4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Vibration around 60-70 mph- help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 10:44 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

one of the service bulletins says something about the car pulling, i'd like to check that out.....
Well, I thought I was the only one complaining the most about this problem and it appears that I am not. I am thoroughly convinced that this is an inherent problem with Maximas. In fact, I recently decided to get the tires balanced using a Hunter Road Force machine. Right off the bat, the manager told me not to expect the shimmy to go completely away since he knew for a fact that Maximas were prone to vibration. However, after getting the tires balanced with the Hunter machine, the ride improved greatly. The shimmy is still there at high speeds (70+) but it's a lot more tolerable.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:21 AM

Re: Same Problem

Originally posted by mbnickel
I have the same problem, both w/ my Neeper Flys (w/ brand new Kumho's), and w/ my stock wheels (w/ brand new BF Goodrich's). It's really freakin' annoying, and after having an alignment done, brand new tires and balancing, it won't go away. The guy at the tire shop told me that I need to invest in "Hub Rings" to make the 17" Neepers that I have "Hub-centric" as opposed to "Lug-centric". But I've got the same problem w/ my stock SE rims.

What gives?
I have exact same problem, tried same fixes, did not work. 64K miles.
What gives??
Old 02-20-2003, 10:30 AM

vibration!!!

A friend with a 96gxe had that probleme. And his wife fixed it!!! She slid of a street corner and damaged the suspension components on the L/H side. They replaced the lower arm, axle, wheel berings,and opened the transmission. The transmission shop was said to cause vibration? because of bad shiming of components (they passed it on the insurance also). They also replaced a few bushings. Now it's smoth as butter. The only bad news is that my car vibrates also. What fixed the vibration ???? I dont have that much time$$ and patience$$$ and luck$$$ to have it done by my self instead of my insurance compagnie.

I'll be starting to work on this probleme this summer. I know then wheel balancing, new tires are a temporary fix because after the car causes the tires to wear un-evenly again it will come back.

Done :Brakes fwd/aft, rotors fwd/aft, tires,rims,struts,springs, on car wheel balancing, on car rotor lathe(rotors),...
Old 02-20-2003, 02:10 PM

Re: vibration!!!

Originally posted by MarcGXE95
A friend with a 96gxe had that probleme. And his wife fixed it!!! She slid of a street corner and damaged the suspension components on the L/H side. They replaced the lower arm, axle, wheel berings,and opened the transmission. The transmission shop was said to cause vibration? because of bad shiming of components (they passed it on the insurance also). They also replaced a few bushings. Now it's smoth as butter. The only bad news is that my car vibrates also. What fixed the vibration ???? I dont have that much time$$ and patience$$$ and luck$$$ to have it done by my self instead of my insurance compagnie.

I'll be starting to work on this probleme this summer. I know then wheel balancing, new tires are a temporary fix because after the car causes the tires to wear un-evenly again it will come back.

Done :Brakes fwd/aft, rotors fwd/aft, tires,rims,struts,springs, on car wheel balancing, on car rotor lathe(rotors),...
Please forward address of corner so we can fix ours too.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by cmcknite
I've been hunting this problem for a year now.

I have managed to get rid of some of it. I just had both of my front axles replaced. It made a big difference. But it still shakes.

I'm not an expert by any means but, I have been reading various posts around the internet and I have gotten suggestions that lead me to want to have my rack and pionion checked out.

Can it be adjusted???

Other than that I have done everything. Hunter Wheel Balances, Alignments, different wheels, new rotors and pads, X-rotations and star torqueing.

I don't know what to do!
I went through a rainstorm last week, and noticed the shaking stopped when the road and car were soaked. It felt nice and smooth-like it is supposed to. Not sure why. But maybe brakes or tires were not grabbing and causing shake?

Also, there is a TSB on steering rack sliding force (NTB98-081). If too tight, car will pull to one side.
If too loose, I wonder if car will shimmy???
Old 11-17-2003, 09:18 PM
Handsome

Originally Posted by Albertt
There has been a discussion going on about this...
BUMP

Did anyone figure out their problem??
Old 11-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Street Reeper
BUMP

Did anyone figure out their problem??

I've heard that all/most nissans have a problem with alignment. I don't know why or how, but everyone that i know that has owned a nissan (99,00,02, 04 maxima, 99 sentra, 95 sentra, 93 sentra, 00 altima, 93 pathfinder, [2] 02 xterras, [2] pickup trucks) has had the car aligned when they bought it, and no matter what, there is still a slight pull.

Also, i noticed that the car handles completely different in the rain. It actually seems to ride worse (bumpier, less traction [duh], more uncomfortable ride), rather than smoother like someone else posted.

As far as the TSB is concerned, i'll have it checked out on my car, maybe that copuld be the miracle cure....thanks gohan...
Old 11-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Handsome

Originally Posted by fearthegecko
I've heard that all/most nissans have a problem with alignment. I don't know why or how, but everyone that i know that has owned a nissan (99,00,02, 04 maxima, 99 sentra, 95 sentra, 93 sentra, 00 altima, 93 pathfinder, [2] 02 xterras, [2] pickup trucks) has had the car aligned when they bought it, and no matter what, there is still a slight pull.

Also, i noticed that the car handles completely different in the rain. It actually seems to ride worse (bumpier, less traction [duh], more uncomfortable ride), rather than smoother like someone else posted.

As far as the TSB is concerned, i'll have it checked out on my car, maybe that copuld be the miracle cure....thanks gohan...
My alignment came out very close to perfect and the car tracks very well. I have this problem with very slight vibration in the wheel. This occurs despite alignment, wheel rotation, and wheel ballancing. I did get a great improvment when switching to new tires, but the problem, although faint is still there.

As some of you may have seen in a thread I started I have a clunking noise at 10mph while under normal braking, not on turns, and not over bumps. I am beggining to think that the two may be related. I will check the lower control arm bushings as that could be a cause for both.

feather keep me updated on what you turn up in the TSB (I can't find the link?)
Old 11-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow, just found this post. Anyone have positive results yet? I've had the prob since i"ve had the car 65K-120K miles. Two sets of tires, 1998, and I've had the alignment, balancing. It seems like there is a lope or wobble even at low speeds (10mph-20) so maybe it is a bad rim. It should be difficult to bend one of these rims, but then there are others with new rims that have the same prob.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:35 PM

a rim could be bent
Old 11-28-2003, 05:08 PM
DoGGy

i got same problem, anyone found a solution yet?