4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

O2 Recall - They said OK to my 1995 Max!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

O2 Recall - They said OK to my 1995 Max!!!

Just to add to the long debate over these Oxygen sensor Recall, my MIL came on and i read the codes. Rear 02 sensor, now my max has 140,000 miles, Yes 140,000 miles. And my thinking is that the sensors were probably never replaced before i got the car. I am home for a bit in NYC from upstate NY (school) so i decided to contact a couple of dealers in queens and long island since my local dealer (Serafini Nissan, Binghamton,NY) told me they never heard of any recall for my max, i wanted to try other dealers instead.

So I called 3 dealers, 1 in Brooklyn (King Nissan), 1 in queens (Star Nissan), and 1 in Long Island (Gregoris Nissan).

The results:

King's Nissan - 1st he said it was probably already done but I would have to bring the car down for them to check it out. Then i asked couldn't you just run the VIN. He says, yeah... I guess we could do that. WHAT...just didn't make sense to me at the time why they did not 1st ask for the VIN ???
After I gave him the VIN he said to call him back tomorrow for an answer, now why does it take a whole day to find out if there is a recall...

Star Nissan - they just told me straight out after i said i had a 1995 maxima that they recall only applied to 96 maxima's.

Gregoris Nissan - after i gave them my vin they said they would call me back within an hour and they did. they told me that YES IT WAS IN THE RECALL!!! So i scheduled an appointment for next week and they are going to change the O2 Sensors as well as other items. Cool - so i will let u guys know how i made out afeter its all done !!!
Old 06-13-2002, 06:54 AM

Update: So I take my nissan in to have the o2 recall done and they call me back about 2 hours later and tell me that my car is more then 5 years old so that there is nothing they can do for me. ??? WHAT IS GOING ON??? is what I ask them. If its for a recall on a 1995 Maxima then how do they go back and say since its over 5years old they cant do anything? When I called them last week I told them the year,make,& model, heck, I even gave them the VIN. They called me back and told me it was in the recall and I then made the appointment. Now when they call me back they told me i must have been speaking with a secretary who did not know what she was doing. Yeah right, you are going to have a secretary run a VIN, and then call me back an hour later to tell me the results. Yeah right. Well I am going over there now to see if i can talk with a manager and get some straight answers. THIS IS CRAZY. P.S. the dealership is Gregoris Nissan in Lynbrook,NY.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by bg18461
Update: So I take my nissan in to have the o2 recall done and they call me back about 2 hours later and tell me that my car is more then 5 years old so that there is nothing they can do for me. ??? WHAT IS GOING ON??? is what I ask them. If its for a recall on a 1995 Maxima then how do they go back and say since its over 5years old they cant do anything? When I called them last week I told them the year,make,& model, heck, I even gave them the VIN. They called me back and told me it was in the recall and I then made the appointment. Now when they call me back they told me i must have been speaking with a secretary who did not know what she was doing. Yeah right, you are going to have a secretary run a VIN, and then call me back an hour later to tell me the results. Yeah right. Well I am going over there now to see if i can talk with a manager and get some straight answers. THIS IS CRAZY. P.S. the dealership is Gregoris Nissan in Lynbrook,NY.
Nissan's central database will have the info on whether or not your car was included in the recall and if hte work was already performed (or not). Call 1-800-nissan-1 and give the custormer service person your VIN.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:36 PM

i called my local dealership and was declined.....does anyone eactly know WHY SOME of the 95's were included and some not?¿?¿?
Old 06-14-2002, 09:17 AM

UPDATE:
Well the Nissan Dealer (Gregoris) told me that its not really a recall, but they just extened the factory warranty. it initally was 36months/30,000 miles???, but nissan extended it to 60months/60,000miles or something like that. Now why did they tell me that my car was still affected by the recall though i gave them the year and vin on my car, I don't know. I called the 800 Nissan1 number and they also confirmed this as well. I guess some dealers really check and read the fineprint and others don't. Anyways, i am off to buyoxygensensors.com to buy my 02 sensor.

P.S. - anyone who has had the recall done, they replaced other items in addition to the 02 sensor, if you know what they are could you let me know and what do those parts do. Thanks
Old 06-14-2002, 05:52 PM

WOW!!! I wish I had known that before! I just replaced mine last summer!