4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

timing chain, NOOO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

timing chain, NOOO!!!

dammit, i think my timing chain tensioner is going

was time for my first oil change (just got this car 12/26/01, with 58k mi and did the oil change at 62k) so i ran a bottle of Amsoil engine flush through, then changed to Amsoil 10W-30 and an Amsoil filter - now i got a tiny oil leak, and a few days later started getting a second or two of timing chain clatter noise upon a cold start-up

maybe the engine flush knocked out some goop that was keeping the oil from draining into the timing chain area or keeping the oil pressure up? or is it the synthetic oil just being too slippery and getting down in there, or not giving me enough oil pressure?

i could put dyno oil back in the car, and that might fix the clatter, but i really don't want to do that

i'm pretty sure the car is still under some sort of warranty (it was a certified pre-owned, purchased from a dealer) - i have to check that when i get home

if it's still on warranty and this sort of thing is covered, i'm going to try my very best with the dealership to get it fixed because i wanted to keep this car for the long long haul - i wouldn't feel good with even a little bit of chain clatter out of fear that it would significantly reduce my engine life-span, or need to get fixed later at a greater cost as more things break

for those of you that have been living with minor chain clatter on cold-start up, how long have you been running the car like that, and has it gotten worse over time?
Old 05-30-2002, 03:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

All maxis do that, even after a new chain, but not as bad.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
All maxis do that, even after a new chain, but not as bad.
Mine didn't do it before the flush and change - but it's a TSB for years 97-99, so perhaps they all eventually do

And of course it's still going to do it if you just replace the chain - you're talking replaced tensioners too, right?

Or perhaps you're using the wrong tensioner - i read in a TSB posted to the forum that there was an updated tensioner that didn't leak (though the TSB i got from alldatadiy.com doesn't make mention of it)

Are the tensioners coming from thepartsbin.com the newer tensioners? maybe that's the problem with irreparable timing chain systems

Anyways, i just read in my warranty that timing chains and tensioners are covered

Check this - i'm going to tell them that i put the synthetic fluid in to fix the timing chain problem, so they don't try and void the warranty with that

And that's what i'm telling the local dealership here - if that doesn't work, i'll buy a Nissan OEM filter from them, change out my Amsoil, and take it to the dealership that i bought it at (an hour north of here)
Old 05-31-2002, 07:53 AM

Re: timing chain, NOOO!!!

Originally posted by Yossarian
for those of you that have been living with minor chain clatter on cold-start up, how long have you been running the car like that, and has it gotten worse over time?
anyone?
Old 05-31-2002, 10:29 AM

Startup noises like you are describing could also be due to the oil filter. The filter may not have a good anti-drainback valve. This would be surprising, considering that it is an Amsoil filter. I would suggest trying a Nissan oil filter, or the filter you were uing before, and see how that goes. I know that if you do use the Nissan filter, you will loose the extneded drain interval that the Amsoil probably gives you. But, timing chain is critical, so you gotta take care of that 1st.

DW
Old 05-31-2002, 10:45 AM

I don't think the dealer would hassle you over synthetic oil in this case. Also, the 10W-30 you put in should have a higher initial oil pressure over a 5W-30, so maintaing oil pressure on start-up shouldn't be the problem.

It is possible that the engine cleaner removed a deposit that was preventing a damaged seal from leaking and that is part of the problem.

It is also possible that you ended up with a bad filter as dwapenyi said, though I haven't heard of any quality control problems with them. I use the filters on a 97 with higher mileage and I don't have a cold start issue with them.

If you do decide to try a different filter, you can still extend the drain intervals and maintain a warranty from Amsoil. You just have to change the filter at the Nissan recommended interval instead of Amsoil's. On that note have you contacted Amsoil's tech services to see if they have any input on this?
Old 05-31-2002, 11:01 AM

i've got another Amsoil filter lying around at home - i'll try that out and see if it stops the noise (which i heard again this morning, fourth day in a row)

thanks guys!
Old 05-31-2002, 11:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

I replaced all tensioners and all sprokets chains etc, everything. the kit from theparts bin doesnt come w/ sprockets, so I had to buy 375 dollars worth of sprockets from the dealer.

It doesn't do it at all now, but i read on the 5th gen board that one guy with a 2K2 had the noise, mine was really bad before the change, but now its quiet. So just change the tensoiners for now.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:45 AM

Oil colour after change....

question...
I changed my oil last week, and when I drained it, the oil was a little dark, I used AMSOil 0W30 last time, and the same this time. However, when I put the new oil in, it was clean, then when I checked it, it was slighty darker...

I gather I didn't get all the old oil out, is there a trick to this?

Thanks,
-Phantom
Old 05-31-2002, 12:39 PM
rmb

Re: Oil colour after change....

Originally posted by PhantomMenace
question...
I changed my oil last week, and when I drained it, the oil was a little dark, I used AMSOil 0W30 last time, and the same this time. However, when I put the new oil in, it was clean, then when I checked it, it was slighty darker...

Thanks,
-Phantom
Darkness/visible viscosity of the oil has nothing to do with it's quality. You'd need to get the oil professionally analyzed to tell its condition.

If the oil is brownish/milky(antifreeze/water) or has visible particles in it, obviously something else is very wrong....

-RMB
Old 05-31-2002, 12:41 PM

Re: Oil colour after change....

It's not impossible, but it's very close to it. In my old car, afetr draining all the oil out, I would start the car for 2 seconds and the oil pan usualy spat out just a bit more oil that just wasn't draining.

Now I realize I'm not gaining much from those extra drops. Just be glad that you got %90-%95 of the old oil out.

DW

question...

Thanks,
-Phantom
Old 05-31-2002, 02:09 PM

Re: Re: Oil colour after change....

Cool... When I got Nissan to change it, the colour was alot cleaner than how I got it, anyone have any idea of what they do different?

Thanks again,
-Phantom

Originally posted by dwapenyi
It's not impossible, but it's very close to it. In my old car, afetr draining all the oil out, I would start the car for 2 seconds and the oil pan usualy spat out just a bit more oil that just wasn't draining.

Now I realize I'm not gaining much from those extra drops. Just be glad that you got %90-%95 of the old oil out.

DW

Old 05-31-2002, 02:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Oil colour after change....

Different motor oil. Some oils are have color on the dipstick even when brand spanking new.

DW

Cool... When I got Nissan to change it, the colour was alot cleaner than how I got it, anyone have any idea of what they do different?

Thanks again,
-Phantom

Old 05-31-2002, 07:51 PM

Timing chain noises are common in the 4th generation Maximas. In fact, my tensioners were replaced at 30,000 miles. Luckily, it was under warranty at the time. I heard that the service to perform this job is well over a $1000.00!
Old 06-01-2002, 07:33 PM

i re-torqued my oil filter today - thinking back i originally didn't have it on tight enough, and oil was leaking from the base of the filter, so i tightened it much as i could by hand

i'm not entirely sure, but the timing chain noise might have started only after i tightened the filter - maybe the anti-drain-back wasn't working because the filter was on too tight?

anyways, i re-torqued it with the instructions on the filter and i'm going to see how the timing chain noise goes over the next few days

if that doesn't change anything i'm going to try another filter for a few days - and if that doesn't work, then it's off to the dealer for warranty repair... because i think i can now hear a little bit of that noise up until the car warms up so it may be getting worse already