4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Are there lowering spring combo that are not stiff

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Are there lowering spring combo that are not stiff

I have been researching for a while...and have come away with different combos...people loving the ride of their suspension...and others with the same setup..hate it. I was leaning towards Koni's..but so many people are saying that they are incredibly stiff. I have a GXE..and actually like the ride (bouncy). Money is kind of tight...but will spring extra dough if need be (always do for the max). So...lower/good cost combo? Thanx

Maxwolf
Old 06-10-2002, 06:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Are there lowering spring combo that are not stiff

Originally posted by MaxWolf
I have been researching for a while...and have come away with different combos...people loving the ride of their suspension...and others with the same setup..hate it. I was leaning towards Koni's..but so many people are saying that they are incredibly stiff. I have a GXE..and actually like the ride (bouncy). Money is kind of tight...but will spring extra dough if need be (always do for the max). So...lower/good cost combo? Thanx

Maxwolf
The softest aftermarket setup is H&R's or B&G's with KYB GR2 struts. I have H&R's with KYB AGX's and after letting everything "settle" I love it. I have a GLE which I believe has the same factoy suspension as yours.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:55 AM
Redlinemax Owner

Re: Re: Are there lowering spring combo that are not stiff

I was told yesterday that if you use konis you can adjust them to how hard or soft you want them.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:17 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I just installed B&G Springs on my AGX sturts. Took about 3 weeks for the stiffness to settle down. Now my car rides excellent. Nice even almost 2 inch drop too. (I've heard the drop isn't even with 5 speeds, I'm Auto) I have the AGX's set pretty soft. 1 up front and 2 in the rear. The only time you know your lower is when you hit larger dips in the road. Then it's tight. Other then that, crusing on the highway is smooth and bumps are absorbed with no problems. I recommend this spring/strut combo if you drive on descent roads.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Koni's are good...and ajustable...but I hear they still ride ruff...guess I am gonna not have a nice easy bouncy ride
Old 06-11-2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by MaxWolf
Koni's are good...and ajustable...but I hear they still ride ruff...guess I am gonna not have a nice easy bouncy ride
If your looking for a really nice ride and awsome handling, then use your stock springs and get the KYB AGX's. Your still going to have the infamous gap but that ride is awsome! I ran that setup on my SE for about a year. Everybody who drove my car on that setup always complimented me on it's ride.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

If your looking for a really nice ride and awsome handling, then use your stock springs and get the KYB AGX's. Your still going to have the infamous gap but that ride is awsome! I ran that setup on my SE for about a year. Everybody who drove my car on that setup always complimented me on it's ride.
Do you still get compliments with your current setup? Also have you switched to H&R's. I've got H&R's on their way and am trying to decide between the AGX and the GR-2.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:59 AM

Progress springs are great. They are a progressive rate coil so they can lower your car and keep the smooth ride. My KYB Gr2s go well with them. The ride is a little tighter than a stock SE, but alot lower. Also I think this combo cost me around $600 Canadian.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Miguel97GLE
Do you still get compliments with your current setup? Also have you switched to H&R's. I've got H&R's on their way and am trying to decide between the AGX and the GR-2.
Yes I do, for both looks and ride.
I'm running B&G + AGX - Smooth ride on descent roads. Feels like a BMW sport ride. No bounce, just a nice tight ride. Bumps are absorbed well also. This is a nice spring/strut combo!