4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 09:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

I just bought my 1998 Maxima SE three days ago. It's black, and it's just about fully loaded (everything but leather and climate control, which I didn't care about anyways). I love it. Except for one thing.

It's an automatic. I originally wanted a 5-speed, but I was unable to find one in my area after weeks and weeks of searching (I was being VERY picky about the color and options I wanted - I would ONLY buy an SE, and it had to be black )

Anyways, the automatic is nice, I've decided, but I can't help but wonder... is the 5-speed Maxima faster than my automatic Maxima? If I was to race a 5-speed with my auto, would it kick my but horribly, or only a little bit?

The guy at the dealership told me that the auto only loses 2/10 of a second in acceleration from 0-60 compared to the standard. Right. I don't really beleive him. But, I figured since there are so many smart people in this forum, I'd ask... Is it true? Is my auto almost as fast as a standard? Or would any 5-speed kick my a** with room to spare? What's the difference in performance between the auto and the 5-speed?

Alright. I'm finished. Sorry for writing such a long post.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:57 PM

the difference between automatic and manual is pretty big sometimes. i seriously doubt that the auto max can pull a 6.7 0-60 time. but the manual can. i would expect an auto to run a 7.2 or higher possibly. but yeah if u race a manual u will lose no doubt unless the guy can't drive worth crap.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:57 PM

Re: Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

Originally posted by swcello
I just bought my 1998 Maxima SE three days ago. It's black, and it's just about fully loaded (everything but leather and climate control, which I didn't care about anyways). I love it. Except for one thing.

It's an automatic. I originally wanted a 5-speed, but I was unable to find one in my area after weeks and weeks of searching (I was being VERY picky about the color and options I wanted - I would ONLY buy an SE, and it had to be black )

Anyways, the automatic is nice, I've decided, but I can't help but wonder... is the 5-speed Maxima faster than my automatic Maxima? If I was to race a 5-speed with my auto, would it kick my but horribly, or only a little bit?

The guy at the dealership told me that the auto only loses 2/10 of a second in acceleration from 0-60 compared to the standard. Right. I don't really beleive him. But, I figured since there are so many smart people in this forum, I'd ask... Is it true? Is my auto almost as fast as a standard? Or would any 5-speed kick my a** with room to spare? What's the difference in performance between the auto and the 5-speed?

Alright. I'm finished. Sorry for writing such a long post.
As a driver of the same car that started as an auto and is now a stick, sorry, but there is no comparison. I will never again have a auto on a car that is geared for performance (with the exception of the E-55)
Old 05-31-2002, 10:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

Originally posted by Iron Lung

As a driver of the same car that started as an auto and is now a stick, sorry, but there is no comparison. I will never again have a auto on a car that is geared for performance (with the exception of the E-55)
You converted your automatic to a stick? Isn't that incredibly expensive?
Old 05-31-2002, 10:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

About $2300, but I had already done alot of mods to the car and I knew that I was going to keep this car until the wheels fall off. So I am not worried about resale value.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:31 PM

Re: Re: Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

Originally posted by Iron Lung

The E55 AMG will get beat by the M5 and for a less money and more class IMHO
Old 05-31-2002, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by RastaManMax

not in auto form. There is no Auto M5.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:21 PM

I also converted, and wrote instructions... see them at www.css.tayloru.edu/~hheiner/hlh0501 ,

it is not too expensive, and not thaat hard.. give it a look, I say there is no comparison between my old auto (I had two of them) and my now 5spd max.. love it waay more,
Old 05-31-2002, 11:37 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: Re: Re: Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

Originally posted by hlh0501

I also converted, and wrote instructions... see them at www.css.tayloru.edu/~hheiner/hlh0501 ,

it is not too expensive, and not thaat hard.. give it a look, I say there is no comparison between my old auto (I had two of them) and my now 5spd max.. love it waay more,
^^^^^ MY HERO

i always believed stick was faster than auto cause u can change gears faster being u r in control of your car or change at the right time...there may be something more to it but either way, stick is a must for me and just like the two above, i'll have to do conversion...its costing me roughly 2100-2300 but only cause we're like getting a lot of the parts new....if u tend on driving for regular use, never racing or anything, u can do conversion for well under 1500...all depends on what u want...either way, its cheaper than selling car and buying 5 speed with money for car + extra 2500....because u don't know what condition your new 5 speed will be in and more than likely the clutch may be going soon and its better this way cause u replacing all the bad parts....

only cheaper selling car if u have like 97 auto and get 95 or 96 stick....
Old 05-31-2002, 11:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

Originally posted by meccanoble
i always believed stick was faster than auto cause u can change gears faster being u r in control of your car or change at the right time...there may be something more to it....
there are 3 huge speed advantages I can think of.

1. launch, you can have the revs a little higher and use clutch to get maximum power vs traction on the launch..

2. shifts are faster (no lag) w/ the 5spd compared to auto

3. automatic transmissions use hp! I want to say, but am not 100% on this, that for an average car the automatic uses 5-10% MORE hp than a manual tranny.. so that would be about 10hp give or take some
Old 06-01-2002, 01:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

3. automatic transmissions use hp! I want to say, but am not 100% on this, that for an average car the automatic uses 5-10% MORE hp than a manual tranny.. so that would be about 10hp give or take some
this is due to our draining torque converter. a manual transmission sends direct power to the driveshaft which then spins the wheels.

I got a 2nd max, a ruby 5-speed. I love it! (still learning how to smoothly shift consistenly & shift quickly)
Old 06-01-2002, 03:51 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by 96AltyGXE
but yeah if u race a manual u will lose no doubt unless the guy can't drive worth crap.
I guess I should just let this one go, but I am to hardheaded for that.

I guess it's going to be video time very soon.

swcello- you WILL beat some 5-speeds. And not because they can't drive. There are about 20 posts on this subject in the past 2 months.

But you will also loose to some 5-spds. It's funny becasue there is no way to know until you try
Old 06-01-2002, 06:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

there are 3 huge speed advantages I can think of.

1. launch, you can have the revs a little higher and use clutch to get maximum power vs traction on the launch..

2. shifts are faster (no lag) w/ the 5spd compared to auto

One BIG reason the 5 speed Maxima's are faster is that the gear ratios are much shorter than they are in the auto. That's also why the auto manages to get better mileage on the highway, despite the better efficiency inherent in a manual transmission. The 5 speed and the auto are two completely different cars personality wise.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:02 AM

I found a company that takes your old tranny and delivers to your door a rebuilt OEM one for like $800. So when I kill my auto tragic, thats when Ill do the tranny swap.

For now Im enjoying my 500 highway miles to a tank of gas!

Old 06-01-2002, 08:52 AM

Re: Automatic vs. Standard 5-Speed - Difference in Performance

i have a 97 5spd andi have gone against autos before and spanked them(no offense) but the other guys are right u can beat a guy who can't drive worth dookie.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by RastaManMax

Eh M5 = class? laf

The only reason the M5 is faster is because it has an extra 50 horses and you have better launch control thanks to a 6 speed manual vs a 5 speed auto.

Next year should be fun though with the E55s new powerplant Besides once you drive a Merc you never wanna go back. My dad has driven them for the last 25 years. When he went to choose between the 7 series and the new S the choice was obvious..... The 7 just does not feel right.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i just got my max a few months ago, and i was very picky as to what i wanted just like you, it took me almost two months to find the right one and i did. And because i have driven both auto and manual i think both are fast but at auto has no chance compared to a manual. Its also more fun do drive, except in trafic or befind old ladies.

Me and my friend raced, hes got an auto, and i gave him a half a car lenght on me and when we launched i almost stalled the car(didnt think we where going yet), but i still took a car lenght on him by 60.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:03 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Automatic and Manual is like Night and day.

I have a '95 SE AUTO, my friend has a '95 SE 5spd. At the time we compared we both only had a popcharger. I took him for a ride, and then he took me for a ride. I can safely say that he would destroy me off the line and thereafter.

I now have a CAI, Y-pipe, and custom catback exhaust. We compared again, from about a 30mph roll. He still only has a popcharger. His car STILL pulls a little harder than mine. That's why I've decided to convert to 5-speed as soon as Mr. Chaz finds a tranny. (Praying!)

Typically there is about a 1 second difference in performance between the auto max and the manual. ('95 Auto 0-60 7.3-7.6, 5spd 6.5-6.6)