4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Letting some steam out

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 08:26 AM

Letting some steam out

Just want to let off some steam.

Almost two months ago I left my max at a Nissan's service department. It made a loud grinding sound everytime I took a sump while driving fast and sometimes the car wouldn't start until I rocked it while in parking. Knowing this was not a common behavior I expected that it would take them some time to find the problem in my car. They told me that, worst case scenario, it would take three weeks if it was something related to the transmision and no parts were in stock.

They didn't find the problem but ordered some parts anyway because they said the valve body and the differential looked worn. When they finally got the parts and proceeded to install them they found that one of the axles was broken so they ordered parts again. They installed the parts and told me that now the wheel bearings were making noises. I was mad, but I controlled myself in front of them. A month and two weeks had gone by and I demanded that they gave me a car while mine was in repairs. They gave me a dirty Nissan truk with one headlight busted, busted shocks, mechanic's scent and a sticker that gave it permission to enter the "vertedero municipal" (sorry for my lack of english, its were the garbage is disposed).

Any way, they gave me the car yesterday after a month and tree weeks waiting. They overhauled the transmission, changed the axle, a transmission mount, the axle boots and the park/neutral switch. The warranty covered everything (at least!). Now my transmission feels good and no noises, but I feel that the car sometimes stays in the shifts longer and jumps agressively into third gear in the highway when I accelerate. Yesterday, I went to Pepboys to align the car and they told me they couldnt because my R&P was busted. To top it off, my "service engine soon" light turned on while I was driving to work today.

After all this a question for the guru's.

Is there a posibility that the car computer has to re-learn my driving habits? or, Is it just calibrated wrong?
Old 05-21-2002, 08:54 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

WOW you had some major headaches. Give the car and the DRIVER a few days to adapt to the new tranny. Your SEL light back on is a concern. Pull the codes if you can. There may still be an issue with the new tranny.

R&P busted? Go straight back to Nissan, REMAIN CALM and tell them what the guys at Pep Boys said. They may or may not laugh at you for taking the car to Pep Boys. I'd get a second opioion on that one if I were you.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
WOW you had some major headaches. Give the car and the DRIVER a few days to adapt to the new tranny. Your SEL light back on is a concern. Pull the codes if you can. There may still be an issue with the new tranny.

R&P busted? Go straight back to Nissan, REMAIN CALM and tell them what the guys at Pep Boys said. They may or may not laugh at you for taking the car to Pep Boys. I'd get a second opioion on that one if I were you.
oh man - they should give you money back for making you wait so long

pepboys to get an alignment is a bad idea btw - yours better off taking it to one of the private tire dealers, such as firestone or goodyear