4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear Sway Bar Function

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 11:33 PM

Rear Sway Bar Function

I had the Addco RSB put in last week and I wondered how it changes the rear suspension of the max. It just bolts right on to the existing bar(axel). I had always thought the rear suspension in the max for each tire was independent form each other but both tires are attached to the same bar. I guess it must reinforce what is already there Well anyway, the RSB together with the FSTB make a huge difference. My car almost feels as nimble as my previous car: Infinity G20. Almost no flex and body roll. Now with the Maxspeeds coming in the mail, I'm gonna love blasting around corners.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:17 AM

dont forget shocks, or else u will blow your stock shocks
Old 06-12-2002, 06:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The ADDCO helps the existing stock RSB. If you're taking a hard right turn, without the RSB, the left rear suspension gets all loaded up and the right rear suspension gets unloaded. B/C of it being un-loaded, the right rear tends to push up a little more, causing your car to roll even more in the turn. That's what gives you that icky feeling. With the RSB in the same turn, when the left rear suspension gets loaded up as before, but now the RSB twists and tranfers that force to the right rear, causing the right rear to compress down instead of push up. Result? Both rear tires feel better planted in the turn than before. You feel more confident and blast thru

DW
Old 06-12-2002, 06:57 AM

Because Stillen's mounts to the trailing arms and not the rear beam, you can adjust it past the rear beam. Is this better then, just having it attached to the rear beam?

I have the stillen and originally had it right under the rear beam, then I adjusted it just behind the rear beam, and my rear end felt more planted. Can the addco be adjusted like that?
Old 06-12-2002, 07:20 AM

You can't move the bar, but you can vary the mount point on the trailing arms. By making the mount point shorter, the RSB gets stiffer, and vice versa. Or maybe the other way around, not sure. This is sort of like the Stillen RSB. On the Stillen, you adjust the mount point on the trailing arms and the whole bar moves. On the ADDCO, the bar does not move, but the pivot point changes, and therefore the RSB effect changes. It's like holding a 5 pound bag of sugar. When you hold it next to you, it doesn't weigh you down, hold it at length with your arms outstretched, it becomes quite a burden.

DW

Originally posted by breaux124
Because Stillen's mounts to the trailing arms and not the rear beam, you can adjust it past the rear beam. Is this better then, just having it attached to the rear beam?

I have the stillen and originally had it right under the rear beam, then I adjusted it just behind the rear beam, and my rear end felt more planted. Can the addco be adjusted like that?
Old 06-12-2002, 11:06 AM

So which RSB is better, Addco or Stillen? The RSB and FSTB are my next mods...gotta start somewhere. They seem like they're not too difficult to install, uhm, right? And can anyone reccommend a good FSTB? I've seen some cheap ones (~$20) on eBay, but not sure about those. Thanks.