4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fail emission - helppp

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fail emission - helppp

I installed a cone filter this morning before going to school and forgot to plug the wire back to the black square thingy (hope you guys know what i mean) before I start the car so the CEL came on so I turn the car off and reset the ECU. The light is gone but I went to have the emission check for the tag after got back from school which is about a 80 mile drive and it said the car fail.

here is what it said

"OBD Test Result: FAIL
Based on the information obtained from the On-Board Diag. (OBD) Computer in the vehicle, the system is not ready to make a determination regarding the pollution control systems on the vehicle. This situation must be corrected before your veh.'s OBD system can complete it's self test prior to being reinspected and registered.

On-Board Diag. Codes Read - 00
No Fault Codes Found
"

Any idea what's going on? sorry for the long post..
thanks,
Old 05-28-2002, 08:11 PM

Re: Fail emission - helppp

On obd2 vehicles, the ecu will test some of the emission systems when driven a certain way. It will then store in its memory that it completed the test. Because you reset the ecu, it lost the memory. Now the ecu has to run all the tests all over again for you to pass. Since I don't live in your state, that is my best guess.

Originally posted by ymNA
I installed a cone filter this morning before going to school and forgot to plug the wire back to the black square thingy (hope you guys know what i mean) before I start the car so the CEL came on so I turn the car off and reset the ECU. The light is gone but I went to have the emission check for the tag after got back from school which is about a 80 mile drive and it said the car fail.

here is what it said

"OBD Test Result: FAIL
Based on the information obtained from the On-Board Diag. (OBD) Computer in the vehicle, the system is not ready to make a determination regarding the pollution control systems on the vehicle. This situation must be corrected before your veh.'s OBD system can complete it's self test prior to being reinspected and registered.

On-Board Diag. Codes Read - 00
No Fault Codes Found
"

Any idea what's going on? sorry for the long post..
thanks,
Old 05-28-2002, 08:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Fail emission - helppp

Originally posted by gabuchu
On obd2 vehicles, the ecu will test some of the emission systems when driven a certain way. It will then store in its memory that it completed the test. Because you reset the ecu, it lost the memory. Now the ecu has to run all the tests all over again for you to pass. Since I don't live in your state, that is my best guess.
thanks for the reply, I think that's the problem, cuz since it say no faults recorded. So approximatly how long I have to drive for the ecu to completly done the testing? I guess i'll drive like mad tomorrow and do the test on thur.

P.S. oh my god,,,,i see the server busy message while trying to post this reply....