4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any recommended shift knobs and boots for 4th gen 5 speeds??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 06:25 AM
Sports Button FTW

Any recommended shift ***** and boots for 4th gen 5 speeds??

need a shift **** and boot and being the stocks are a little costly brand new, i might as well look into an aftermarket for same price or less....shame i have to spend so much on a ****...anyway, i seen one guy with an illuminated shift **** which looked real nice and i would love to get soemthing like that but if any of you have one which was very cheap to great prices, give me links or pics...

also, can u make any combination? stock boot with an aftermarket ****? stock **** with aftermarket boot? that illuminated **** with stock or aftermarket boot? let me know what would fit and what would not....
Old 06-05-2002, 06:57 AM
I'm so hood

Awww, don't say "illuminated ****"... :/

I personally really liked the similar **** I got to this below for my Acura, from Team Voodoo:

The stock boot in the Acura didn't quite fit, but there's easy ways around that, plus some lever showing isn't the worst thing in the world imo. I've been pondering ordering one like above for the Max - I really miss the way the shifts feel with a circular ****. However, polished alum might be a bit flashy for the Max, and it gets hot/cold quickly.

Team Voodoo originally designed shift ***** for Miatas and branched out a bit. Greg there told me that the threads are the same on Nissans as they are on Mazdas, so any of the ones made for Mazdas would work fine. No crappy aftermarket-y one-fits-all screw.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The threading of the Maxima 5 speed shift **** is the same for the Mazda Miata. So, you can look into all the aftermarket shift ***** for the Miata, too. Here's the one I have, and love it

http://www.rspeed.net/miata/item.asp...0&prod=531-103

DW
Old 06-05-2002, 08:23 AM
Sin

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The threading of the Maxima 5 speed shift **** is the same for the Mazda Miata. So, you can look into all the aftermarket shift ***** for the Miata, too. Here's the one I have, and love it

http://www.rspeed.net/miata/item.asp...0&prod=531-103

DW
Do you know if the SMC STS has the same threading as the stock shifter?
Old 06-05-2002, 08:23 AM
Sports Button FTW

wow a ball

man, is there any other car i can strip this from? bout to check out junk yards for them and if ones from honda's or acura's will fit, i'm set...those are crashed more than any other cars out there..haha
Old 06-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't know

DW

Originally posted by Sin

Old 06-05-2002, 09:30 AM
I'm so hood

Man, everytime I look I can't believe how short the stock throw is on MX-5s

That's iffy...look into the product info a bit more, I'd say. I've seen a lot of STS packages that advertise something like "And you can add any aftermarket universal-screw-on shift ****!", which kinda meant to me "This doesn't have the same thread size as stock"

is there any other car i can strip this from? bout to check out junk yards for them and if ones from honda's or acura's will fit
Honda's threads are unique. Any 10x1.25mm thread should work, but I'm not aware of any other car company besides Mazda that matches those dimensions.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:42 AM

Re: Any recommended shift ***** and boots for 4th gen 5 speeds??

Originally posted by meccanoble
need a shift **** and boot and being the stocks are a little costly brand new, i might as well look into an aftermarket for same price or less....shame i have to spend so much on a ****...anyway, i seen one guy with an illuminated shift **** which looked real nice and i would love to get soemthing like that but if any of you have one which was very cheap to great prices, give me links or pics...

also, can u make any combination? stock boot with an aftermarket ****? stock **** with aftermarket boot? that illuminated **** with stock or aftermarket boot? let me know what would fit and what would not....
Get a deerskin shift boot very nice quality leather jcwhitney has the cheepest price round 17.99 deerskin site sells them for 35 - 37 bucks. OBX STS is the same thread as our stock shifter. I bought a afrermarket shift **** that is secured by allen screws.