4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clear tail inserts

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 07:37 PM

Clear tail inserts

I just bought the replacement lense sheet to do my tails but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying pre cut pieces for clearing the tails out. I figure that I will cut as many as I can out of the sheet. I would sell them for $10 a pair shipped. I am gonna cut some with the red side reflector and some the whole piece. Let me know if anyone is interested and I will get cutting. I dont want to make any deals until I get them cut and can post pics for you guys. Just let me know if there is interest first.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:26 PM
syc

Re: Clear tail inserts

Originally posted by mass_maxx
I just bought the replacement lense sheet to do my tails but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying pre cut pieces for clearing the tails out. I figure that I will cut as many as I can out of the sheet. I would sell them for $10 a pair shipped. I am gonna cut some with the red side reflector and some the whole piece. Let me know if anyone is interested and I will get cutting. I dont want to make any deals until I get them cut and can post pics for you guys. Just let me know if there is interest first.
$10 a pair???
Old 05-22-2002, 08:33 AM
Sold

Re: Clear tail inserts

hey bro, if you are willing to do all the pain in the @ss work,
I would be willing to take a set off you. 10 dollars per
pair seems very reasonable. I tried to do this mod myself,
but gave up after I cracked one of my taillight covers and
couldnot make the new cut lens fit. Anyway, if you are
cutting them, I would want the ones that leave the red side
reflector in the orginal space.
Looking forward to some pictures.
Please p.m. me or e-mail me with final cost/pictures etc.
take care.
jsmax
Old 05-22-2002, 08:46 AM

I am planning on doing them this weekend so as long as I dont have to do anything with my girl that I forgot about I will put some pics up by Monday or so.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd be interested too - I already presented this idea earlier with the hopes that someone who does this commercially (Greg, BigHam, Sprint) would cut us some "professional" ones...

Take your time and make two "perfect" patterns, one w/ the reflector and one without, then just continue making them from the pattern... Lots of profit to be made once you perfect it since the material is so cheap...

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:38 AM

as long as I dont have to do anything with my girl that I forgot about
Happens to me all the time. Since you are in MA you could make a few and bring them to the next meet. Don't know when one will be. I'd be interested.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:52 AM

I'll be interested for $10 or $15. I agree with BigD480, you can definitely make some money on this site or even on ebay. Thought it's a DIY project, it'll look hell a lot better than Altezza's.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:07 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by bigd480
I'd be interested too - I already presented this idea earlier with the hopes that someone who does this commercially (Greg, BigHam, Sprint) would cut us some "professional" ones...

Take your time and make two "perfect" patterns, one w/ the reflector and one without, then just continue making them from the pattern... Lots of profit to be made once you perfect it since the material is so cheap...

Good luck!
Not to knock business for ya or anything but ...

Guys, these are not that hard to cut. Go get a plastic cutting tool at Home Depot for $3. Take the amber light out and the red reflector. Glue them together like they were when they were still in your taillight. Trace them onto flourescent light cover with a ball point pen on the smooth side of the light cover. Then take your plastic cutting tool and score the lines over and over again. Then just snap the piece out and you're done. Cutting the piece is the easiest part, removing the lens is the part that sucks. If you mess up the cut, you try again, if you mess up your lens, you pay some $$$$ for new tails.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:14 AM

I've been doing this in my area for about 10-20 and people do buy them. I sold them to a few of my friends in AZ and TX. Not bad money the only thing about cutting these sheets is that it needs to be near perfect or peeps might not like it. and you need lots of time and patients. Don't rush.....

Chris
Old 05-22-2002, 03:12 PM
syc

Originally posted by Big_Ham

Not to knock business for ya or anything but ...

Guys, these are not that hard to cut. Go get a plastic cutting tool at Home Depot for $3. Take the amber light out and the red reflector. Glue them together like they were when they were still in your taillight. Trace them onto flourescent light cover with a ball point pen on the smooth side of the light cover. Then take your plastic cutting tool and score the lines over and over again. Then just snap the piece out and you're done. Cutting the piece is the easiest part, removing the lens is the part that sucks. If you mess up the cut, you try again, if you mess up your lens, you pay some $$$$ for new tails.
I totally agree with you. removing the tail-lilght and removing the lens needs attention the most. making the lense is piece of cake. I personally think removing the tail-light is the pain cuz it takes some strenght and it's so dirty. If you can get through the the process of removing stuff, making the lense seems so easy.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:20 PM

when you take the amber tail light piece out is it still curved or does it straighten out? the main reason I've been putting this off is that I want a piece that will fit perfectly... If it isn't cut right can you tell if you look hard enough?
Old 05-22-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by bigd480
when you take the amber tail light piece out is it still curved or does it straighten out? the main reason I've been putting this off is that I want a piece that will fit perfectly... If it isn't cut right can you tell if you look hard enough?
curved and recessed
Old 05-22-2002, 04:16 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by webboy

curved and recessed
The piece you make does NOT recess. The piece you make ends up pressure fitting into the lens and not the housing portion of the lens. If you want to leave the red sidemarker, then good luck. It has to recess and you wlil have to find a way to secure it to the red piece. Pressure fitting into that channel in the housing isn't easy either.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Maximaniac

The piece you make does NOT recess. The piece you make ends up pressure fitting into the lens and not the housing portion of the lens. If you want to leave the red sidemarker, then good luck. It has to recess and you wlil have to find a way to secure it to the red piece. Pressure fitting into that channel in the housing isn't easy either.

What about 95-96 tailights? How do I clear mine out?
Old 05-22-2002, 05:12 PM
syc

Originally posted by cmac95gxe

What about 95-96 tailights? How do I clear mine out?
no, you can't. can only buy a pair of clear tail. search a guy name daivd L. or something
Old 05-22-2002, 05:29 PM
Maximaniac

Thanks! I will!
Old 05-22-2002, 07:41 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

so you are guaranteeing a perfect fit? What if they crack while we're putting them in?
Old 05-22-2002, 08:52 PM

hey if you can make a perfect cut piece ill take a pair for 10 bux shipped.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by NickStam
so you are guaranteeing a perfect fit? What if they crack while we're putting them in?
Nick I know your the champ at doing the tails I have seen the ones you have done but I am not trying to open a Walmart here. I am just offering some service to fellow *.org members. If they crack I will ship another pair for free. I am not trying to become rich from this by anymeans. If I can accomplish something that is gonna bring people closer to getting rid of the ugly yellow lenses for 10 bucks then I dont see the problem.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:24 AM

Didnt say anything about new piece being recessed. But its very easy to make the new piece and leave the red sidemarker. At least it is on a 98. Im pretty sure i still have the template somewhere if ya need it. I cut mine with a dremel and poped them in against the lens. It snapped into place and was hard to get back out. But i did decide to hit it with a little hot glue.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:00 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I have cut out about 10 pieces that are PERFECT.

You have to use the right tools and it will be fine I agree with Big Ham....

BTW, since we're on this topic....
I can do your tails for you for 50$ if you send them to me and I will ship them back to you finished
Old 05-23-2002, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
BTW, since we're on this topic....
I can do your tails for you for 50$ if you send them to me and I will ship them back to you finished
is there anyone in dallas that would do this project for me, so that i don't have to spend whatever it is to go buy a set i'll pay of course...
Old 05-23-2002, 08:55 AM

I am interested.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:44 AM

Well it looks like I am gonna be very busy this weekend. We will see where I am with them on Monday. Hope everything goes well and I dont start breaking things.