4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

98 - Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 11:57 PM
Freqness

98 - Overdrive

I just bought a used 98 a few days ago. I noticed that the car was very sluggish coming off the stop, and then i realized the Overdrive was on. After turning it off the car runs much smoother (I know I'm and idiot...) but the light "O/D Off" stays on the dash - Is that normal? you would think they would have a light come on when the O/D is on, not when its off...thanx for any info.

-Freq

Old 05-20-2002, 12:07 AM

Re: 98 - Overdrive

Originally posted by Freqness
I just bought a used 98 a few days ago. I noticed that the car was very sluggish coming off the stop, and then i realized the Overdrive was on. After turning it off the car runs much smoother (I know I'm and idiot...) but the light "O/D Off" stays on the dash - Is that normal? you would think they would have a light come on when the O/D is on, not when its off...thanx for any info.

-Freq
Usually you keep OD on (no light). OD off means that it will not shift into overdrive gear which also means that it will keep the tranny in 3rd gear.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:24 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

O/D on or off has no effect on shift firmness or shift points. It's only function is to lock out 4th gear.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:43 AM
Freqness

so should I keep it on or off? wat do mostof you guys do?

Old 05-20-2002, 08:49 AM

I usually turn off the O/D when I'm cruising around town at 25-35 mph. The shift logic of the Max is biased toward fuel economy, so if you're using light throttle, it tries to stay in as high a gear as possible. It gets annoying when the tranny shifts repeatedly between 3rd and 4th, so that's why I turn it off. You definitely want to leave the O/D on while cruising on the highway, otherwise your fuel economy will suffer greatly. Also, since the revs are much lower in O/D, it's a lot quieter.

It makes sense that the light comes on when you turn the O/D off since it would be easy to forget that you had done it, but I wish that the light were green (informational) instead of yellow (warning).
Old 05-20-2002, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Freqness
so should I keep it on or off? wat do mostof you guys do?
Most people would choose to keep O/D on because it saves a lot of fuel. If you're racing though, you'll want to make sure it's off, especially from a roll because it will keep the shift points higher...
Old 05-20-2002, 10:44 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by RastaManMax
If you're racing though, you'll want to make sure it's off, especially from a roll because it will keep the shift points higher...
This is not true.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

This is not true.
i dunno but when my o/d is off, my car will redline 1st gear when its gunned - but when its on, it will change at about 6000
Old 05-20-2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

This is not true.
You would mind elaborating?
Old 05-20-2002, 11:34 AM

Well, I don't know personally but I've heard the same. According to www.maximadriver.com it is better to turn O/D off when racing. They also suggest that you might want to put it on 2nd and shift up to Drive when you hit around 30mph. I'm not sure WHY, though. ANyone know why...please post.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The advantage of O/D off or manually shifting while street racing is that you can hold the gears. It does not affect the way the trans shifts...at all.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:41 AM

auto. with a JWT ECU for the engine that moves up the rev limitter?

Would the trany go all the way to the new rev limit point?
Old 05-20-2002, 11:57 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

i dunno but when my o/d is off, my car will redline 1st gear when its gunned - but when its on, it will change at about 6000
again your incorrect

4grookie- the only way to change the shift points at wide open throttle is to manually shift from 1-2, 2-d, d to o/d. try www.howstuffworks.com for breakdowns on auto trannies

the best way to shift is for you to figure out which one works for you.

i try and start in 2, when i start in 1 i sometimes push it to far and end up in d so i get the redline shift from 2-d

as norm ben your right
Old 05-20-2002, 12:21 PM

the only way to change the shift points at wide open throttle is to manually shift from 1-2, 2-d, d to o/d.

Have you ever tried shifting this way? Does it improve results? At what points should you shift?
Old 05-20-2002, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by bags533

again your incorrect

4grookie- the only way to change the shift points at wide open throttle is to manually shift from 1-2, 2-d, d to o/d. try www.howstuffworks.com for breakdowns on auto trannies

the best way to shift is for you to figure out which one works for you.

i try and start in 2, when i start in 1 i sometimes push it to far and end up in d so i get the redline shift from 2-d

as norm ben your right
Thanks. Ive been trying to figure whats best for me. I just got my max a month ago and I havent really raced too much. Although I was wondering why the hell I was taking so long to pull at freeway speeds. Damn OD!
Old 05-20-2002, 12:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you're racing from a complete stop, I don't think having OD on/off make any difference. I have tested this at the track and noticed no difference at all. Your butt dyno might tell you one thing, however, if you really want to test out the theory, run at a track and see for yourself. I have tested it like I said, and there was no difference at all. If you're on the highway, then maybe turning OD off would make a difference. If you have OD off, when you hit the gas, it only have to downshift one gear to 2nd gear instead of downshifting two gears with OD on. That's on the highway only though. So on the street, from a complete stop, I don't think it make any difference. If you're racing from a roll, maybe it's better to have OD off. I'm not sure of that theory though.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:45 PM

4GRookie, I think the only thing you sensed might be if you do not stop completely the trany will takeoff in 2nd insted of going down to 1st, that could maby explane what you sensed. But if you would have presed harder on the gas it would have downshifted to 1st.

Just my 2cent!
Old 05-20-2002, 05:33 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by Neuhowse
the only way to change the shift points at wide open throttle is to manually shift from 1-2, 2-d, d to o/d.

Have you ever tried shifting this way? Does it improve results? At what points should you shift?

Yes I drive like that when I race. I shift just past redline.

well your shift points depend on your car. you need a dyno first. But basicly once you see the needle pass 6500 rpm push it into the next gear.

becareful not to push to hard might end up in Neutral and that is a no no.

Marcgxe95-very good point
Old 05-21-2002, 11:25 AM

I also change the gears manually on my auto. I have driven 5-speeds all my life and this is my first auto so I am used to downshifting around turns. I will turn the OD off and even drop down to 2nd around truns. I feel that the power is better once you get out of the turns. One thing that I do notice is on the highway when I try to gain speed and I keep the OD off my car doesnt pull after like 3500 RPM's but as soon I click the OD button so it can shift up the car pulls more before it gets to 4th gear. SOunds confusing I know.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Neuhowse

Tried that at the track. No difference in times whatsoever.

I tired once manually shifting and once just leaving it in D. Both times with OD off. No difference in times.

4th gens will automatically shift once it gets past 6500 rpm when at WOT. Manually shifting yourself is just added hassle.

If you want to manually shift, go buy a 5 speed. Autos are not meant to be treated/driven like 5 speeds.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by clee130

If you want to manually shift, go buy a 5 speed. Autos are not meant to be treated/driven like 5 speeds.
Yeah, I wish. I loved the 4th Gen from the day my father brought it home so when I graduated, he just gave his to me. The auto is the only thing I would change. oh well...can't do anything, for now. You can bet my next MAX will not be automatic, though.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by clee130

Tried that at the track. No difference in times whatsoever.

I tired once manually shifting and once just leaving it in D. Both times with OD off. No difference in times.

4th gens will automatically shift once it gets past 6500 rpm when at WOT. Manually shifting yourself is just added hassle.

Thanks Clee, thats the way I race mine, leave it in D with OD on. It seems to shift pretty well on its own ie around 63-6500 or so. Seems to work not too bad. I like to watch other stuff vs shifting, like the EGT, Fuel Pressure, reaction time. rear view mirror and the win light.

Neuhowse automatics rock.