4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

low idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

low idle problems

I have a 97 Maxima SE with about 118000km for the past 4000km I've have noticed some problems with my deceleration. It seems as though it's is not consistent but other times it happens consecutively. The problem is, when I take my foot off of the gas pedal it seems at though my rpm drops to about 300rpm and then springs back up to normal. When this happens it feels like the engine is going to stall but never does cause if corrects itself instantly. I've taken my car to the dealer and they've told me that they can't do anything until an engine light comes on...useless people.....

if anyone has had this problem and would be kind enough to share with me your resolution if any , I would be very thankful
Old 05-26-2002, 09:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: low idle problems

Originally posted by Lupin
I have a 97 Maxima SE with about 118000km for the past 4000km I've have noticed some problems with my deceleration. It seems as though it's is not consistent but other times it happens consecutively. The problem is, when I take my foot off of the gas pedal it seems at though my rpm drops to about 300rpm and then springs back up to normal. When this happens it feels like the engine is going to stall but never does cause if corrects itself instantly. I've taken my car to the dealer and they've told me that they can't do anything until an engine light comes on...useless people.....

if anyone has had this problem and would be kind enough to share with me your resolution if any , I would be very thankful
I have been having the same problems, but I think that it is probably the throttle body. I read on another post that the throttle body gets dirty, and the engine hunts for the right idle rpm. Use the search to see if you can find it.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:30 AM
Kevlo for President

Re: Re: low idle problems

Originally posted by Zane14

I have been having the same problems, but I think that it is probably the throttle body. I read on another post that the throttle body gets dirty, and the engine hunts for the right idle rpm. Use the search to see if you can find it.

the write up is here http://www.motorvate.ca/ under engine
Old 05-27-2002, 07:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: low idle problems

Originally posted by kevlo911

the write up is here http://www.motorvate.ca/ under engine
Thank you very much for this. I think I will do this this weekend. The symptoms that the article describes are exactly what I am experiencing. I think this might be it because if it was a failing part it would be a constant thing but since it's sporadic I think I could be this very problem...dirt!!!!

I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 05-27-2002, 07:03 AM

Re: low idle problems

I have the same F'ing problem...it went from bad to better, then to worse...its getting dangerous now, where my car hesitates on the highway...

I thought it might be the TB, but, I've cleaned it...
I've also heard its the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor, but that wasn't it...
I've also heard it might be a clogged PCV, but that wasn't it...

I'm beginning to think its my Mass Air-Flow Sensor, or my Throttle Position Sensor...I'm checking those next...

BTW -- I'm in Toronto, not sure about you, but you did use KMs...if you're nearby, I'd love to experience your issue to see if its the same as mine...

FLO_BOY
Old 05-27-2002, 07:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: low idle problems

Originally posted by FLO_BOY

I have the same F'ing problem...it went from bad to better, then to worse...its getting dangerous now, where my car hesitates on the highway...

I thought it might be the TB, but, I've cleaned it...
I've also heard its the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor, but that wasn't it...
I've also heard it might be a clogged PCV, but that wasn't it...

I'm beginning to think its my Mass Air-Flow Sensor, or my Throttle Position Sensor...I'm checking those next...

BTW -- I'm in Toronto, not sure about you, but you did use KMs...if you're nearby, I'd love to experience your issue to see if its the same as mine...

FLO_BOY
Really eh...
Well I'll try and clean the TB and see if that works.

I thought it was a sensor and I took it to the dealer but they told me that the engine light had to come on before the computer could tell what the problem was or what sensor was not working properly. I want to catch this problem before it gets worse. I have noticed that this happens on the hwy as well and it's not a comfortable feeling the way the engine just bogs out at 300rpm and then jumps back...

Yes, I'm in Toronto as well. I live in the north end of T.O. We could definitely try to analyze this problem together…
Old 05-27-2002, 07:46 AM

Yes, I'm in Toronto as well. I live in the north end of T.O. We could definitely try to analyze this problem together…

Sounds good...I'm gathering info on how to test the MAFS and the TPS...Also, I didn't know that the IACV had a cover which can be removed...so, I'm gonna try and clean that too....

message me if you'd like to meet up, or, if you solved your problem.

thanks,
FLO_BOY
Old 05-30-2002, 05:43 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Really eh...
Well I'll try and clean the TB and see if that works.

I thought it was a sensor and I took it to the dealer but they told me that the engine light had to come on before the computer could tell what the problem was or what sensor was not working properly. I want to catch this problem before it gets worse. I have noticed that this happens on the hwy as well and it's not a comfortable feeling the way the engine just bogs out at 300rpm and then jumps back...

Mine has a low idle, sometimes as low as 400rpm in "D", and I too have hesitation, but mostly around 2000 to 3000rpm
Old 05-30-2002, 06:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: low idle problems

Originally posted by Wht98SE

Mine has a low idle, sometimes as low as 400rpm in "D", and I too have hesitation, but mostly around 2000 to 3000rpm
when in D-- my car idles at 400rpms

when in Park it idles at 550

it cant be throttle body since i cleaned it less than a month agao... don't know what it is (might be knock sensor) so the car is in the shop for the frist time in 3 years...to see whats wrong...

wow.. the reliability of my maxima is great
Old 05-30-2002, 06:41 AM
Sports Button FTW

i recently cleaned my throttle body and my rpm went from 600 to about 7500 on idle...and it changes gears smoother on my auto and just runs a little better....that may be your problem....
Old 05-31-2002, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

B]AMAZING[/B]

It worked. Thanks to Zane14 and the link he provide.

This is what I did. I bought a bottle of Throttle Body Cleaner from Canadian Tire to do the job.

I removed the Air Intake housing which only took about 10 minutes. Once that was removed I proceeded with a clean white cloth to clean inside of the throttle body as well as the butterfly. This you have to be careful because you have to manually turn the butterfly to a vertical position using the throttle. Watch out for you fingers getting caught in the chamber. I made sure that I used the Throttle body Cleaner generously, spraying it everywhere on the throttle mechanism and both inside and outside of the throttle body. Once the white cloth was not gathering anymore carbon (black stuff) I knew it was clean. I replaced the Air Intake and ensured all hoses and other connections were well fasten.

Once I started the car the idling was rough but this was a result of all of the Throttle body cleaner that I used. After a few good revs the rpm settle down and remained at a stable 650rpm in neutral. I then put the car in drive and the rpms went to about 600rpm. Driving the vehicle, the rpm never dipped below 550rpm. I tested extensively and not once did the problem arise. The other thing that I noticed is that the accelerator is a little more sensitive now and the car responses a little better.

This was definitely a good solution. I recommend trying this.

Thank you to all who shared they're opinions and experiences with me in helping to resolve this problem.