4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP! I think the body shop stole my calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 07:03 AM

HELP! I think the body shop stole my calipers

I just got my car back from the body shop yesterday and this morning i was looking at my wheels and notice that i could see my brake pads fully. This isnt normal is it? I remember there being a cover over the pads so that i couldnt directly see the brake pads by just looking straight at the wheels. Am I correct about this? Was it like this on all 4 wheels??? Cuz if this is true i need to go back to the shop asap and complain like crazy...
Old 06-06-2002, 07:12 AM

Re: HELP! I think the body shop stole my calipers

the the best of my knowledge.. the calipers hold the pads, and without the calipers you couldnt stop with the brakes.. maybe they surfaced ur rotor and it just looks a lot cleaner...

Originally posted by Larcenist
I just got my car back from the body shop yesterday and this morning i was looking at my wheels and notice that i could see my brake pads fully. This isnt normal is it? I remember there being a cover over the pads so that i couldnt directly see the brake pads by just looking straight at the wheels. Am I correct about this? Was it like this on all 4 wheels??? Cuz if this is true i need to go back to the shop asap and complain like crazy...
Old 06-06-2002, 07:17 AM

well, i didnt really mean the caliper.. but like i guess the metal piece that ppl paint. It seems that im missing that piece. I can completely see my brake pads. I know i had that piece before tho b/c i would always look at it and tell myself that i wanted to paint it. Am i making any sense here. Maybe im just really confused and paranoid cuz the shop did a horrible job w/ my car and added 100+ extra miles on it and it was in there for a long time ( 4 weeks ). Does anybody have a picture of their wheels and the brakes on a 4th gen maxima they could show me.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:25 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

There are no covers on the calipers on 4th gen Maxaims.
YES you can see the back of your brake pads through the wheels.
The caliper istelf is what gets painted.
Without the caliper, you would not have been able to drive your car.

The body shop could not have given you a driveable car with any parts of the brakes missing.

Don't go back to the shop, your going to make a fool out of yourself. Unless your going to complain about body work or paint.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:25 AM

the metal piece that people paint is the caliper.. hrm.. maybe take a pic cuz im having a hard time imagining what you describe. heres a pic of the caliper on the rotor with the wheel removed via the .org... https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modi...emovewheel.jpg

well, i didnt really mean the caliper.. but like i guess the metal piece that ppl paint. It seems that im missing that piece. I can completely see my brake pads. I know i had that piece before tho b/c i would always look at it and tell myself that i wanted to paint it. Am i making any sense here. Maybe im just really confused and paranoid cuz the shop did a horrible job w/ my car and added 100+ extra miles on it and it was in there for a long time ( 4 weeks ). Does anybody have a picture of their wheels and the brakes on a 4th gen maxima they could show me.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:28 AM

yeah.. i think i am a bit paranoid. I just looked at some pictures online that i found. Its just ever since i got my car back it feels and seems like its not the same. You guys ever get that feeling that your cars been messed with and it just makes u think so many things are wrong wit it than there really is. I mean i know they screwed with my car.... but how much i dont know. I know they messed around w/ my battery, fuses and jacked up my paint. I know they added miles to my car and i know im missing tools from my car. I also know that there were a bunch of "parts" laying around in my car and in my trunk. I dunno if its from my car or from cars they were working on and they accidently left it in my car... but bottom line.. i guess im just being paranoid.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:33 AM

lol, i always get that feeling after I work on my car.. LOL

yeah.. i think i am a bit paranoid. I just looked at some pictures online that i found. Its just ever since i got my car back it feels and seems like its not the same. You guys ever get that feeling that your cars been messed with and it just makes u think so many things are wrong wit it than there really is. I mean i know they screwed with my car.... but how much i dont know. I know they messed around w/ my battery, fuses and jacked up my paint. I know they added miles to my car and i know im missing tools from my car. I also know that there were a bunch of "parts" laying around in my car and in my trunk. I dunno if its from my car or from cars they were working on and they accidently left it in my car... but bottom line.. i guess im just being paranoid.