4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Intake Connection Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 09:42 AM

Intake Connection Question

Sorry about the newbie question guys, but I couldn't seem to find a straight answer.

I just made the homemade hybrid intake and installed it with the stock airbox. The only reason I did that is because I can't figure out how to hook up the cone filter to the end. There are 4 bolts that go into the stock airbox, so do I need a cone filter that connects w/ four bolts? Do I need some sort of connector piece that fits between the two? The only cone filters I can find have the "screw-tightened fastener" on the end. Obviously they won't fit over the end of the MAF, so how do I connect them? Will the opening on the intake fit over the top?

Jeez, I know the answer is going to be so simple I'll slap myself, but I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2002, 09:50 AM

you can get the adapter from summit racing....I forget the part # though...sorry
Old 06-11-2002, 09:51 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....or+Mans+Intake

Do this, it works well and its free. I suggest you use some silicone to seal the adapter to the MAF though.

Apparently I have the opposite of your intake
Old 06-11-2002, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by AdMax98
you can get the adapter from summit racing....I forget the part # though...sorry
Found it....its: GRM-10-500

From what I remember, two of the bolt holes dont line up so you have to redrill them...the piece is $14.

Or you could do what 97GLE says
Old 06-11-2002, 10:56 AM

Thanks guys!

That brass ring was a real pain to get out, but it sounds GREAT!! I love it! I was doing it over my lunch break, and had to rush back, but I'm going to get some sealer tonite, since I did notice some small gaps.

So, do any of you happen to know what I do with the leftover connection? The one that hooks up to the stock airbox. I could take it off the stock air box and stick it inside the cone, but I'm not sure if that would work. Any suggestions?
Old 06-11-2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by maxima4me
Thanks guys!

That brass ring was a real pain to get out, but it sounds GREAT!! I love it! I was doing it over my lunch break, and had to rush back, but I'm going to get some sealer tonite, since I did notice some small gaps.

So, do any of you happen to know what I do with the leftover connection? The one that hooks up to the stock airbox. I could take it off the stock air box and stick it inside the cone, but I'm not sure if that would work. Any suggestions?
What leftover connection are you talking about? Be a little more descript.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:19 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by AdMax98

we have them for 29 shipped, billet aluminum with threaded holes. email or pm me if interested.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by 97GLE

What leftover connection are you talking about? Be a little more descript.

Sorry, I was in a hurry.

There are two wiring harnesses. One connects to the factory air box (w/ the panel filter inside) The other clips into a connector on the MAFS.

When you remove the stock air box you remove one end of the connection. I looked inside the top half of the air box and saw there was a sensor on the inside. I was thinking that I could possibly remove the sensor (which is wired to one end of the connection) and place it inside the new cone filter, run the wires out and clip them back together.

Does that make sense? I hope so. It sounds a lot more confusing than it is. Wish I had a digital camera.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:38 PM

I wish you had a digi-cam too.

This must be a 95-96 thing, because I have no such sensor. Your saying its in the top half of the air box?

Thats weird. Maybe someone else can help you out.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by 97GLE
I wish you had a digi-cam too.

This must be a 95-96 thing, because I have no such sensor. Your saying its in the top half of the air box?

Thats weird. Maybe someone else can help you out.

Yeah, there are two wires leading out of the top half of the air box to a "press, jiggle, and pull" connector. On the inside of the box, connected to the two wires is a little sensor. Must be a 95-96 thing....unless it's one of those Nissan 1 in a million things. Highly unlikely though, it's probably pretty common.

My gut is telling me to get the frankencar piping. Seeing as how this is feeding my engine, maybe I'll stay out of it.

55 bucks for everything I need sounds like a great deal....assuming still that the only thing I need is a filter.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:55 PM

Yeah, there are two wires leading out of the top half of the air box to a "press, jiggle, and pull" connector. On the inside of the box, connected to the two wires is a little sensor. Must be a 95-96 thing....unless it's one of those Nissan 1 in a million things. Highly unlikely though, it's probably pretty common.

My gut is telling me to get the frankencar piping. Seeing as how this is feeding my engine, maybe I'll stay out of it.

55 bucks for everything I need sounds like a great deal....assuming still that the only thing I need is a filter.
Well I don't know the Frankencar is gonna solve that sensor for you. Need someone who has a 95-96 to post.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:45 PM

I have a 95 and am pretty sure you are talking about the intake temp sensor. Does it look like a little resistor? If you leave it unplugged it should throw a CEL. For a quick fix, you could just wire tire it close to the filter. For a better fix, you could drill a hole in the top of the filter and mount it there. Thats assuming your filter has a chrome top. Hope that helps.
Daniel
Old 06-11-2002, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Danielsan
I have a 95 and am pretty sure you are talking about the intake temp sensor. Does it look like a little resistor?
BINGO!! I was a little worried there. It looks like a resistor. I will probably opt for the inside install, since this will be on for the life of the car. The only thing that still worries me is the connection between the filter and MAFS. It looks a little shady. I guess I could go buy some silicone and put some between the brass bracket and the MAFS. Hope that'll do the trick.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:35 PM

BINGO!! I was a little worried there. It looks like a resistor. I will probably opt for the inside install, since this will be on for the life of the car. The only thing that still worries me is the connection between the filter and MAFS. It looks a little shady. I guess I could go buy some silicone and put some between the brass bracket and the MAFS. Hope that'll do the trick.

Thanks.
Just open up your cone filter, stick it inside, and tighten the assembly over it. Perfect fix, and close to stock.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:15 PM

Glad to see there is a solution.

I bought some washers to fill the gap between the nuts on the lip of that brass peice and the MAFS. I used two thin washers that filled it completely. This way you can really tighten those bolts down. You just don't want them to be too thick, if anything, too small.

Then I ran a ring of gasket maker around the brass peice. After that I put the pieces together, and ran silicone on the seem all around.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...044_3_full.jpg

Pic is kinda dark, but you get the idea.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:19 PM

psst...no title 3 words or less...
Old 06-11-2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Yellowbrother
psst...no title 3 words or less...

Ah yes, I forgot....I was under the impression it was less than 3 words. I'm surprised I didn't get shut down. Now that I think abou it, that is pretty non-descript. Lo Ciento.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been helping. I worked on it this afternoon again, and it seems fine, but there are still some more tweaks I need to do.
Thanks again.