4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FSTB, improvement or BS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 07:15 AM

FSTB, improvement or BS?

Read plenty of posts here the last few days on the subject, and I just don't get all the hype. How can a $75 tube of aluminum be as great an improvement in handling as some are saying? I'm sure there's some amount of flex in the towers during hard cornering, but that much to make a difference? Aren't other structural items (firewall) on the vehical already providing enough support between the towers? I'd like to hear from both sides...
Old 05-22-2002, 07:34 AM

Re: FSTB, improvement or BS?

Originally posted by ds03
Read plenty of posts here the last few days on the subject, and I just don't get all the hype. How can a $75 tube of aluminum be as great an improvement in handling as some are saying? I'm sure there's some amount of flex in the towers during hard cornering, but that much to make a difference? Aren't other structural items (firewall) on the vehical already providing enough support between the towers? I'd like to hear from both sides...
In my experience, if your car is lowered adn you have wide, sticky tires, the difference will be minimal...almost not worth it if it didn't look cool. The only thing I notice is when I accelerate really hard on a tight on-ramp and the car doesn't wobble and search for grip as much as it did without it. But for a stock-er, it might be different. That's just what I feel...
Old 05-22-2002, 07:42 AM

Re: FSTB, improvement or BS?

I thought as you did until i caved and bought a FSTB. I can truely say its not a great improvement in handling. BUT it does aid in controlling body roll in a big way. The improvements in handling are only seen in cornering but the car will corner as if its on rails. Couple this mod with a RSB (rear sway bar) and you have a new car all over again. Nothing short of amazing...
Old 05-22-2002, 07:42 AM
jmax

I put on the new courtesy FSTB a month or two ago. And can honestly say it is the best $69 I have spent so far. I wasn't expecting to feel a difference, but did. Immediately. And it seems that if you have the car lowered, wide wheels/tires, etc that the benefit would be more significant. As you would be more inclined to push the car in situations you otherwise may not.

Old 05-22-2002, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by jmax
I put on the new courtesy FSTB a month or two ago. And can honestly say it is the best $69 I have spent so far. I wasn't expecting to feel a difference, but did. Immediately. And it seems that if you have the car lowered, wide wheels/tires, etc that the benefit would be more significant. As you would be more inclined to push the car in situations you otherwise may not.
Did you go with the RSTB as well, or an RSB?
Old 05-22-2002, 08:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not BS or else everyone on the board wouldn't have one.

Hmmmm ... bad example ... lots of people have Altezzas and think they look good.

But seriously ... it is beneficial whether you are lowered or not. It is just less noticable if you are lowered.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Very sound, Mike

I have a 5th gen but one of the 1st things i noticed (Aside from better steering response) was the minimized torque steer. The FSTB really does help.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:09 AM

I put on one of those cheap FSB's found on Ebay for $20 and it really makes a big difference in mid and high speed cornering. Before - when pushed really hard into a corner sharp corner at 40-50ish MPH, I would end up with huge amounts of understeer all the way. Now - there is a bit of understeer right at the turn-in , but the car is much better balanced mid-corner and towards the exit and the confidence it gives is amazing. On a downhill cloverleaf I take a couple of times a week, after the FSB was installed - the Maxima is a lot more responsive to mid-corner throttle changes. When it starts pushing, getting off the gas has a better effect on the car. BTW/ I have a GXE with stock (steel) wheels running Michelin MXV4's - maybe this is why I feel such a big improvement.

My advise is get it. You won't regret it.

Also a question to others that have instaleld FSB's. Did anyone notice a slight increase in front suspension noise when going over bumps and such?
Old 05-22-2002, 08:32 AM
jmax

Did you go with the RSTB as well, or an RSB?
No. I am trying to hold off until I have enough money for the full suspension. I have 79,000 miles and my stock SE suspension has pretty much turned to mush. Constant squeeks in the rear. And the trunk sits at least an inch lower than the front with all the stereo equipment holding it down. I havn't noticed any increase in front suspension noise. But it's hard to tell with the Catman SS Y-pipe, RT cat, Greddy cat-back, all coupled with the stereo that's turned up enough that I can't hear the exhaust.

Old 05-22-2002, 09:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My car had the stock SE setup with FSTB and RSB for the 1st 100K miles. Those 2 things took my car to another level. Then I upgraded to H&Rs and Toks. The suspension got better for driving, a bit worse for comfort. And it also got better looking with the drop. I could have replaced the stock setup with stock again if only the ride height was not so high.

DW