4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

B&G spring Install pics and ride review

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002 | 05:16 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

B&G spring Install pics and ride review

I put the B&G springs on my AGX struts this Saturday. I've been driving around all day today with various settings on the AGX's. First thing I must say is these ride very sporty. You have to keep the AGX's pretty tight to stop the bounce but once you find that sweet spot, what a ride. Around town it's tight, but on the highway it's smooth and very snug to the road. The B&G/AGX combo soaks up bumps and does not transmit a lot of noise to the car while they do it. Thanks to some new gaskets I made to isolate the strut mount from the chassis of the car. Here's a few pics.

These were made out of 2mm headder or intake gasket material. We cut the gaskets with a good quality kitchen snip. They are 10X thicker then the Nissan "Paper" that was sitting on the strut mounts. Anybody doing their own suspension work should definately make and install these things. This mod worked, it made my car quieter on bumps and cracks.

I had 4 people in my car today and we drove on normal roads with some bumps, dips small holes cracks as well as going in and out of store driveways. No problems at all with bottoming out. The AGX's in the rear were at 6 with 4 guys in the car. I turned them down to 4 or 5 in the rear with no load. They control these springs very well. It's tight no doubt about that but the feeling I get is more twards BMW M3 feel, rather then "RICE" ride.

My suspension is definately more quiet on cracks and doesn't sound harsh being how low the car sits. This system does a great job of soaking up bumps. The gaskets I'm sure made the car quieter, the rear ones were so out of shape they didn't even fit over the shock assembly correctly. Now I have a nice barrier between the chassie and the suspension.

My overall opinion - The drop is awsome, the ride is very sporty and tight yet pretty smooth and quiet, it sort of feels like an M3 now.

If your looking for looks and performance, these springs rock!
Old 05-26-2002 | 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Glad to hear you're happy with the ride this time. It's worth it for the handling, isn't it?
-Cyrus
Old 05-26-2002 | 06:03 PM

Re: B&G spring Install pics and ride review

Props for doing your own custom gaskets, that was very smart. Car ooks good too. Ill try making some of my own as well where did you pick these gaskets up or part numbers?
Old 05-26-2002 | 06:06 PM

Re: Re: B&G spring Install pics and ride review

Originally posted by JAY25
Props for doing your own custom gaskets, that was very smart. Car looks good too. Ill try making some of my own as well where did you pick these gaskets up or part numbers?
Thanks, you can get a sheet of gasket paper at any auto parts store. The one I used was exaust manifold gasket material, 2mm thick. Cost was 9 bucks for 8-1/2 x 11 sheet which was enough to make all 4 gaskets.
Old 05-26-2002 | 06:08 PM
Ramius83

I do have a question to ask you. I also have the B&G Springs with the AGXs, but, with an empty trunk (no system) does your rear end sit lower than the front? Mine does and it is really starting to bother my now that it sits even lower in the rear with a box in the trunk......
Old 05-26-2002 | 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Ramius83
I do have a question to ask you. I also have the B&G Springs with the AGXs, but, with an empty trunk (no system) does your rear end sit lower than the front? Mine does and it is really starting to bother my now that it sits even lower in the rear with a box in the trunk......
The classic B&G sagging problem. Are you auto or 5spd? I thought it was more prone to 5spds since they weighed less up front.
-Cyrus
Old 05-26-2002 | 06:20 PM
Ramius83

Originally posted by Vyrus
The classic B&G sagging problem. Are you auto or 5spd? I thought it was more prone to 5spds since they weighed less up front.
-Cyrus
Auto......
Old 05-26-2002 | 06:49 PM

Auto......
If thats your problem Ramius Ill be in atlanta next month, you can fix it one of two ways, replace your springs/coilovers or cut one coil off the front and that I know how to do very well.
Old 05-26-2002 | 06:51 PM
Ramius83

Ok, thanks guy....BTW, would you mind giving my poor @$$ a ride in the SC Max? I can give you one in a 100 shot NO2 Max lol (mine)....
Old 05-26-2002 | 07:05 PM

I'm sitting at 2 fingers all the way around. Nice even drop. These springs were in use for 3 months prior to me getting them so I'm sure they are not going to settle any more.
Old 05-27-2002 | 08:02 PM

anyone knows a place that sells B&G springs??
Old 05-27-2002 | 09:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaximaPower
anyone knows a place that sells B&G springs??
shox.com
Old 05-27-2002 | 09:17 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Get a set of SFCS. If you think your car is riding good right now, just wait. The SFC make a loweredcar feel as if it was stock. It's truely amazing.

Dave
Old 05-28-2002 | 04:25 AM

Really smart idea! I copied your idea and made thicker gaskets as well with a gasket material i bought at pepboys then we installed my sprint/agx at Jason(thebigsadler)'s house, the ride is soooooo quiet and it handles INCREDIBLE and loox gorgeous! Pics coming soon.
Old 05-28-2002 | 06:33 AM

well, Tom and I will work on a new suspension sticky write-up soon...hopefully my wheel is being fixed right now.
Old 05-28-2002 | 10:36 AM

UPDATE

UPDATE: I just turned the AGX's down to 1 & 2 front and rear respectively, and the ride totally changes. Much nicer on the highway, smooth yet firm. No bounce so far. Around town it's descent as well. I think I'm going to like this setup for the summer!
Old 05-28-2002 | 01:00 PM

Good job Tom,

Pretty clever idea making your own gaskets. SO what made you go with the B&G's over the H&R ( my guess would be the look!)? Any bone-jarring on some of the worse roads aroudn here??

Kevin
Old 05-28-2002 | 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Kevin
Good job Tom,

Pretty clever idea making your own gaskets. SO what made you go with the B&G's over the H&R ( my guess would be the look!)? Any bone-jarring on some of the worse roads aroudn here??

Kevin
He got rid of the HR because he couldnt eliminate the noise 100%, isn't that right? But like he replied to one of my posts, his HR's could have been upside down.
Old 05-28-2002 | 01:27 PM

Originally posted by hokiemax

He got rid of the HR because he couldnt eliminate the noise 100%, isn't that right? But like he replied to one of my posts, his HR's could have been upside down.
I thought he bought hte H&R's again and wa going to put em back this past weekend. THe noise isue was from the first time I think.
Old 05-28-2002 | 02:25 PM

he THOUGHT he bought H&R's again but the person actually sent him B&G's
Old 05-28-2002 | 06:08 PM

Originally posted by MaximaRider
he THOUGHT he bought H&R's again but the person actually sent him B&G's
****!! That sux! At least he likes it.
Old 05-29-2002 | 05:46 AM

I had H&R's last year and yes, creak - crunch - groan, they would not shut up. So I took them out. When I took the H&R's out I installed the AGX's on stock springs. WOW what a ride you get! And amazing handling too. But the gap... So I started looked for H&R's again, used this time. Yes there was a mix up and what we thought were H&R springs turned out to be B&G's. The guy I got them from was very fair, it was an honest mistake and the B&G's were practically new so I installed them. A little lower then I really wanted to go, but the car looks amazing and it drives ok too.

So thats the story!

I'll wind up back on stock springs by the fall anyhow. It's like a game - up, then down, then back up, then down again. I can take my suspension apart in my sleep. My neighbors think I'm nuts, I think it's fun!
Old 05-29-2002 | 06:05 AM

Tom, that's why you need to come to CT and help me with mine! J/K I've already done it twice.
Old 05-29-2002 | 06:11 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I can take my suspension apart in my sleep. My neighbors think I'm nuts, I think it's fun!
Hmmm... How much to help with an install then? I was thinking of getting the same setup, and since I'm right outside of Philly, maybe we could meet up somewhere?

Where in NJ are you? How far from Philly area?
Old 05-29-2002 | 06:30 AM

Originally posted by Lime
Tom, that's why you need to come to CT and help me with mine! J/K I've already done it twice.
Anytime Erica, anytime
Old 05-29-2002 | 07:04 AM

I had H&R's last year and yes, creak - crunch - groan, they would not shut up. So I took them out. When I took the H&R's out I installed the AGX's on stock springs. WOW what a ride you get! And amazing handling too. But the gap... So I started looked for H&R's again, used this time. Yes there was a mix up and what we thought were H&R springs turned out to be B&G's. The guy I got them from was very fair, it was an honest mistake and the B&G's were practically new so I installed them. A little lower then I really wanted to go, but the car looks amazing and it drives ok too.

So thats the story!

I'll wind up back on stock springs by the fall anyhow. It's like a game - up, then down, then back up, then down again. I can take my suspension apart in my sleep. My neighbors think I'm nuts, I think it's fun!
So how long does it take you do to the whole suspension?
Old 05-29-2002 | 09:41 AM

Anytime Erica, anytime
welp, this Sat is the day lol. Mario is a super mechanic, but if I don't have to pay someone $75/hr for me to help them, it would be sweet LOL I will borrow the work digital camera and take many piccies of the install, so we can do a megawriteup.
Old 05-29-2002 | 10:20 AM

Yes there was a mix up and what we thought were H&R springs turned out to be B&G's. The guy I got them from was very fair, it was an honest mistake and the B&G's were practically new so I installed them. A little lower then I really wanted to go, but the car looks amazing and it drives ok too.

can u help me out dude?
i'm getting H&Rs used soon but i dont know what they look like
can u tell me how H&Rs look color-wise? or is there any other way
to tell if they're H&Rs? i dont want there to be a mix up
thanks
Old 05-29-2002 | 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Lime

welp, this Sat is the day lol. Mario is a super mechanic, but if I don't have to pay someone $75/hr for me to help them, it would be sweet LOL I will borrow the work digital camera and take many piccies of the install, so we can do a megawriteup.

Looking forward to the megawriteup. that will be sweet!!
Old 05-29-2002 | 11:04 AM

or not. Tom, check your email. I've been d*cked over by my friend, so...no install unless I can find a place with a lot of tools (I only have 2 basic socket sets) and jack/stands, I'm not getting it done any time soon.
Old 05-29-2002 | 03:31 PM

can u help me out dude?
i'm getting H&Rs used soon but i dont know what they look like
can u tell me how H&Rs look color-wise? or is there any other way
to tell if they're H&Rs? i dont want there to be a mix up
thanks
Dont b such a wuzz get at least BG springs, you saw the max I dropped, w/ sprints. You will regret getting HR's and all that fenderwell gap.
Old 05-29-2002 | 05:24 PM

Dont b such a wuzz get at least BG springs, you saw the max I dropped, w/ sprints. You will regret getting HR's and all that fenderwell gap.
scraped my lip a few times already
i think sprints r too low...and B&Gs are pretty expensive new
and hard to find used
this dude from Baton Rouge is sellling his H&Rs so i'm gonna
go for it
Old 05-29-2002 | 06:04 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Excellent post!
Looks awesome, interesting idea with the gaskets too....

I have a question for you;

How would you compare the ride quality of the H&Rs and B&Gs? I am ossuming the creaks and noises you had with the H&Rs were because of the stock struts that you ran with them? Are B&Gs any more firm then the H&Rs? Ofcourse it is hard to compare as the H&Rs were paired with stock struts, and B&Gs with AGXs.. thanks.
Old 05-29-2002 | 08:16 PM

Re: UPDATE

UPDATE: I just turned the AGX's down to 1 & 2 front and rear respectively, and the ride totally changes. Much nicer on the highway, smooth yet firm. No bounce so far. Around town it's descent as well. I think I'm going to like this setup for the summer!
I told you 1/2 was nice To those who are considering buying B+Gs go to shox.com. B+Gs are very cheap compared to H&Rs (which are also harder to get). I got mine for $179 shipped, and I believe they still list for $159. Daryl setup an everlasting group deal a while back, and when I ordered he told me that he wasn't planning on having a deadline.
-hype
Old 05-29-2002 | 08:39 PM

scraped my lip a few times already
i think sprints r too low...and B&Gs are pretty expensive new
and hard to find used
this dude from Baton Rouge is sellling his H&Rs so i'm gonna
go for it

Hmm if you drive fast and are pretty careless there goes everyones lip so is on you if you want to be a bit careful where you drive etc...I myself drive slow on pothole infested areas i.e... your school zone UNO that freaking place is full of potholes so I dont even bother going thru there unless I am stuck in traffic. But I feel you. Listen to that dude and at least go with the BG springs.
Old 05-29-2002 | 08:45 PM

Hmm if you drive fast and are pretty careless there goes everyones lip so is on you if you want to be a bit careful where you drive etc...I myself drive slow on pothole infested areas i.e... your school zone UNO that freaking place is full of potholes so I dont even bother going thru there unless I am stuck in traffic. But I feel you. Listen to that dude and at least go with the BG springs.
dude i was driving slow...u know manhattan blvd...i was jus
drving straight towards lapalco and i scrapped..i didn't
even hit a pothole...i didn't even think i was gona scrape
cus the road isn't bad on manhattan...and one time was with
my bro driving he was jus pullingout of parkin lot on a cracked
up road and it scrappd....man once skool starts i gotta drive
in N.O. every weekday..sux..i was looking into B+G after readin
thisthread but can't find a good price