4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

To everyone who told me painting my cloth seats couln't be done

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 06:02 PM

To everyone who told me painting my cloth seats couln't be done

...I think I should just let the pictures speak for themselves.

I also included some pics of my painted trim. Enjoy. Let me know what you think.

-Ian

http://www.geocities.com/springrunnj/car/11.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/springrunnj/car/6.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/springrunnj/car/7.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/springrunnj/car/8.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/springrunnj/car/25.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/springrunnj/car/26.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/springrunnj/car/27.jpg
Old 05-21-2002, 06:04 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

this page is not available.

We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I want to do it now! The backs seats looks okay, but the fronts look great. How about a How-To? And speaking of it, how much did it cost, where did you get the paint from, how much time did it take, and in your opinion is it worth it? also could dye my seats red/black?
-Cyrus
Old 05-21-2002, 06:19 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Please write this up!

Also, can we get a close up shot of your AC controls, if they are painted? If not, nevermind.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:25 PM

PAGE IS NOT AVAILABLE ?????wha up with that, I want to see the pics.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by ripper7
It's Geocities, people... you have to cut & paste the address in a new window!
-Cyrus
Old 05-21-2002, 06:28 PM
i SeE what you did therE

umm............

you painted the seats.. so now you will be sitting in paint..right?

and this summer when it is hot and you get into the car... aren't you gonna stick??
Old 05-21-2002, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by ripper7
copy and paste the url he gave into your browser, geocities is ghetto when it comes to serving pics. - it looks good! - i just wish i didnt have a beige interior
Old 05-21-2002, 06:59 PM

First off, yes, geocities is pretty stupid about linking so you will have to copy and paste.

As for time, the entire job took me about 2 days, although I did stop so theoretically you really could get it done in one day. I started one afternoon, then stopped about 5pm and finished the next morning.

The price, a a grand total of 15 dollars. 3 cans of paint, so in my opinion it is definetly worth it.

As for comment about the summer time and heat its ok. Its already been 90 degrees here some days and it seems fine. No rubbing off or anything. The paint is fabric paint which I purchased at car parts. It did make the fabric a bit stiffer, but its still comfortable and you can't even tell when your sitting on it.

There is one downside however. After painting it and reinstalling the seats my car REAKED, of spray paint. So I sprayed a whole lot of FEBREEZE and opened up a brand new air freshener (morning fres ). The next day I get into my car and it smelled horrible. The paint smell compltetly masked the Febreeze and air freshener. So I rode arond with my windows cracked all day. The next day I shut all my windows and went to school. When I came back my car had been sitting in the sun. I go to get in and get right back out. The smell was overwhelming. I had to let it air out for a minute before driving home. My suggestion for anyone who will be doing this is to after your done painting, open all your windows and park your car in the sun. After a while of letting it air out, Febreeze it and put in an air freshener.

I'm pretty happy with the end result. It took about a days work, 15 dollars of paint, and having to deal with a paint smell for about a week. In my opinion it is definetly worth it.

I'll try to do a right up for it if anyone is interested, but i'll have to send the HTML file to someone else to host.

-Ian
Old 05-21-2002, 07:06 PM

Vyrus - yes I think you could definetly do red and black. It would probally just take a little longer and cost more.

mzmtg - The console is actually that plastic stick on molding that I bought from exoticwooddash.com It was my first mod and now that I look back on it, it wasn't really worth the money. Painting would have saved me a lot more money. The pieces from exotic wood dash come pre-cut so all you do is stick them on.

redmaxpa007 - Yes you will be sitting in paint, but like I said in my other post. It won't rub off. Maybe if the seats were leather it may, but mine were cloth, so it basically just soaked in.

-Ian
Old 05-21-2002, 07:12 PM
pro

Pics don't work, it went over the allowed transfer. Can you please post these somewhere else as I really want to see how this looks?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 05-21-2002, 07:16 PM

try using a cardomain account...i would really like to see these pics as well
Old 05-21-2002, 07:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Looks good.
Too bad I can't spray paint my leather seats
Old 05-21-2002, 07:20 PM

Did you use a spray paint or a brush on paint?
-Cyrus
Old 05-21-2002, 07:29 PM

wow...that does look nice...damn, too bad i can't paid leather, that would be sweeet
Old 05-21-2002, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
Did you use a spray paint or a brush on paint?
-Cyrus
I think he said in like his second post that he used spray paint, not sure though
Old 05-21-2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
this page is not available.

We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages.
you have to put the links in manually. geocities is ghey like that. i'll forgive you hecause you have caffeines tho
Old 05-21-2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by 97BlackMax

I think he said in like his second post that he used spray paint, not sure though
I thought he just said he used a can? Doesn't matter anyways...
BTW, where did you get the paint EN_Maxima?
-Cyrus
Old 05-21-2002, 07:59 PM

Vyrus - Its a spray on. It looks just like regular spray paint but it is designed for fabric.

When painting the seats I removed them and set them in the driveway. then took masking tape and taped along the seams. I did the same for the headrests. I then covered the middle with newspaper and taped it down. This way the masking tape gets the edges really precise and the newspaper covers everything else I don't want painted. Then once all that was done I just went at it with the spray paint.

-Ian
Old 05-21-2002, 08:23 PM

Can you send me the pics via email, I cant see them...

The transfer rate is done for the day...

Luke@vqpower.com
Old 05-21-2002, 08:24 PM

Wow - I would love to do this, but don't know if I have the guts. Aren't you concerned that the paint, when really hot and wet, might bleed onto your clothing? One of my friends left a pen on his cloth seats, and on a hot day it exploded; for the next 2 months, anytime it would be hot, and one of us sat on the seat, we would end up with "blue a**," as we lovingly refered to it.

What convinced you to finally take the plunge and do it? That took some real guts - props to you.

Ashok
Old 05-21-2002, 08:53 PM

I'm not real worried about the color coming off cause it hasn't so far. I mean, there have been some really hot days and some really humid ones and the color has stayed on. The paint I got was designed for fabric so i'm guessing its meant to adhere well to the cloth. I looked at it like this. If the seats come out good awesome, if they come out and they look bad and the paint is rubbing off I can always buy seat covers. It turned out for the better though so I'm happy.

-Ian

PS- I bought the paint at CAR Parts, but i'm sure you can find it at any auto store. Its just called Fabric Paint.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:18 PM
FJC

I might rent a midget and we'll paint each other up
Old 05-22-2002, 04:31 AM
i SeE what you did therE

i still can't believe you spray painted your seats...
Old 05-22-2002, 06:46 AM

So you knew Geocities will not let you link pics. So if you knew how to post the darn pics, couln't you build an HTML file with the pics in it so that all the people can see the pics?? Why would you post pics on Geocities knowing that Geocities is pretty stupid about linking???? . Some people ....

Originally posted by EN_Maxima
First off, yes, geocities is pretty stupid about linking so you will have to copy and paste.

Old 05-22-2002, 08:21 AM
FJC

Originally posted by redmaxpa007
i still can't believe you spray painted your seats...
Me either..
Old 05-22-2002, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by dvpatel99se
So you knew Geocities will not let you link pics. So if you knew how to post the darn pics, couln't you build an HTML file with the pics in it so that all the people can see the pics?? Why would you post pics on Geocities knowing that Geocities is pretty stupid about linking???? . Some people ....

yes, I know how stupid could I have been? I didn't want to spend my entire night designing a website for 7 pictures so I did the easy way by just uploading. However, since this bothered me so much I made a page just for you with the linked pics. http://www.geocities.com/springrunnj/car/index.html

-Ian
Old 05-22-2002, 09:10 AM

Ian,

You don't need to build a website. Just puild a small webpage with the image tags and post that html for people to see. . BTW thanks for building the "website" but now you have exceeeded the allowed data transfer . I hate Geocities.

Originally posted by EN_Maxima

yes, I know how stupid could I have been? I didn't want to spend my entire night designing a website for 7 pictures so I did the easy way by just uploading. However, since this bothered me so much I made a page just for you with the linked pics. http://www.geocities.com/springrunnj/car/index.html

-Ian
Old 05-22-2002, 10:53 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by dvpatel99se
Ian,

You don't need to build a website. Just puild a small webpage with the image tags and post that html for people to see. . BTW thanks for building the "website" but now you have exceeeded the allowed data transfer . I hate Geocities.

Browse pics here ...

http://www.maximafreak.com/EN_Maxima/
Old 05-22-2002, 12:27 PM

Looks like I found my solution to my grey cloth inserts.
Since I got black leather seats, the grey door inserts have been bugging me.
Where did you buy this fabric paint? I am going to paint the cloth inserts black so they dont clash with my seats.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:24 PM

what color was your interior before? i have tan, and i want black or charcoal BAD. i just hope this stuff doesn't stain clothing or anything....
Old 05-22-2002, 07:05 PM

The seats prior to painting were solid charcoal. You can see it on the middle of my seats. I just used newspaper and covered everything I didn't want painted. The paint hasn't rubbed off yet and its been on for about 2-3 weeks so I think I'm ok. Just get "fabric paint" at Car Parts or some other auto store.

-Ian
Old 05-22-2002, 07:17 PM

Jeff, maybe there's an idea for your next mod. if you can get over the fact that he spray painted his seats it looks nice though.

red and black
Old 05-22-2002, 07:18 PM

how do u guys think this would look over a tan cloth interior? i want to spray the seats black or at least charcoal. also, would this work on the carpet?
Old 05-22-2002, 10:03 PM

I know it would probly be ugly as all he!!, but I really want to paint the center section of all my seats bright green. It would be unique Of course, it would also depreciate the car about $1000 being so ugly...decisions, decisions!
Old 05-22-2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by DiscoGsus
I know it would probly be ugly as all he!!, but I really want to paint the center section of all my seats bright green. It would be unique Of course, it would also depreciate the car about $1000 being so ugly...decisions, decisions!
i wont let you.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:58 AM

do u think the tan would show throught the paint? i want to paint over it and make it charcoal or black. does this stuff work on carpet?
Old 05-23-2002, 11:17 AM

oh my gosh... i cant believe you guys like that crap!!! who in their right mind would want to do something as stupid as that? cmon now guys...
Old 05-23-2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by j0hnxt
oh my gosh... i cant believe you guys like that crap!!! who in their right mind would want to do something as stupid as that? cmon now guys...
im mainly looking for a way to change my carpet to black or grey or something of that nature because i have had no luck in finding a wrecked maxima ANYWHERE in my area to swap interiors with.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
im mainly looking for a way to change my carpet to black or grey or something of that nature because i have had no luck in finding a wrecked maxima ANYWHERE in my area to swap interiors with.
try dying it.

Quick Reply: To everyone who told me painting my cloth seats couln't be done