4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

having trouble putting on fuel filter!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 10:21 AM

fuel filter!!!

Ok I am trying to put in a new fuel filter but I am having some problems. First there is no slck in the lines so I dont have any room to work with. And I cant get the damn lines off the filter they are stuck on thereand are not moving. I would cut them but im afraid there wont be enough there to put the new one in.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:36 AM

use a blow dryer or a heat gun to heat up the lines. They should slide right off then. Be careful not to heat them up to much. Just for a minute or so and they should come right off!! Hope this helps
Old 06-05-2002, 10:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: fuel filter!!!

Originally posted by fatmike
Ok I am trying to put in a new fuel filter but I am having some problems. First there is no slck in the lines so I dont have any room to work with. And I cant get the damn lines off the filter they are stuck on thereand are not moving. I would cut them but im afraid there wont be enough there to put the new one in.
Remove your airfilter box. Made a world of difference for me.

Also, to get the hoses off, wedge a flat head screwdriver between the hose end and filter.

Hope that helps a bit. It was still a PIA .
Old 06-05-2002, 10:38 AM

It's easier to undo the filter lines at the upper and lower ends and take the filter with lines to the workbench to replace the filter.
Once the clamps are loosened and moved out of the way, it still takes a bit of pulling and twisting to get them off of the pipes and filter flares. The job really isn't as bad as some have made it out to be once the air intake is removed for working room. I've worked on harder fuel filter replacements. I also left the FSTB installed.

-Mark
Old 06-05-2002, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by camaro1698
use a blow dryer or a heat gun to heat up the lines. They should slide right off then. Be careful not to heat them up to much. Just for a minute or so and they should come right off!! Hope this helps
No disrespect to camaro1698 ...

But, I would make sure my life insurance is paid in full before I hit the fuel lines with a heat gun. My heat gun has two settings: 800f and 1000f... what does gasoline flash at?
Old 06-05-2002, 10:51 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by hamett

No disrespect to camaro1698 ...

But, I would make sure my life insurance is paid in full before I hit the fuel lines with a heat gun. My heat gun has two settings: 800f and 1000f... what does gasoline flash at?

Yeah, the blow dryer isn't a real good idea...
Old 06-05-2002, 11:18 AM

I replaced mine 2 weeks ago. Took about 20 minutes. Most of time spent trying to get the top hose off. I did not remove my STB or airbox. I just kept switching hands; grabbing the hose and using the thumb to push. Talk about finger strength. Once the top was off, then the rest was easy. The car was warm, perhaps that helped a little.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:25 AM

I had the same problem. Here is what I did. First remove the airbox to give you easy access. Next spray hoses (where they attch to the old filter) with some WD-40. Let it sit a few minutes then give it a twist. I worked for me and that thing was stuck on there like it was never coming off.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:23 PM

Ummm, I think it is VERY UNSAFE to heat the hoses with a heat gun or blow dryer around gasoline! Do what I did...if the top hose is hard to get off, cut it and replace with a new one. Make sure it is a fuel injection hose. Once the top hose is off, the bottom one is easier to work with. But, I don't recommend cutting the bottom one, because it's harder to access in putting it back on. Remove the air filter assembly, too. It makes it much easier to work your hands in there. Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2002, 12:57 PM

Make Damn sure it's fuel injector hose!!! they might sell you vacuum hose of the same size, but it will burst under normal fuel pressure. I speak from experience. very BAD experience!!!!

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
Ummm, I think it is VERY UNSAFE to heat the hoses with a heat gun or blow dryer around gasoline! Do what I did...if the top hose is hard to get off, cut it and replace with a new one. Make sure it is a fuel injection hose. Once the top hose is off, the bottom one is easier to work with. But, I don't recommend cutting the bottom one, because it's harder to access in putting it back on. Remove the air filter assembly, too. It makes it much easier to work your hands in there. Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, I'll emphasize, fuel injector hose.

How do you know? Make sure the hose is SAE 30R9. It'll be written somewhere on the hose.

Regular feul line hoses are SAE 30R7. Stay away from that stuff. That's really only good for older cars and heater hoses.

DW

Originally posted by mango95se
Make Damn sure it's fuel injector hose!!! they might sell you vacuum hose of the same size, but it will burst under normal fuel pressure. I speak from experience. very BAD experience!!!!

Old 06-05-2002, 02:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

take the top hose off first, not at the fuel filter end, but the top side... somebody already said this, but anyway. after that, just twist the fuel filter to get the bottom hose off. takes a little patience, but its doable.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:37 PM

It's a pain, but its not rocket science. Don't cut the hose unless you are really tired of pulling. Take the airbox out and let the sun shine down there for a while (I live in Texas so results may vary)(Actualy, I imagine a spirited drive on a hot day will heat those lines up).

Don't forget to let your engine idle, then pull the Fuel Pump fuse (in the interior fuse panel) while its idling... then crank the engine once to release the pressure in the lines.

If it helps pull the filter out of the bracket so you can get a better angle on it. If you can, have a buddy pry at the line while you pull the hose away from the filter.

Work at it for a while with a flat tip screwdriver. If it doesn't come work on something else or go watch TV for a while. Then come back and it should come off.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:46 PM

me and my friend wanked for a good 20 minutes, and tried the screwdriver idea, but instead we just got a vice grip, and twisted out the hose that way...worked wonders ....still tryin to figure out why the car stalls tho ....think some air is linkin into the upper intake
Old 06-05-2002, 07:37 PM

i managed to change mine after an hour... i'm a skinny lanky white guy... hehe

it took me forever pulling at the hose... i finally got it off and was the happiest man alive! hehe

i unscrewed the top part of the filter from the hose part that is attached to the engine. not the filter. Then once i FINALLY! managed to pull it off, i moved it aside and the filter, and got a long screwdriver and just un did the bottom part of the filter. getting it back on was ALOT easier! If i were you, i would put just a bit of oil on your finger and rub it on the metal piece on the bottom of the new filter, so when you put the hose back on, it slides right on easily.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:52 PM

Whats the number for the fuel pump fuse? These are the fuses right above the left knee when you're the driver right? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:32 PM

Do you not have a map of them on the fuse panel door.

I'll go look, but only if you don't have a sticker on the fuse panel door that tells you where they are.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Jamsan
me and my friend wanked for a good 20 minutes, and tried the screwdriver idea, but instead we just got a vice grip, and twisted out the hose that way...worked wonders ....still tryin to figure out why the car stalls tho ....think some air is linkin into the upper intake
Are you sure its not a fuel leak?

Also, you might have buggered up the Idle Air Control Valve, or the hoses that go to it; that will make it stall.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:36 AM

its not a fuel leak i dont think anyways, because i dont smell ANY gas at all....im gonna fix up my intake today...actually in like 30 minutes we are gonna get started

-the fuse for it is a blue #15 fuse...itll have a number 32 next to it