4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help Please....I Crashed my Max Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 08:34 AM

Help Please....I Crashed my Max Last Night

Okay.......where should I start....I was driving last nite when I took a sharp corner goin like 60.......stupid me....I caught air and when my tires hit the ground I was slanted....so I spun the wheel to compensate and went into a spin.....my front end grazed a tree pretty hard......my air bags came out....so basically now I"m screwed...the side of the car is fine...the hood is bent up alittle....the whole portion around the head lights and below is smashed up...I think my radiator got messed up too...I'm wondering if it's totaled...I don't think it is but can you guys try and tell me how much $$$$$$ we are talking about...here is a list of all the damage I know of...

1. New Hood
2. New Radiator
3. New Front End
4. 2 Air Bags

Everything else appears fine...Any Help would be greatly appreciated.....Thank You
Old 05-19-2002, 08:48 AM

Re: Help Please....I Crashed my Max Last Night

Originally posted by NissanDrunk99
Okay.......where should I start....I was driving last nite when I took a sharp corner goin like 60.......stupid me....I caught air and when my tires hit the ground I was slanted....so I spun the wheel to compensate and went into a spin.....my front end grazed a tree pretty hard......my air bags came out....so basically now I"m screwed...the side of the car is fine...the hood is bent up alittle....the whole portion around the head lights and below is smashed up...I think my radiator got messed up too...I'm wondering if it's totaled...I don't think it is but can you guys try and tell me how much $$$$$$ we are talking about...here is a list of all the damage I know of...

1. New Hood
2. New Radiator
3. New Front End
4. 2 Air Bags

Everything else appears fine...Any Help would be greatly appreciated.....Thank You
i don't know about the other stuff, but if i'm not mistaken, 2 new airbags are at least $3k...so you have a better chance of having it totalled once the airbags are out
Old 05-19-2002, 09:46 AM

Thanks Man....neone else have ne info????
Old 05-19-2002, 10:07 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

if it helps, i went to my friendly local used auto parts junkyard and they have a maxima front end in good condition if you're interested.

In Georgia.

good front, good hood, maybe even airbags in the steering column, radiator if the engine is still in there?

I can get you the phone number if you're interested.
It's a 95-96 front end, either dark green or black i forget. (it even has clear corners on it) I was eyeballin it when i was there
Old 05-19-2002, 10:24 AM

it's totalled...
Old 05-19-2002, 10:32 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

he said only the front, i think my idea would work
Old 05-19-2002, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by LeX
he said only the front, i think my idea would work
right, he said only the front, but he said the airbags deployed, which is major money to get new ones and install, as well as replacing all those airbag sensors...then he still has the radiator to worry about, and he doesn't know what else there is that could be damaged, there might be more...and i just looked at his profile and he says he has a 95 SE...well, I just went to kbb.com and put in a 95 SE with everything, completely loaded, and that private party value came out to only 6900, and I don't know what all he has, so this is just the highest value...so the chance is pretty great that it is totalled
Old 05-19-2002, 10:53 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

you are definitely right about the totalled bit, i am just saying if the front end i found has the airbags in it (the front end was most likely from a rear end totaled car) and still had an engine in it (less important) then he could replace everything if he really likes his car. and dont forget, it even has clear corners :P
Old 05-19-2002, 11:15 AM

well I"m from CT.....so I'm not too sure how that would work......but I gotta talk to my parents and stuff first.......see what they think is best and all.......but thank you for your info on the front end
Old 05-19-2002, 11:20 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

np, hope everything works out. Let me know if you need the phone number
Old 05-19-2002, 12:35 PM

I hope you werent drunk!

DPW
Old 05-19-2002, 01:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Similar type accident happened to me only I was going about 20-30. It costed $13k to fix. The car was worth about $15k at the time so I came very close to totaling it. Your car is probably totalled.
Old 05-19-2002, 04:10 PM

Well if your car is totaled you should sell the parts on the org.

i got dibs

-Ian
Old 05-19-2002, 04:21 PM

if ur car is totalled...i want ur tailights, so let me know.
when my friend got in an accident...he didn't replace his airbags
cus it cost too much. so he jus drove without airbags...if ure
willing to take that risk....airbags probably cost the most
but search for them on ebay...i've seen some
Old 05-19-2002, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by EN_Maxima
Well if your car is totaled you should sell the parts on the org.

i got dibs

-Ian
I got the tranny if its a 5spd

Sorry to here about it... Do you have full coverage?

My Max got hit in the side, right in the passenger wheel, total was ~$12k... When this happened my blue book value was $19k..

Your car blue books around $6k

So unless you have no mechanical damage, its probably gonna be totaled.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:19 PM

well yeah I had collision......so I"m just crossin my fingers and hopin they don't total the car......my insurance company is Liberty Mutual...they are pretty cool.....hopefully everything will work out.....guess I'm back to my Pontiac Grand Am days......sigh.....it sux......
Old 05-19-2002, 05:39 PM
FJC

1. New Hood
2. New Radiator
3. New Front End
4. 2 Air Bags

If your airbags came out... You may have structural damage. Take it to someone you know and have them total it up...
Old 05-19-2002, 05:46 PM

Just report it as a hit and run. Or report it stolen.
Old 05-19-2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by 2drunk
that would be called insurance fraud and some other criminal felony i'm guessing...would get you into a lot more trouble than it would be worth
Old 05-19-2002, 06:48 PM

well yeah I had collision......so I"m just crossin my fingers and hopin they don't total the car......my insurance company is Liberty Mutual...they are pretty cool.....hopefully everything will work out.....guess I'm back to my Pontiac Grand Am days......sigh.....it sux......
GTP?
Old 05-19-2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by mitch33x

GTP?
I'm not following you on that one......what's GTP???
Old 05-19-2002, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I had my accident, all I needed was a new front bumper assembly and that cost $3k all by itself. U r screwed if you don't want it totalled. Good luck though.
Old 05-19-2002, 07:17 PM

I'm not following you on that one......what's GTP???
a Pontiac model
Old 05-19-2002, 07:39 PM

Can you tell me what junkyard you went to, im looking for a 95 gauge cluster.

tks

Originally posted by LeX
if it helps, i went to my friendly local used auto parts junkyard and they have a maxima front end in good condition if you're interested.

In Georgia.

good front, good hood, maybe even airbags in the steering column, radiator if the engine is still in there?

I can get you the phone number if you're interested.
It's a 95-96 front end, either dark green or black i forget. (it even has clear corners on it) I was eyeballin it when i was there
Old 05-19-2002, 07:42 PM

I smashed the hell out of my 97 2 months ago and they fixed it. 2 new airbags, sensors, bumper, hood, radiator, alternator, harmonic balance, the works. Oh yeah, and it cost 1400 to repair just the sunroof, which got bent somehow. Insurance company paid over $10,500 to fix my car, but its a 97, loaded. Sounds like your accident was similar, I am not sure what year you have, but figure if you have a 95, they'll sink at least 7 or 8k into it for you. I guess it depends on how bad you smashed it up.
Old 05-19-2002, 07:55 PM

yeah well my father is in the car business and I"m hopin I could get some good dealer prices......he said 800 for an air bag.....so if I just get one reinstalled......it will save me some money.....Hopefully
Old 05-19-2002, 07:57 PM
FJC

Re: Re: Help Please....I Crashed my Max Last Night

Take it to someone you know and have them total it up...
Old 05-19-2002, 08:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Help Please....I Crashed my Max Last Night

Originally posted by FJC
Take it to someone you know and have them total it up...
Insurance Co. will probably want an adjuster to come do the estimate. I didn't have a choice, they sent the guy to my house and let me choose where I wanted to go after they decided how much they would give me.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:08 PM
FJC

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help Please....I Crashed my Max Last Night

Originally posted by StaindMaxima

Insurance Co. will probably want an adjuster to come do the estimate. I didn't have a choice, they sent the guy to my house and let me choose where I wanted to go after they decided how much they would give me.
Of course but the adjusters are ****ing idiots... Good bodyshops get "all the money"...

Never, I mean NEVER EVER EVER EVER let a jerk off adjuster go to your house to do an estimate... Take your car IMMEDIATELY to a bodyshop and get a rental. If you don't know anyone at the bodyshop, make friends with him quickly... Talk to him and let him know what you are looking for...

ALL bodyshop owners HATE adjusters...

If your car is still at your home, get it to a shop...
Old 05-19-2002, 08:54 PM

Who ever said that don't let an adjuster come home, and take the car to the shop immedeatley is right.

First of all, if you hit as hard as you said you did, you may have frame damage. If you have frame damage its 99% chance that it will be totalled. Did your winshield crack? Check the aligment of all the doors, if you see anything that doesn't line up, you most likely got frame damage. Do you have dents on the back side of the fenders, where it meets the door (btw check the vertical spacing between the fender and the door, if its uneven, start worrying), even if you have a small dent on the back side of the fender where it meets the door, it may be the sign, that the "crumple zones" got crumpled. They don't restore cars after that, its pretty much totalled.

Also are you leaking anything? you said the radiator got busted, but are you also leaking engine oil? If you are leaking engine oil, that may mean that your engine got moved around, which could mean a broken or a cracked support...or worse.

Anyway, insurance adjusters just take down the damge they usually see. They won't go into the "guts" of the car, and look for damage. Their hourly rate estimates are waaaay to low, and their part cost estimates are low too. You need to take the car to the shop, where they should take it apart, find out exacly what is broken and what is not, and they will give insurance adjust and estimate based on their work rates, and what the parts will cost, which will actually reflect how much it will cost to fix that car. Also talk to the body shop guy to fluff up the estimate so that you won't have to pay the deductible. Also if there is not to much damage (aloth I doubt that, My bet is that its totalled-sorry), put some additional dents in yourself, so you will get a full body paint job. Usually its very hard to match a color of the older car becuase of the fading, so unless you get a full body paint job, your new body parts will be a few shades off.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:56 PM
FJC

Who ever said that don't let an adjuster come home, and take the car to the shop immedeatley is right.

First of all, if you hit as hard as you said you did, you may have frame damage. If you have frame damage its 99% chance that it will be totalled. Did your winshield crack? Check the aligment of all the doors, if you see anything that doesn't line up, you most likely got frame damage. Do you have dents on the back side of the fenders, where it meets the door (btw check the vertical spacing between the fender and the door, if its uneven, start worrying), even if you have a small dent on the back side of the fender where it meets the door, it may be the sign, that the "crumple zones" got crumpled. They don't restore cars after that, its pretty much totalled.

Also are you leaking anything? you said the radiator got busted, but are you also leaking engine oil? If you are leaking engine oil, that may mean that your engine got moved around, which could mean a broken or a cracked support...or worse.

Anyway, insurance adjusters just take down the damge they usually see. They won't go into the "guts" of the car, and look for damage. Their hourly rate estimates are waaaay to low, and their part cost estimates are low too. You need to take the car to the shop, where they should take it apart, find out exacly what is broken and what is not, and they will give insurance adjust and estimate based on their work rates, and what the parts will cost, which will actually reflect how much it will cost to fix that car. Also talk to the body shop guy to fluff up the estimate so that you won't have to pay the deductible. Also if there is not to much damage (aloth I doubt that, My bet is that its totalled-sorry), put some additional dents in yourself, so you will get a full body paint job. Usually its very hard to match a color of the older car becuase of the fading, so unless you get a full body paint job, your new body parts will be a few shades off.
2Drunk knows what's up...
Old 05-19-2002, 09:04 PM

You can't have work done on your car though if you don't know if it's totalled or not and only the insurance co. can make that decision, which means that the adjuster has to look at the car. Also the check that you get from the insurance co. is whatever the adjuster estimates. I had the choice to go to an "non-insurance co. approved" body shop, but if it cost extra it came out of my pocket, whereas an ins. co. shop does it for the amount of the estimate guaranteed. Besides, I don't care who gets the money, as long as my car go fixed correctly. Around here anyway, and I know Mass. has different insurance regulations than anywhere else on the planet, except maybe NJ, the ins. co. won't cut a check until the adjuster estimates, regardless of what a body shop says.

My panels did line up well after the accident, doors included, no uneven spacing. My engine doesn't leak anything, neither does the new radiator. Anything that wasn't fixed correctly, I had the right to have the re-fix. The work was guaranteed, and the additional parts required were paid for by the ins. co.

The bottom line is, it didn't cost me much, the body shop even took care of most of the deductible, and the car looks good, and I am very meticulous about my car.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:54 PM

Thats probably not the best idea. Not very believable, at least not the hit an run idea, stolen idea is risky at best. Not likely insurance company would buy either story, especially with deployed air bags
Old 05-19-2002, 11:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by StaindMaxima
You can't have work done on your car though if you don't know if it's totalled or not and only the insurance co. can make that decision, which means that the adjuster has to look at the car. Also the check that you get from the insurance co. is whatever the adjuster estimates. I had the choice to go to an "non-insurance co. approved" body shop, but if it cost extra it came out of my pocket, whereas an ins. co. shop does it for the amount of the estimate guaranteed. Besides, I don't care who gets the money, as long as my car go fixed correctly. Around here anyway, and I know Mass. has different insurance regulations than anywhere else on the planet, except maybe NJ, the ins. co. won't cut a check until the adjuster estimates, regardless of what a body shop says.

My panels did line up well after the accident, doors included, no uneven spacing. My engine doesn't leak anything, neither does the new radiator. Anything that wasn't fixed correctly, I had the right to have the re-fix. The work was guaranteed, and the additional parts required were paid for by the ins. co.

The bottom line is, it didn't cost me much, the body shop even took care of most of the deductible, and the car looks good, and I am very meticulous about my car.
Yup same thing happened to me, and I'm in Cali.

They replaced hood, both fenders, bumper, radiator, and even some front frame pieces that got bent.. The car looks newer than it did before the accident, and runs just fine. The assessment was 7 grand though, so if your car is worth less than that, it'll be totalled.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:32 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

1. New Hood
2. New Radiator
3. New Front End
4. 2 Air Bags

OUCH!! Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear that you're ok. Feel bad for what happened to your max

I had a similar accident like yours 2 yrs ago on my Altima, but mine was weather-related, however my air bags didn't go off and my accident came to approx. $4K from Insurance. Had to wait 2 months to get my Altima back and was stuck w/ a Taurus (Tortoise) for that time, but from what you're describing about your damage, if it's serious enough, then unfortunately you'd have to claim the car totalled
Old 05-20-2002, 07:04 AM

well the Maxima is goin to the body shop today.....I'm thinking about replacing only one air bag for $800 rather than 2 for 1600 so that should save me some money.....no side damage and the doors look like they line up fine....no major problems other than the front end which needs a new bumper and headlights etc....the engine got pushed in alittle bit but nothin extreme I think only the radiator got effected because it was hissin like crazy after the accident....I know some good junk yards and a great mechanic so I can only keep my fingers crossed on this one......Thanks for the comments guys......
Old 05-20-2002, 08:51 AM
rmb

well the Maxima is goin to the body shop today.....I'm thinking about replacing only one air bag for $800 rather than 2 for 1600 so that should save me some money.....no side damage and the doors look like they line up fine....no major problems other than the front end which needs a new bumper and headlights etc....the engine got pushed in alittle bit but nothin extreme I think only the radiator got effected because it was hissin like crazy after the accident....I know some good junk yards and a great mechanic so I can only keep my fingers crossed on this one......Thanks for the comments guys......
An engine doesn't get "pushed in a little bit" without there being frame damage. If you push the engine to the right only "1/4 inch" you're still really screwed. Also you'll need new sensors as well as the air bags themselves. I don't think you can replace only one air bag and still have the system diagnose itself correctly. Unless you find someplace who will rig it... but most decent places probably wouldn't. Also don't plan on crashing into anything with that bag disabled since you'd be signing the death warrant of someone in the passenger seat. I'd hate to think of lawsuit from that one...

Make sure you get estimates from several good body places that know what they're doing....

-RMB
Old 05-20-2002, 09:01 AM

well I finally got the hood open......Radiator turned out fine might have been the AC or something....but the engine did shift and is alittle crooked.......it's at the shop now hopefully I'll have an estimate soon.......
Old 05-20-2002, 09:45 AM

well I finally got the hood open......Radiator turned out fine might have been the AC or something....but the engine did shift and is alittle crooked.......it's at the shop now hopefully I'll have an estimate soon.......
I had my engine shifted over, fender, bumper and hood replaced in December when I went into a spin on a heavy snow road. Nothing deployed because I was going around 15-20 mph and almost got out of the spin successfully but my tires are horrible (Planning on getting that fixed). Anyway, if I were you let the insurance company decide what to do and do without the airbags if it costs too much. I have a question, is it possible to take the rear airbags and install them in the front?
Old 05-20-2002, 09:47 AM
rmb

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC

I had my engine shifted over, fender, bumper and hood replaced in December when I went into a spin on a heavy snow road. Nothing deployed because I was going around 15-20 mph and almost got out of the spin successfully but my tires are horrible (Planning on getting that fixed). Anyway, if I were you let the insurance company decide what to do and do without the airbags if it costs too much. I have a question, is it possible to take the rear airbags and install them in the front?
Rear airbags???

-RMB

Quick Reply: Help Please....I Crashed my Max Last Night