4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

For those who drive their Max's pretty hard.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 08:52 AM

For those who drive their Max's pretty hard.

has anyone have this problem? when i drive my car hard and drive into a minor curves with a couple of rough bumps i feel like my car is slipping and very unstable i feel like my car will start skidding and going out of control.

anyone else have this problem? i get scared everytime it does this , it shouldn't feel like this , it should have more control. any input? thanksq
Old 06-09-2002, 09:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

first check ur tires to see if their bald, next if ur shocks are blown, specially in the rear it will do that, when my rears blew the a$$ would jump all over the road when turning cuz nothing was keepin them to the ground,
Old 06-09-2002, 10:21 AM

Struts/shocks may need to be replaced. What kind of mileage is on them?
Old 06-09-2002, 10:44 AM

Re: For those who drive their Max's pretty hard.

Originally posted by xsp00kyx
has anyone have this problem? when i drive my car hard and drive into a minor curves with a couple of rough bumps i feel like my car is slipping and very unstable i feel like my car will start skidding and going out of control.

anyone else have this problem? i get scared everytime it does this , it shouldn't feel like this , it should have more control. any input? thanksq
Fast cornering and bumpy roads are a combination not good for the max. I dont think the rear suspension setup is good for going fast on bad pavement. Just be sure to get some good tires that give you fair warning when they are going to lose control, as it happens all too quickly.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:36 AM

Re: Re: For those who drive their Max's pretty hard.

Originally posted by Iron Lung

Fast cornering and bumpy roads are a combination not good for the max. I dont think the rear suspension setup is good for going fast on bad pavement. Just be sure to get some good tires that give you fair warning when they are going to lose control, as it happens all too quickly.
sorry to be OT, just wonderin how much ur wheels were?
Old 06-09-2002, 11:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: For those who drive their Max's pretty hard.

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!

sorry to be OT, just wonderin how much ur wheels were?
I believe I paid 1100 for the rims and tires at tirerack.com. The tires were bridgestone potenzas.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

living in queens i know exactly what you mean.. i started noticing the problem in my max at about 30k.. now at 42k.. and a rsb + ftsb.. i still feel the problems when i'm speeding, turning a little and on a bumpy road.. but i think once i drop the car.. it might go away...
Old 06-09-2002, 06:14 PM

ya im all over the place 2....i think my tires are getting bald, and my suspension may be getting bad....55k miles
Old 06-09-2002, 06:32 PM

Hard cornering+ bumpy road+ 4th gen rear suspension= your problem

my 92 SE handled much smoother through bumps, due to the independent rear suspension.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:35 PM

Maybe you need some more mods than:

Power Driver & Passenger Seats
Black Leather
Black Interior, Sunroof
Rewired Clear Corners
Diamond Cut Bumper Lens
Polarg Hyper Whites
FSTB

Your FTSB by itself won't do much for cornering ability.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:35 PM

get a rear sway bar, that is the best suspension mod and it's one of the cheapest
Old 06-09-2002, 07:46 PM

if ur rear is jumpin around the only thing that will fix it is shocks, and springs will help, but shocks are more important, if shocks are bad, then u are riding on only springs and due to the back being light its gonna jump around unlike the front that has the whole weight of the engine keeping it at least somewhat down. rear maxima shocks dont rilly last as long as they should, if ur not up for lowering get gr2's or the best route of agx's on the rears or all the way around. when my rears blew it was a scary feeling, then the day i drove back with agx's in the back was amazing, nite and day, nothing minor and that was with them set on 3, my front agx's came yesterday so when i get those in im probably gonna raise the rears to 5 and rilly experience some nice handling.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
if ur rear is jumpin around the only thing that will fix it is shocks, and springs will help, but shocks are more important, if shocks are bad, then u are riding on only springs and due to the back being light its gonna jump around unlike the front that has the whole weight of the engine keeping it at least somewhat down. rear maxima shocks dont rilly last as long as they should, if ur not up for lowering get gr2's or the best route of agx's on the rears or all the way around. when my rears blew it was a scary feeling, then the day i drove back with agx's in the back was amazing, nite and day, nothing minor and that was with them set on 3, my front agx's came yesterday so when i get those in im probably gonna raise the rears to 5 and rilly experience some nice handling.
how do u know when your rear suspension gets blown? and what happens when you put your shocks stiff, or loose?
Old 06-09-2002, 09:30 PM
rmb

how do u know when your rear suspension gets blown? and what happens when you put your shocks stiff, or loose?

Just keep in mind that even with a set of good springs and AGX's if you stiffen the rear up too much it'll be very skittish in bumpy high speed sweepers. Esp. if you've got a RSB too, it's way too easy do induce lift-throttle oversteer for a front-drive car like this. (Esp in the rain/snow)

Soften the rear up if you've got AGX's and adjust the RSB rearwards a bit if you've got the Stillen RSB. Brings it right back to neutral handling. But you'll have to play around with the settings as your tire/wheel combo is different than mine...

-RMB
Old 06-09-2002, 11:32 PM

i was to lazy to read everthing, get strut bar I can sell you a nice one 50$. I put one on my I30 last week and wow, even my friends noticed the difference.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by maxstyle98

my 92 SE handled much smoother through bumps, due to the independent rear suspension.
Don't the gen 4 Maximas have independent rear suspension?
Old 06-10-2002, 06:18 AM

I felt the same thing for a while too, but if you just watch your car closely as it goes thru the bumps, you'll see it's OK.

There's this stretch on the Major Deegan, route 87 going south into NYC, by the Van Cortlandt park exit. It's a log sweeping curve, and its bumpy. I used to always be cautious taking that curve. STaying in the middle lane, slowing down etc.

What happens is that your maxima goes over a bump, the front bounces out a little, then the rear goes over the bump, and the rear bounces out even more. When the front bounces out, it's understeer, the rear, oversteer. So the rear bounce kindof corrects for the front bounce. Acutally, the rear over corrects for the front bounce.

Knowing that, you'll see that the car is acting kinda fun.

Now, when I take the long sweeping curve on the major deegan, I fly thru, and I go on the outside lane. Maybe the RSB helps, too. But Knowing my car realy helps me work that corner

Now you guys don't just go flying thru some hard turn one day. Do it gradually so you can really feel what the car is doing.

DW
Old 06-10-2002, 06:50 AM
I'm so hood

how do u know when your rear suspension gets blown?
From personal experience, you'll know when your shocks are gone in the rear. When I bought my car, the dealership was supposed to replace the rear shocks, but managed to install them so they were 100% ineffective. They were leaking quite badly, and driving the car was impossible. The car would bounce & waggle so much just going 35-40mph over bumps that it would move side-to-side a bit and almost break into a spin/out of control.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by speedemn

Don't the gen 4 Maximas have independent rear suspension?
No, the rear is solid. The 2 wheels are connected by a torsion beam. So it's one unit.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by i30dude
i was to lazy to read everthing, get strut bar I can sell you a nice one 50$. I put one on my I30 last week and wow, even my friends noticed the difference.
well does the maxima have independent rear suspension?
Old 06-11-2002, 01:07 PM
rmb

well does the maxima have independent rear suspension?
Don't you have a 99? Take a look.

The 95's and up do not. It's a solid beam design, although a pretty neat one.

-RMB
Old 06-11-2002, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by rmb

Soften the rear up if you've got AGX's and adjust the RSB rearwards a bit if you've got the Stillen RSB. Brings it right back to neutral handling. But you'll have to play around with the settings as your tire/wheel combo is different than mine...

-RMB
What do you have your rears set to? Mine are 4. Fronts are 2 except for when my wifey's gonna be riding with me. I'll set it to 1 for her which she finds really nice. Thank goodness for adjustables!
Old 06-11-2002, 05:24 PM
rmb

Originally posted by StygianMax

What do you have your rears set to? Mine are 4. Fronts are 2 except for when my wifey's gonna be riding with me. I'll set it to 1 for her which she finds really nice. Thank goodness for adjustables!
H&R sport springs. Front AGX's at 2, rears at 4. Stillen RSB starting right behind torsion beam. Stock 16" rims with 225/55/16 BFGoodrich KDW's. FSTB too. Totally neutral handing with this setup in rain/slippery conditions. Those are the best damn summer tires I've ever had.

If I dial the rears up to 8 and the fronts to 4, it will oversteer wildly in the slick stuff. You'd never really know in the dry, where it's just really really stiff and neutral.

-RMB
Old 06-11-2002, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by maxstyle98

OK. That's the difference then. I had no idea the 4th didn't have independent. I knew my 91 SE does, and couldn't quite pin down why I like it's handling so much better than my 98 GLE. I guess I'll be doing some mods to the 98 soon. I live in PA, and EVERY road is bumpy, so it gets annoying when your back end kicks out. Tires come this week (Dunlop SP Sport A2 all around), and I'm going to look into RSB and FTSB.

-Seth