4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

please help me upgrade my gle suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 01:00 PM

please help me upgrade my gle suspension!

my '98 gle stock suspension is smooth on smooth roads, but feels HORRIBLE on bumpy roads and real tight turns. i've noticed the ride improves when the car is full of people or groceries ...the car bounces less and has less weight transfer. anyway, i noticed that my sister's '97 accord's suspension (please don't flame me for saying this) is much more controlled and keeps the car flat - except in very tight turns which causes a lot of body roll. i'm wondering if this better control is because the accord has stiffer shocks than my gle. i already have an rsb which helps a lot, but also want the same "control" over bumps and less weight transfer during accel/braking that my sis' accord has. basically, i am wondering if you people out there who really know your stuff think that just upgrading the shocks to agx's would give me that cushiony feeling inbetween a stiff ride, and the sloppy ride i get from my too soft suspension. whew, thanks!
Old 06-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: please help me upgrade my gle suspension!

Originally posted by ne max
basically, i am wondering if you people out there who really know your stuff think that just upgrading the shocks to agx's would give me that cushiony feeling inbetween a stiff ride, and the sloppy ride i get from my too soft suspension. whew, thanks!
Yes, definately!
Old 06-12-2002, 07:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Some may disagree but a FSTB is a good compliment to the RSB. When I installed mine in my 95 GLE I noticed less body roll in the front and much better straightline stability along with more positive steering feel. If you were to do the AGX's at the same time I doubt you would recognize the car. Of course, new springs would REALLY make a big difference but there is a (small) price to pay in the ride quality department even with H&R's or B&G's which are the softest available.

Point is that the FSTB is the least expensive suspension mod that you can feel. Again, some may disagree but I sure felt mine.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:09 PM

yeah maybe the least expensiive but a rsb is much more important
Old 06-13-2002, 10:54 AM

i also have a fstb, it was actually my first mod. it helped a little and the rsb more so, but i still feel like the car gets "bent out of shape" and unsteady on fast curves and coming out of fast curves, instead of staying relatively flat. i feel like i have to be really careful with the wheel and gas/braking, otherwise it wants to wander and shift its weight all over the place at high speeds. the suspension also feels and sounds harsh as if the wheels are slapping against the road, over bumpy roads <30 mph, and the body sometimes bounces annoyingly - almost as if i'm traveling more vertically than horizontally . overall, my max sometimes feels as if it were a boat on unsteady water. h&r's are out of the question because my parents and sisters would probably bang into curbs while parking, and i have to drive in a lot of snow sometimes. i'm just hoping that getting the agx's will solve the problem and actually be worth dropping several hundreds dollars on them.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

AGX's would really help alot. Keep in mind though that the biggest problem in the Max's handling is chassis flex and the struts don't address this. In some cases the chassis will flex more with stiffer suspension components. The only product available (besides strut tower braces) which acually stiffens the chassis and not just the suspension are subframe connectors. Warpspeed Performance makes them for the 4th gen and they are very reasonably priced. You should check out their website.

Here is one thread out of MANY which talks about the SFC.http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ame+connectors