4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help 95 max and rough idle in drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 03:48 PM

help 95 max and rough idle in drive

Ok guys I need your help. I have a 95 maxima with 123K miles on it. I've done all the necessary maintenance on the car and have kept it in good shape. A few weeks ago I noticed that when I came to a stoplight the car would get real rough like it was going to stall. If I put it in park then the idle would rise and the car would be somewhat okay. So, I changed the plugs, fuel filter, oil, air filter, and the problem is still there, but it's getting worse. No check engine light has come on, but I still checked the ecu for codes, but nothing came up. The car is really hard to start now. I have to really pump the gas to this thing going. I also cleaned the throttle body, but that didn't help at all. Although it was very dirty, but the problem was still there. Any ideas because I'm getting desperate. I can barely drive the car anymore. I dread bringing it to the dealership because they'll charge me a fortune. any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-27-2002, 07:09 AM

Re: help 95 max and rough idle in drive

Originally posted by camaro1698
Ok guys I need your help. I have a 95 maxima with 123K miles on it. I've done all the necessary maintenance on the car and have kept it in good shape. A few weeks ago I noticed that when I came to a stoplight the car would get real rough like it was going to stall. If I put it in park then the idle would rise and the car would be somewhat okay. So, I changed the plugs, fuel filter, oil, air filter, and the problem is still there, but it's getting worse. No check engine light has come on, but I still checked the ecu for codes, but nothing came up. The car is really hard to start now. I have to really pump the gas to this thing going. I also cleaned the throttle body, but that didn't help at all. Although it was very dirty, but the problem was still there. Any ideas because I'm getting desperate. I can barely drive the car anymore. I dread bringing it to the dealership because they'll charge me a fortune. any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

I have the same problem...I'm going through posts now -- you're the third or fourth person to mention this just on the "fresh" posts...

ARGH!!! I don't want to go to a dealer either!!!
I've done all that you have, but next is the Throttle Position Sensor and Mass Air-Flow Sensor (to check...replacement is $$$)

FLO_BOY
Old 05-27-2002, 07:28 AM

The problems you are experiencing are common problems that I had encountered in the past with my car. As far as the idling problem, it could be the IACV (idle air control valve). This sensor adjusts the air and idle (the black adjustment screw). When this starts to go bad, you experience erratic idle problems, such as increased RPM's in different gears. My CEL did not come on when mine went bad, but when I replaced it with a new one, the problem went away. Now, as far as the starting problems, it could be dirty O2 sensors. I had the same problems with my car not starting. I HAD to give it gas to start. Of course, this was definitely a NO-NO, because before I could actually diagnose the problem, I let the problem go to far and eventually ruined the starter. All in all, I had to replace the starter AND a front O2 sensor. After all the repairs, my car was in its "glory" again. I hope this information helps you out any. Good Luck!
Old 05-27-2002, 09:32 PM

where is the iacv and can it just be cleaned? I've priced it out and its around $200. Where did you get yours? any info is appreciated!!
Old 05-27-2002, 10:09 PM

Clean the throttle body first and then see if it gets any better. Do a search on how to do this.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by camaro1698
where is the iacv and can it just be cleaned? I've priced it out and its around $200. Where did you get yours? any info is appreciated!!
Sorry, I'm not sure on how to go about cleaning it, but I doubt if its going to help any. As far as the sensor itself, mine was replaced by Nissan under warranty. I wanted to replace it myself, but I could only get it by THEM replacing it. The IACV sensor is located near the firewall (driver's side) right behind the air filter assembly. Its mounted on the upper intake manifold. You should see a black adjustment screw on the top. Here you can adjust the idle.