody succeded? if i do it alright i'll post up details for er'body
peace out nigz
To curve the bottom part of the lens, use a heat gun to soften the plastic and mold it how you want it.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:44 PM

will a hair dryer work????????
Old 05-18-2002, 10:06 PM

will a hair dryer work????????
Can't hurt to try. It may take a while to heat it up enough to bend it, and it won't be as flexible as if you used a heat gun, but you might as well gve it a shot. Heat gun is ideal.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:47 PM

<<----still can't picture what a heat gun is..? help me out
Old 05-19-2002, 05:55 AM

<<----still can't picture what a heat gun is..? help me out
a heat gun is....let me put it this way...a hair dryer is equivalent to ur max...a heat gun is equivalent to a supercharger/turbocharger/nitrous max...

now as far as all clears i have ur answer...i have yet to try it myself but looks good on paper so far...this applies to red/clear or all clear...take ur oem taillights...break the first layer of lense...at the bottom should be another layer which is all clear...buy a set of altezza taillight...take the lense apart....use the clear lense from the altezza and put it on the oem taillight..paint it if u wish...then voila...u have all clears or even red/clears at ur discretion...
Old 05-19-2002, 06:05 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Heat Gun
Old 05-19-2002, 06:25 AM

u mean dis?
Old 05-19-2002, 06:26 AM

or dis?
Old 05-19-2002, 06:59 AM

Just a word of warning. the way I understand the law, clear tail lights are legal as long as they glow red/amber as needed. Having said that, the cops just love to pull people over for this and write tickets for illegal lights. It might not be worth the hassle to make this look good then have to spend more time on the side of the road saying yes sir and no sir to a cop when he figures he'd rather write a ticket than catch a real criminal. Good luck with it anyway.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Freedog
Just a word of warning. the way I understand the law, clear tail lights are legal as long as they glow red/amber as needed. Having said that, the cops just love to pull people over for this and write tickets for illegal lights. It might not be worth the hassle to make this look good then have to spend more time on the side of the road saying yes sir and no sir to a cop when he figures he'd rather write a ticket than catch a real criminal. Good luck with it anyway.
tru dat...so dat y u go to autozone...and buy red reflective tape and put it on ur car...just a lil strip...then u're not breaking the law...the law: light has to be red...back/side has to reflect red at nite....back has to reflect red at nite...
Old 06-13-2002, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

tru dat...so dat y u go to autozone...and buy red reflective tape and put it on ur car...just a lil strip...then u're not breaking the law...the law: light has to be red...back/side has to reflect red at nite....back has to reflect red at nite...
I went to HomeDepot and bought Acrylic lens, and hoping to do this project tomorrow. However, I am just wondering, how do you cut this lens? Also, which sides does it suppose to be attach toward out. You know this lens has smooth and rough side, just wondering depend on how to put this if brake light pattern might change.