4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AGX vs KONI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 09:54 AM

Since Konis are hard to come by now, does anyone have any comments about the quality/performace of AGX struts/shocks.

I am going to setup on some EIBACHs soon.

Still trying to decide on the shocks.

I have seen much conversation about KONI vs TOKICO vs COILOVERS...
I cant afford Coil overs!
I am not comfortable with Tokicos after all your comments.
Old 12-01-2000, 10:40 AM
Keven97SE

Well, since AGXs are not available and Konis are, I'd have to say go with the Konis

Seriously, don't hold out for AGXs. I've heard so much crap from every aftermarket vendor that "We're gonna have this available for the Maxima in 6 months" that I don't believe anything anymore. If you need struts now or in the near future, Konis are the way to go. They really do perform excellent, and I can hardly see there being a whole lot of benefit with AGXs. More adjustability, but trust me, you'll find a setting that you like for all-aroung driving, and you won't be adjusting all the time. AGXs will most likely be a tad cheaper than Konis, but not a whole lot cheaper.

FYI I have H&Rs and Konis and looove the setup. Comfortable but firm. Not harsh at all but handle quite well. Eibachs are of course a step up performance-wise but all things I've heard is that they are noticeably stiffer. My setup is perfectly comfortable still. Very BMW-like.

Old 12-01-2000, 11:09 AM

Keven97SE one question...what did you adjust you front and rear Koni's to?? I have Eibachs and the front set to 2 half turns and the rear to 3 half turns the rear seems very stiff and the front seems stiff but not really all that bad...

I really love the performance from this setup but sitting in the back over railroad tracks did not make my brother or his wife to happy... any ideas?
Old 12-01-2000, 11:15 AM
i SeE what you did therE

yes please give an answer

i have eibach's in the mail and i think i have decided on koni's....anyone know a site that has install instructions for the koni's?

jeff
Old 12-01-2000, 11:34 AM

goto>>>>

http://www.maximadriver.com

then click how2
Old 12-01-2000, 11:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Keven97SE
"We're gonna have this available for the Maxima in 6 months" that I don't believe anything anymore.
Yea they must have attended the Jim Wolf Tech. school of BS!!! LMFAO

Hey Kev! What about the fuel injector size, is it really 259cc? Are you positive? Do you know what the normal WOT 3500rpm+ duty cycle is?
Old 12-01-2000, 01:09 PM

AGX quality as good as Koni?

- Hey guys, is there anything blaringly different between the Koni's and the AGX's? I know about the adjustability, but is quality the same? What about warranty? Will the AGX's last as long as the Koni's?
Old 12-01-2000, 01:28 PM
Keven97SE

I have my fronts set to 3 half turns (3 out of 5 max) and the rears set to 2.5 half turns. I think that's correct.

I guess my rear setting is close to yours (2.5 instead of 3) but I don't find them to be stiff at all. But everybody has their own opinion on stuff like that. The fronts definitely got harsh up around 3.5/4 half turns. I set the rears once and never re-adjusted, so can't comment on where I felt things got harsh.

Originally posted by DaEnigma
Keven97SE one question...what did you adjust you front and rear Koni's to?? I have Eibachs and the front set to 2 half turns and the rear to 3 half turns the rear seems very stiff and the front seems stiff but not really all that bad...

I really love the performance from this setup but sitting in the back over railroad tracks did not make my brother or his wife to happy... any ideas?

Old 12-01-2000, 01:31 PM
Keven97SE

I can't confirm that we have 259's, but all places I've asked keep saying that they're the same as the ones on N/A 300Z's. I have no idea what duty cycle we're running at. I've "heard" that our injectors/fuel pressure setup is good for 275 HP+, but my calc's show that we're about maxxed at 245ish HP (~200 @wheels). Upping the fuel pressure fixes that, of course. But no, I really don't have any *good* info on fuel injector size or duty cycle. All speculation.

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
"We're gonna have this available for the Maxima in 6 months" that I don't believe anything anymore.
Yea they must have attended the Jim Wolf Tech. school of BS!!! LMFAO

Hey Kev! What about the fuel injector size, is it really 259cc? Are you positive? Do you know what the normal WOT 3500rpm+ duty cycle is?

Old 12-01-2000, 02:11 PM
The missing moderator

One thing I can see as being an advantage to AGX is the external adjustability... with the Koni's, atleast the rear, you'd have to take them off to adjust.

Regardig price, I suspect they will be less than $100 for the fronts each.

-Shing

Well, since AGXs are not available and Konis are, I'd have to say go with the Konis

Seriously, don't hold out for AGXs. I've heard so much crap from every aftermarket vendor that "We're gonna have this available for the Maxima in 6 months" that I don't believe anything anymore. If you need struts now or in the near future, Konis are the way to go. They really do perform excellent, and I can hardly see there being a whole lot of benefit with AGXs. More adjustability, but trust me, you'll find a setting that you like for all-aroung driving, and you won't be adjusting all the time. AGXs will most likely be a tad cheaper than Konis, but not a whole lot cheaper.

FYI I have H&Rs and Konis and looove the setup. Comfortable but firm. Not harsh at all but handle quite well. Eibachs are of course a step up performance-wise but all things I've heard is that they are noticeably stiffer. My setup is perfectly comfortable still. Very BMW-like.
Old 12-01-2000, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by 96SE_dsm
Since Konis are hard to come by now, does anyone have any comments about the quality/performace of AGX struts/shocks.

I am going to setup on some EIBACHs soon.

Still trying to decide on the shocks.

I have seen much conversation about KONI vs TOKICO vs COILOVERS...
I cant afford Coil overs!
I am not comfortable with Tokicos after all your comments.
I'm getting Eibachs (because Sprints aren't available yet)in the next week, and I'm gonna complement them with Koni struts (after I blow a wad of cash on ski trips )
Old 12-01-2000, 06:23 PM
vapors smx

We run the koni adjustable with millen progressive springs. They are simple to install with little modification. We have ours adjusted to almost the maximum setting. I would say not to hold out on the hopes of AGX thought they may be great for the max. It would be like me holding out for a RWD version of the max. Probably wont happen.

Old 12-01-2000, 06:47 PM

I'd agree. I suggest the AGX because they'd be easier to install (if they existed), they'd be easier to adjust (if they existed), and they'd be cheaper (if they existed). But since they don't exist outside of coilovers, well...