4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Help With Brake Pads!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 03:53 PM
apocnmbr1

Need Help With Brake Pads!!!

Its time for me to change my front pads, but im a little sceptical about which brand to go with. I know for sure im not getting rabestos, and im leaning towards the AXIS semi-metallic pads. Has anyone used these before?? Im running them on stock rotors, so any information as to which ones you guys would recommend would be great. Thanks

Old 05-25-2002, 04:01 PM

Re: Need Help With Brake Pads!!!

Originally posted by apocnmbr1
Its time for me to change my front pads, but im a little sceptical about which brand to go with. I know for sure im not getting rabestos, and im leaning towards the AXIS semi-metallic pads. Has anyone used these before?? Im running them on stock rotors, so any information as to which ones you guys would recommend would be great. Thanks
Aberrr.
Old 05-26-2002, 04:53 AM

why not ray's?

i recently had my pads changed and did alot of research before buying. the reason is that my old cheap aftermarket bendix sucked...nevertheless, iwent with raybestos quietstop--amazing performance and not one squeal--no dust either after 4 weeks...may want to give them a try.

Old 05-28-2002, 01:08 AM
apocnmbr1

i have had bad experiences with rebestos.....still leaning towards axis...but i hear they have a problem braking when cold....TRUE?

Old 05-28-2002, 05:12 AM

they= raybestos or they= axxis?

I have had the rays for about a month now and I don't see a problem at all with them. Cold/Hot no problems thus far. They have very good stopping power and are don't dust too much.
But as far as the braking problem--were there anything in specific? so far, I have checked the threads for people who have had the Raybesto Quiet stop (make sure they are quiet stops)--and people have liked them very much.

i have had bad experiences with rebestos.....still leaning towards axis...but i hear they have a problem braking when cold....TRUE?
Old 05-28-2002, 06:08 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's not a problem, it's how they work. Axis Metal Masters take a few stops to warm up before they grab really good. You can feel this as your car warms up. Actually the OEM pads do this a bit as well but not as pronounced at the Metal Masters.

The Metal Masters will give you enhanced braking under loads and will not fade as quickly as OEM.

What pad you chose depends on your driving habbits. Do you hit the track or like to drive fast? Are you concerned with dust? Do you like the way your car stops now?

If you hit the track or drive hard, get the Metal Masters.

If you want clean rims all the time and good performance, get the Quiet stops.

If you like the way your car stops now and want to renew it, go with OEM pads. They are excellent quality and provide ample braking power under normal driving habits.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:09 PM

Did you mean "If you DON'T want clean rims all the time... get the Quiet Sops."? Because humaras said it doesn't dust...

Just curious.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Old 05-28-2002, 08:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I recently have Raybestos Quiet Stop brake pads installed too, just the front. Anyway, so far so good, but I still noticed a bit of noise. It's only been a week.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:46 PM

I am running the Quiet Stops all around and am completely happy with them...much better than stock performance and cleanliness. Worth the investment.
Old 05-29-2002, 04:47 AM

I think both of us mean the same thing --that the QS pads will give you very little dust and therefore keep your wheel clean.

I have noticed that very rarely--I mean a few times since I had the pads put in did I notice any noise. I am thinking that it may be coming from the back pads since those are cheap bendix aftermarket pads. I left those in since they serve the purpose...

Originally posted by SunMax
Did you mean "If you DON'T want clean rims all the time... get the Quiet Sops."? Because humaras said it doesn't dust...

Just curious.

Old 05-29-2002, 02:55 PM
syc

Re: Need Help With Brake Pads!!!

do you drive hard? if not, what's better than the OEM pad. the warrenty and performance are very good. the quality and fitment issue are perfect. the price? just little bit more than normal aftermarket pad but same as those "performance" pad.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:06 PM

are u guys talkin bout the regular bendix aftermarkets? or the bendix IQ? bcuz ive had pretty good experience with the Bendix IQ, theyre not bad pads at all, the IQ stands for import quiet by the way
Old 05-29-2002, 04:12 PM

i believe they are simply the regular Bendix--not too expensive if the guy tells me they are like $30 for the back (just for the pads)...that was a few years back. I didn't want them but my dad did...so whatever...they are in the rear only...but the front has the nice quiet stops.

Originally posted by NyC97Max
are u guys talkin bout the regular bendix aftermarkets? or the bendix IQ? bcuz ive had pretty good experience with the Bendix IQ, theyre not bad pads at all, the IQ stands for import quiet by the way
Old 05-29-2002, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by SunMax

Just curious.
It took me a minute to understand this post... I think njmaxseltd said it right the first time.

"If you want clean rims all the time..." means they stay clean.

I think you read "If you want TO clean rims all the time...", which means the opposite. Just a grammar thing...
Old 05-29-2002, 11:03 PM

Oh... my bad. Thanks for clearing it up.

Originally posted by donut

It took me a minute to understand this post... I think njmaxseltd said it right the first time.

"If you want clean rims all the time..." means they stay clean.

I think you read "If you want TO clean rims all the time...", which means the opposite. Just a grammar thing...
Old 06-01-2002, 04:30 PM
apocnmbr1

And whats with PERFORMANCE FRICTION????? Anyone used these before??? i heards they were good...

Old 06-03-2002, 09:26 PM

And whats with PERFORMANCE FRICTION????? Anyone used these before??? i heards they were good...

I've used them on my 98 they're pretty good and I've also used them on Honda's Mitsubishi's, Oldsmobile, volkswagen, Ford's, Toyota's, Chevy Truck and not one squeal from any car, additionally have already gone to a second set on a few of these cars.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:02 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

What pad you chose depends on your driving habbits. Do you hit the track or like to drive fast? Are you concerned with dust? Do you like the way your car stops now?

If you hit the track or drive hard, get the Metal Masters.

If you like the way your car stops now and want to renew it, go with OEM pads. They are excellent quality and provide ample braking power under normal driving habits.
My driving varies, but I drive normal the majority of the time w/ occasional hard braking (trying to make a yellow light but immediately turns red, causing me to brake hard) & stop/go driving. My pads are about to call it quits and I'm looking for something that matches my driving style w/ an improvement in stopping power & can withstand occasional hard braking, what do you recommend?
Old 06-04-2002, 05:46 AM

All I have to say is Performance Friction Carbon/Metalic Pads. These pads blow Metal Masters out of the water.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:15 AM

I've had both Axxis Metal-Lux (semi-metalic) and Axxis Metal Masters (full metalic). The Metal Masters need a few stops to really grip, but the Metal-Lux grip right away.

But when you push down, the Metal Masters have a firmer stopping power than the Metal-Lux. Both are good pads. They do make a decent amount of dust, but lots of pads do. Either way, you probably be happy.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:04 AM

pads

seems like all aftermarket pads have problem with dust/noise but stop better. However, the stock OEM pads have less dust/noise but the stopping power is limited.

anyone have any problems with the Axxis Ultimate pads??
Old 06-05-2002, 11:24 AM

I have Raybestos QS'es and have found that while they never squeal, their stopping power is not nearly as good as the OEM pads, and they dust like a ****!

Did you guys use the shims from your OEM pads when putting on your QS'es or did you just use the metal plate on the back of the pad as the shim?

IanS
Old 06-05-2002, 11:26 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wow, a break pad thread without Porterfields mentioned.

I put Porterfields all around on my 97 and they were great. They dust a lot and aren't cheap, but they performed even better than I had hoped.

I'll be putting a set on my 99 this summer.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:36 AM

I had the guy put back to original shims...I actually took them off the OEM pads awhile back and I told him to use those when he installed the QuietStops.HOnestyly, from my month or so of having the QS's they seem very good and I would say their braking power is just as good as the OEM's. One thing though is that the QS's don't have as much dust...at all...hmmm...must be my lucky driving into the puddles.
btw, do you guys have any brake dusts in your rear wheels? It seems like my rear wheels are so clean with no brake dust at all...

Originally posted by iansw
I have Raybestos QS'es and have found that while they never squeal, their stopping power is not nearly as good as the OEM pads, and they dust like a ****!

Did you guys use the shims from your OEM pads when putting on your QS'es or did you just use the metal plate on the back of the pad as the shim?

IanS
Old 06-05-2002, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by humaras
I had the guy put back to original shims...I actually took them off the OEM pads awhile back and I told him to use those when he installed the QuietStops.HOnestyly, from my month or so of having the QS's they seem very good and I would say their braking power is just as good as the OEM's. One thing though is that the QS's don't have as much dust...at all...hmmm...must be my lucky driving into the puddles.
btw, do you guys have any brake dusts in your rear wheels? It seems like my rear wheels are so clean with no brake dust at all...

Maybe it's just my TSW Trophys and the fact that there's alot of space for the dust to get out of (large spaces between the "spokes"), but my QietStops don't seem to dust much, but once the get wet even in a small rainshower, the dust gets wet and drips onto my rims, making my silver rims nearly black.

IanS
Old 06-05-2002, 11:22 PM
apocnmbr1

Performance Friction Carbon/Metalic Pads????? Anyone else use these??? and how much were they???

Old 06-06-2002, 05:45 AM

funny you said that about the rainstorm because we had some rain here yesterday and I noticed a good amount of black color water running from the rims of the car--definetely from the residual brake dust in the rims from the Qs's.
heheh
Originally posted by iansw

Maybe it's just my TSW Trophys and the fact that there's alot of space for the dust to get out of (large spaces between the "spokes"), but my QietStops don't seem to dust much, but once the get wet even in a small rainshower, the dust gets wet and drips onto my rims, making my silver rims nearly black.

IanS
Old 06-06-2002, 03:28 PM
apocnmbr1

the problem here is i keep geting mixed opinions about all the different brands.....some squeek, some dont, and from all that i have read, i still have not seen a brand that comes in CONSISTENTLY with a "LOW DUST, IMPROVED PERFORMANCE AND LOW SQUEEKING". First i thought of going with QS.....after all i heard no way. Then i thought about going with AXXIS...but me having 18's wouldnt help cause of all the brake dust....SO I GUESS BACK TO OEM'S FOR ME IT IS

Old 06-06-2002, 04:15 PM

the problem here is i keep geting mixed opinions about all the different brands.....some squeek, some dont, and from all that i have read, i still have not seen a brand that comes in CONSISTENTLY with a "LOW DUST, IMPROVED PERFORMANCE AND LOW SQUEEKING". First i thought of going with QS.....after all i heard no way. Then i thought about going with AXXIS...but me having 18's wouldnt help cause of all the brake dust....SO I GUESS BACK TO OEM'S FOR ME IT IS
There are few topics where a consensus opinion can be arrived at.
If this helps you, I ordered regular OEM pads from Courtesy Nissan for the price of $87.00 for all four. The dealers in my area wanted well over $100.00. Don't forget to mention to Courtesy that you are a member of Maxima.org for this price.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:42 PM
apocnmbr1

The thing is, ive only heard good things about performace friction, but just not enough good things. Not too many people use this brand, so its kinda hard for me to make an opinion on that. I originally thought AXXIS, but too many people complained about the dust. I though about going with the QS, but i have had no luck with them in the past, and too many people on the org complain about them. So not i guess my choice is between OEM's and performace friction..I JUST WANT A DAMN PAD THAT DOEST **** ON MY RIMS, stops a little better, and doesnt DRIVE ME CRAZY WITH SQUEEKING!!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2002, 12:44 PM

The thing is, ive only heard good things about performace friction, but just not enough good things. Not too many people use this brand, so its kinda hard for me to make an opinion on that. I originally thought AXXIS, but too many people complained about the dust. I though about going with the QS, but i have had no luck with them in the past, and too many people on the org complain about them. So not i guess my choice is between OEM's and performace friction..I JUST WANT A DAMN PAD THAT DOEST **** ON MY RIMS, stops a little better, and doesnt DRIVE ME CRAZY WITH SQUEEKING!!!!!!!!
Calm down...get OEM Pads and put some Brake Quiet goo on them.

IanS
Old 06-07-2002, 12:58 PM
apocnmbr1

I have oem pads now, and they squeek like a b1tch....i changed them around 6 months ago...and I have changed brakes many times on different cars, and i never had a prob. I used the blue stuff and still....SQUEEKING.. ...so i gotta go with a different pad.

Old 06-07-2002, 01:40 PM

To be honest, I'm pushing the Perf. Friction pads because you don't have to use the old rusty shims on the new pads. I think this causes most of the squealing problems. The performance friction pads come with the shims already pressed onto the pads (which is a plus). I do th e pretty heaving braking with these pads mated to cross drilled rotors and they haven't made a squeak yet.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:52 PM
apocnmbr1

what about brake dust??

Old 06-08-2002, 01:15 AM
apocnmbr1

???

Old 06-08-2002, 03:57 PM
apocnmbr1

how is performance friction on brake dust?

Old 06-09-2002, 06:27 PM
apocnmbr1

bump..

Old 06-10-2002, 01:38 AM

bump bump bump :P
Old 06-10-2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by deezo
To be honest, I'm pushing the Perf. Friction pads because you don't have to use the old rusty shims on the new pads. I think this causes most of the squealing problems. The performance friction pads come with the shims already pressed onto the pads (which is a plus). I do th e pretty heaving braking with these pads mated to cross drilled rotors and they haven't made a squeak yet.
You have cross-drilled rotors? It's kind of hard to tell.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by got rice?
bump bump bump :P
I've had Axxis Metal-lux and Metal Masters and the best price and service was from:

http://www.EatRiceZone.com

Quick Reply: Need Help With Brake Pads!!!