4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wheel balance/alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 04:00 AM

I had new wheels and tires installed on friday. 17x8 with 235/45 pirelli p7000ss.
I notice that at about 60 mph the steering wheel starts to shudder a bit, getting a little worse closer to 70 and staying there at any speed over. It's pretty minor but noticeable.
Could it be that the wheels weren't balanced properly?
I haven't had an alignment yet, but the stock tires didn't do this.
Or is it just the lower profile, fatter tires "feeling" the road more?
Thanks..
Josh
Old 09-04-2000, 07:40 AM

Its the wheel balancing. Take it back and have them do it over.
Old 09-04-2000, 07:53 AM
MaxRX7

Defintely needs reblancing. They intentionly balanced it only until 60mph (so you don't speed over the limit). They must have known you have a lead foot. j/k.

There is no need for alignment, since it didn't happen before and now it does all of the sudden, plus you don't mention that the car is pulling to either side.17x8 with

I have the same 235/45 Pirelli p7000ss, they are greaattttt!
Excellent grip.

Old 09-04-2000, 09:41 AM

You might want to take it to another shop, if they can't balance wheels they have some issues When I worked at a wheel manufacturing company, I had to put some wheels on a car for QT testing, and I managed to figure out how to mount and balance a tire with no instructions and no one helping me... A monkey could do it, sounds like this shop is a little incompetant...
Old 09-04-2000, 07:29 PM
kest

Originally posted by deathwish

You might want to take it to another shop, if they can't balance wheels they have some issues When I worked at a wheel manufacturing company, I had to put some wheels on a car for QT testing, and I managed to figure out how to mount and balance a tire with no instructions and no one helping me... A monkey could do it, sounds like this shop is a little incompetant...

Try taking your new wheels to a speed shop. They specialize in aftermarket wheels and everything to do with them. My Local speed shop mounted my 18 inch rims when most nomral shops didn't want to try for fear of scratching my wheels. The speed shops are a big help.

Old 09-04-2000, 07:35 PM

I have the same problem with my 16" Chrome Albas and it still shutters after 3 wheel balancing jobs (Different shops each time) Yet it still does it. Are you guys sure they car doesn't need alignment, it is suppose to be done every 15k miles. They can also be the tires but your were new so...hmmm. I've heard everything from me needing new brakes to needing new rims again when i posted this question on the Yahoo BBS. ok? Opinions?
Old 09-04-2000, 08:41 PM
MAC

balance em' again!

The original shop should do it again. Have them put a more experienced guy on it. balanceing a wheel is really an art.

No Chad, monkeys can't do it!!

Some times the tires, or wheels, come from the factory already out of round. Ask em about that too.

lastly, take it to a place that does high speed on car balancing.

Old 09-04-2000, 08:48 PM

Every wheel comes from the factory out of round (at least low pressure die cast, which is like 90% of them, they are egg shaped).

Ok, maybe a monkey couldn't do it, but a team of trained monkey's could! No really, maybe they have an old machine... Our machine, you just put the wheel on it and hit a button. It spins for a minute, then rotates it to where the spot you should put the weight on is at the top, and then the readout tells you what weight to use. All you gotta do is hammer the right weight on, and that's it. I dunno, but if your shop has a machine that makes it an art, I think they should go get a new machine
Old 09-04-2000, 11:41 PM

Recap of reply on SoCal site:

I don't know if you saw my reply on the SoCal site so here it is again:

I would guess that most likely your alignment and balance are fine, but that the hubcentric rings for your rims aren't right. When I got my wheels, I had the same problem you described. I went back to the place I got my wheels and they rebalanced them, but not much of a change. I later bought a new set of hubcentric rings and the problem was solved.

John
Old 09-05-2000, 06:12 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Hub or Lug??

Aren't Maximas Lug Centric? Why would you need hubcentric igs? Now I'm confused.

Originally posted by John C.

I would guess that most likely your alignment and balance are fine, but that the hubcentric rings for your rims aren't right. When I got my wheels, I had the same problem you described. I went back to the place I got my wheels and they rebalanced them, but not much of a change. I later bought a new set of hubcentric rings and the problem was solved.

John
Old 09-05-2000, 06:21 AM

Re: Recap of reply on SoCal site:

What are hubcentric rings?

Originally posted by John C.

John
Old 09-05-2000, 11:59 AM

Re: Hub or Lug??

Hubcentric rings are usually plastic rings that mount on your hub and go in between the rim and the hub. Whether the Maxima is hubcentric or lugcentric, I do not know. However, I don't think most wheel manufacturers are going to make rims that are 5 x 114.3 and then make a different center bore for each individual manufacturer. I know for a fact that Mitsubishi, Toyota and Nissan use wheels that are 5 x 144.3 bolt pattern, but have a different center bore.

Basically, if your rim manufacturer does not custom make rims for each different center bore, you will need these little plastic rings that go on between the rim and the hub. If you do not have these hubcentric rings, then that would most likely explain the vibration that you describe.

When I first bought my Gewalt Type S 18x8 wheels, they only gave me 2 hubcentric rings for the front. I got my wheels re-balanced but it did not make any difference. I bought new hubcentric rings just as a hope that the vibration would go away and it solved the vibration problem.