4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

On my way to make brake cooling ducts w/oem fogs but i...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 08:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

On my way to make brake cooling ducts w/oem fogs but i...

Ok , i got everything pretty much figured out and total cost is about $25 give or take a few. The thing i need help with is where the duct should exit(blow on the brake). I thinking of coming out the front splash guard towards the inner side of the car but not a 100% sure that would be the best spot. So i need ur guys' input here, what would be ideal without getting too exotic with the cutting.

thanks in advance
Old 05-20-2002, 09:34 PM

Sounds like an interesting project, but I'm not sure how effective it will be. There is quite a bit of space between the splash guard and the rotor, and you also can't get too far away from the splash guard because there has to be wheel clearance.
I'd say your best bet is to make a hole level with the foglight that runs straight to the wheel well. As for ducting after that you're on your own. Even if you just left the hole I suppose it would provide more air to the wheel well, but you'd probably be better off with a set of 300ZX wheels.
-hype
Old 05-21-2002, 07:32 PM

bump?
Old 05-22-2002, 04:58 PM

would you have to put a screen in there to keep animals out if you hit ny and they go in there,just asking and good luck
Old 05-22-2002, 05:08 PM
Sin

Re: On my way to make brake cooling ducts w/oem fogs but i...

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
Ok , i got everything pretty much figured out and total cost is about $25 give or take a few. The thing i need help with is where the duct should exit(blow on the brake). I thinking of coming out the front splash guard towards the inner side of the car but not a 100% sure that would be the best spot. So i need ur guys' input here, what would be ideal without getting too exotic with the cutting.

thanks in advance
Why don't you look into water injection? Race trucks in Europe use water vaporisers to cool the rotors. Pretty easy to do, and works VERY well.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:53 PM

Re: On my way to make brake cooling ducts w/oem fogs but i...

Originally posted by Mad Dhan

thanks in advance
I was thinking about this a long, long time ago. Anyhow, you can either use ducts from the bottom opening from the bumper or use your foglight holes...it's all the same...but I was thinking about running the pipe to blow air onto the back-side of the rotor (the inside half since air flows on the outside anyhow). All that is required is to find the proper size ducts (hoses or what not) for your application and just either zip-tie or secure them somehow...then remove your dust cover on the inside of the rotor.

After thinking about this for about 1 hour...I decided it wasn't worth it since our brakes don't get "rotor-glowing" hot anyhow.

But have fun with the project if you decide to go all the way through with it.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:20 PM

Re: Re: On my way to make brake cooling ducts w/oem fogs but i...

Originally posted by MaxedBandit

I was thinking about this a long, long time ago. Anyhow, you can either use ducts from the bottom opening from the bumper or use your foglight holes...it's all the same...but I was thinking about running the pipe to blow air onto the back-side of the rotor (the inside half since air flows on the outside anyhow). All that is required is to find the proper size ducts (hoses or what not) for your application and just either zip-tie or secure them somehow...then remove your dust cover on the inside of the rotor.

After thinking about this for about 1 hour...I decided it wasn't worth it since our brakes don't get "rotor-glowing" hot anyhow.

But have fun with the project if you decide to go all the way through with it.
Thanks, i was actually thinking of this for auto-xing tho so it should help somewhat and it cant hurt for city/hwy driving. How hard is it to remove that dust cover you are refering to? I was actually thinking of coming out the front splash guard as close to the inside as i possibly can.

Part 2 of this proj is proabably gonna be tapping into the left brake duct for my CAI or some form of it.