4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

House Rules (if any) for your Max?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 06:21 PM

I agree with Joaquink

Although Joaquink may have been a bit vexatious in his attempt to rebuke the cigarette-butt flicking litterers' of the world; I think he has a point.

Nobody likes to walk by their roadside flowerbed and among the daylilies and peonies find damp cigarette butts. They're undesirable pieces of rubbish, just as a beer bottle or fast food cup is. What startles me is that some justify their damaging actions by thinking that its okay simply because something doesn't take that long to decompose. Depending upon environmental conditions, a cigarette butt takes 2-5 years to break down. I'm certain I'm not the only one who feels like 3 or 4 years is a long time to look at a cigarette butt because of someones lack of responsibility reguarding the proper disposal of certain cancer causing pop-culture popularized products.

It also angers me to see a person talk in a derisive manner about people that respect nature and the environment. Although it may sound platitudinous I'll say it anyway. Because of the fact that so many people have an apathetical attitude when it comes to environmental preservation, the ones who actually do care and devote their time to this cause should be respected and appreciated; and certainly not used as the butt of jeering remarks.

Please put your butts where they belong; in the ashtray.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:43 PM

Re: I agree with Joaquink

Originally posted by VQPhisher
Although Joaquink may have been a bit vexatious in his attempt to rebuke the cigarette-butt flicking litterers' of the world; I think he has a point.

Nobody likes to walk by their roadside flowerbed and among the daylilies and peonies find damp cigarette butts. They're undesirable pieces of rubbish, just as a beer bottle or fast food cup is. What startles me is that some justify their damaging actions by thinking that its okay simply because something doesn't take that long to decompose. Depending upon environmental conditions, a cigarette butt takes 2-5 years to break down. I'm certain I'm not the only one who feels like 3 or 4 years is a long time to look at a cigarette butt because of someones lack of responsibility reguarding the proper disposal of certain cancer causing pop-culture popularized products.

It also angers me to see a person talk in a derisive manner about people that respect nature and the environment. Although it may sound platitudinous I'll say it anyway. Because of the fact that so many people have an apathetical attitude when it comes to environmental preservation, the ones who actually do care and devote their time to this cause should be respected and appreciated; and certainly not used as the butt of jeering remarks.

Please put your butts where they belong; in the ashtray.
Okay... for the lay people:
plat·i·tude Pronunciation Key (plt-td, -tyd)
n.
1. A trite or banal remark or statement, especially one expressed as if it were original or significant. See Synonyms at cliché.
2. Lack of originality; triteness.

Look, I understand what you are saying... I am against people littering and the like, so I guess you are right about the cigarette butts...

My only point is that if people like yourself were so concerned about the environment you would be riding your bike... Not driving a car. I could make the same argument that evertime you drive your car you are slowly killing the environment... The word hyp·o·crite comes to mind... I think we all know what that means!
Old 06-04-2002, 08:27 PM

Well....

I guess your right about the everytime I'm driving my car thing. That's exactly why my Maxima is currently up for sale. I plan to take the money I get from the Nissan and buy a Honda Insight. Hybrids rule!

Its true, everytime we get in our cars and commute to and fro we are only polluting the environment more. Just like everyone else on the board, I understand this. What you have to see is that its about baby steps. Putting cigarette butts into an ashtray is something that can very easily be done by anyone, and something that keeps our environment looking just that little bit cleaner and
safer(each year an untold number of animals, birds in particular, mistake filters for food and end up choking to death on them). On the other hand; At this point in time someone like me riding a bicycle 10 miles to the local high school every morning and afternoon, down a very busy 4-lane highway, really doesn't accomplish all that much. Although the possibility does exist that it could cause my death and others after someone nails my Huffy head on.

Carpooling is a step up from the ashtray and would in most cases be more effective than riding a bike by yourself; as you would be taking two or three cars off the road instead of just one.

Its the simple things, like putting cigarette butts into an ashtray, that when not done show a total lack of concern and respect towards nature and the environment. Riding a bike all the time is something that is just not feasible for most people, me included. It's about what can be done by the most to make the most; that being positive change.

According to your generalized way of thinking, anyone that has ever recycled and driven a car is a hypocrite.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:15 AM

As this thread gets more and more off-topic I am realizing that I don't really disagree with you... I'm just agruing. So why don't we just call a truce... We both have valid points and I don't mean to say that everyone is a hypocrite...

You are a true champion of the environment... I will always think of you when i throw my cig out the window!

j/k I will try and be a better person
Old 06-05-2002, 08:39 AM

1) Don't strike the driver
2) Driver drives...no backseat instruction
3) Driver's choice of music
4) Eating and drinking are permitted, however if there is a spill you will die
5) No trash
6) No bodies that could do something to seats (ie if im picking my sister up from a pool party, she waits at least 5 minutes to dry off before she even thinks abou stepping in the car).

gosh im strict...
Old 06-05-2002, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by jlharris_50010
As this thread gets more and more off-topic I am realizing that I don't really disagree with you... I'm just agruing. So why don't we just call a truce... We both have valid points and I don't mean to say that everyone is a hypocrite...

You are a true champion of the environment... I will always think of you when i throw my cig out the window!

j/k I will try and be a better person
lol i like this guy-
i never thought ash was such a bad thing since its so small but i see what hes saying.
WHATS ILK!?!?!? i still dont know
Old 06-05-2002, 09:40 AM

No smoking cigs period unless I'm the one smoking cuz I've been drinking!
No sex? Sex is always permitted with one condition: no other guy except the driver is involved. Girls: unlimited & always welcome!
And last one, no food period! unless I'm by myself and I know I won't mess up...
Old 06-05-2002, 10:32 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by jlharris_50010
My ilk... I can't believe that you freak out about a cigarette butt... First off it is probably the most biodegradable thing that you by in a box. Secondly, don't you think we may have some more pressing problems than a freaking little cigarette butt?

I know that ash is a huge problem from cigarette smoke... I wonder how many tons of ash per day are expelled from the hundreds of coal power plants across this country... I'll bet you Maxima does more damage to the enivronment in a year than all of my smoking does... You are an idiot!
Where did I say my concern was "damage to the environment"? I don't
think I ever brought that up as an issue. The issue is that it's
inconsiderate and regardless of the biodegradable status of the item,
it's still called littering. And no, I don't want to see your cig
remains as I walk around. I also don't like the fact that a still
burning butt was tossed out of a window, landed on my VFR's tank
and then bounced into my lap.

Perhaps I am an idiot in comparison to your exceptional I.Q. However,
I'm not the one tossing incendiary devices out of a window into a
petroleum-product saoked area. I'm also not in the group of people
that start countless roadside fires along the Interstates by tossing
cig butts out the window with dry brush all around. And I don't
know, I'm really just guessing here, but as far as it probably being,
"the most biodegradable thing that you by in a box", I'd argue that
things like cereal, dried fruit, flower, sugar, etc. are far more
biodegradable and also readily available in boxes. Please don't
throw those out of your window either.

And believe me, I'm no tree-hugging environmentalist. That said,
I'll get off my soap box, which previously contained a substance
that is also likely more quickly degraded in the environment than a
cigarette butt, and back on topic now.

My 'house rules' are:
1)No smoking.
2)No backseat drivers.
3)No throwing anything out the window, regardless of its biodegradability.
4)Eating is allowed until you make a mess.
5)No feet on the dash or backs of seats.