4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Phase II Red/Clear Taillights 97-99 (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 07:49 PM
MaximaFreak

Phase II Red/Clear Taillights 97-99 (LONG)

Hopefully we all know the downfall of cleared out 97-99 taillights ... the flourescent light cover used as the lens. This is not a very effective lens and does not diffuse light the way a real lens would. I don't find it particularly dangerous, but I can see how someone COULD have a problem seeing them as they DEFINITELY aren't as bright/full as OEM blinkers.

Well, after a couple of weeks worth of contemplating and tests, I have a cheap and easy way to brighten the blinkers in your 97-99 cleared taillights. However, I spent so much time and thought thinking and doing that you have to hear the whole story:

First I contemplated glue and glitter. This would probably work for those with the patience, but it was a little too arts and crafts for me.

Second I bought 12x12 pieces of mirror. I custom cut them with a glass cutter to fit together in a puzzle to cover the terrain that is the blinker body. This was tedious and time consuming and yielded less than desirable results for the amount of work I did. In the end, the problem was covering ALL angles of the taillight with a thick rigid material that was hard to cut perfectly to spec.

Finally, I tried the most common reflective household product that is malliable - tin foil. DUH! I do think that I'm the first to think of it, but I hope I'm not. That was too easy ... I was looking for all the hard stuff and did all that work and all it took was about 6 cents worth of tin foil and minimal work. I just used some of that clear glue that holds the lens to the light - I put it at the edges to stick the tin foil to.

The result is phenominal. I had my neighbor out there (who thought I was nuts) and he agreed that in comparison to the non-tin foil light, the one with tin foil was about 3 times brighter! I was disappointed because I thought it would carry more amber light than white, but I think that's my cheap bulbs. The brightness could not be measured in a picture, it was just seen. Kind of hard to explain. I guess you can think of it as taking pictures of headlights, you really can't guage brightness. (Okay, I guess you can a little, but seriously, it didn't come out.) Daytime results will be seen in the morning, but I'm confident it'll be brighter.

Last thing is to get good amber bulbs and hope for the best. BTW, did anyone find certain amber bulbs to be more amber or brighter than others?

In any event, a write up will be forthcoming, what with the group deal going on and all. I'll have 5 sets of lights to take pictures of.

All you DIY'ers - enjoy!
Old 05-20-2002, 07:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That is a good idea. I have cleared mine and think that they are plenty bright at night but during the day I see how they can be very easy to not notice. Post the results during the day because if its brighter I will fix mine up this weekend.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:22 PM

good stuff, proabably will do if ever feel like, its just one of the those mods u got to be forced into, not something you go do, for me at least
Old 05-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This is a good idea as I noticed the lights weren't that visible especially in daylight. The only problem is that I don't want to take out my taillights and then have to take them apart. Too much trouble for all that. I applaud your industriousness though!
Old 05-21-2002, 12:33 AM

try PolarG Hyper Amber bulbs!

and remmember not to add Mustard to your nachos!!

Ant
Old 05-21-2002, 02:26 AM

Since your lights are cleared out, can you see the tin foil from the outside? does it look shiny?
Old 05-21-2002, 06:03 AM

I am not totaly happy with the way my lenses came out. I have bought a dremel and was thinking about redoing them. Now I may try this tin foil thing. I am unhappy with the way they are hard to see during the day. I was also thinking of putting an amber bulb in the side marker and wiring it to come on with the blinker(only). The more light the better. I also want to put a new lens in the back up lights so they match.

Is there any chance of getting someone to manufacture a clear lens that fits and matches the stock back up lights? (Greg are you listening?) Or would development costs be to high for such a cheap item?

Would the lens on the Korean Max/SM520 fit into our tails? Could you buy it separatly? We already know the tails will not fit.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=117534
Old 05-21-2002, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Phase II Red/Clear Taillights 97-99 (LONG)

Is it possible to get some pictures of what the tails look like on your car with the foil? I think I might clear out my tails sometime soon and if it looks good and is easy to put the foil in, I might be interested in giving it a try
Old 05-21-2002, 10:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

something that might be a little easier than tinfoil is the plumbers aluminum tape they sell at places like Home Depot and Lowes...it's a metal tape...very much like tinfoil, but it has adhesive on the back.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:46 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by Lime
something that might be a little easier than tinfoil is the plumbers aluminum tape they sell at places like Home Depot and Lowes...it's a metal tape...very much like tinfoil, but it has adhesive on the back.
Actually, the tin foil works a little better because it crumples making more reflective points. A consistently flat surface doesn't reflect as well as a surface with may facets. Simply by putting the foil in wrinkles it and creates facets that make it that much more reflective. That tape is a good idea and if you wanna try it, go for it, but I don't think it will yield any better results than tin foil.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:48 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by Draino
Since your lights are cleared out, can you see the tin foil from the outside? does it look shiny?
It does look a real little bit shiny and if the foil isn't cut right it will look like something is messed up on the side of the tails (the part that ends up being on the side of the car). My driver's side looks fine, but the passenger side, when the blinker is on, looks like the plastic piece is cut wrong because of the way the tin foil is laying. Its hard to explain, but I will try to get some photos so you all can learn from my mistake.