4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission gear indicator bulb

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 05:06 PM

Transmission gear indicator bulb

Can someone explain to me how to go about changing the bulb(s) to the transmission gear indicator console? I had taken the trim cover plate off, but where do I go from there?
Old 05-26-2002, 06:18 PM

Re: Transmission gear indicator bulb

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
Can someone explain to me how to go about changing the bulb(s) to the transmission gear indicator console? I had taken the trim cover plate off, but where do I go from there?
Thats a good question. I would like to know also.
Old 05-26-2002, 06:23 PM

im guessing your talking about the P R N D 2 1 ****....if not, well i just wasted 10 min of my life ....well

With the car parked on a flat surface, pull the handbrake up tight and shift to neutral.

Pry out the trim panel (I used a screwdriver) and set it aside; there is a snap at each of the corners closest to the rear of the car, and another one on each side near the middle; the side facing the front will just slide downward and out. Note that there is no need to remove the 12-volt power port, just let it hang there.

Remove the four screws that hold down the gear indicator panel (the front right one can be a little tricky because you have to work around the ash tray).

Shift to 1st, and carefully maneuver the front side of gear indicator panel out as far as you can get it.

You should see a small cable that leads up under the N, reach up under under the panel and twist outh the connector that attaches the cable.

The light bulb is inside this connector, pull it (it's in there tight) out and replace it with a blue (or your favorite alternate color) 194 bulb. You may want to turn on your corner lamps to make sure the new bulb works before you reattach it to the indicator panel.

Put everything back together and your done....

Notes:
- It would be a good idea to have a magnetic want handy to pick up the screws and snaps that will invariably fall down into the opening around the shifter.
- When maneuvering the gear indicator panel, take care not to inflict excessive bending forces, which may cause it to go back in crooked.
- While you have everything taken apart, you may want to take the opportunity to vacuum up all the nasty stuff that has collected under your shifter, and scrape off all the grime that builds up in the cracks.
- If your power port pops out of place, just shove it right back in there.
- Apparently, the bulbs gets kinda hot in there, as mine has already faded a little bit. You could pay a bit more for an LED bulb to prevent the fading.

CREDIT: goes to ProlepsisMaximus from Nissan X