4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Crazy water spots

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 09:47 PM

Crazy water spots

I have some crazy water spots on my windows. I have tried windex and other glass cleaners and it wont come of. I bought the car used and it was like that when i got it. I think it might be from acid rain. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2002, 05:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It may be acid rain or from not drying the windows after washing.
I have the same problem with my max, watermarks on the windows from the last owner. Believe it or not rubbing compound can take them out.
I have used 3-M compound and water to take some out. It is work and it takes time but they can come out. If I find the car care site that suggests that I will post it. There are other products you can use.
http://www.carcareonline.com/products_frame.html

Also, the ammonia in Windex is not suggested for auto glass. A better choice would be vinegar and water something around a 50/50 solution
works.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:45 PM
I'm so hood

Believe it or not rubbing compound can take them out.
Heh, I was wary when someone told me that...it was the guy that bought my integra. He was using the buffer at a detail place he worked at, and after he did the car, he went over the wheels (old stock wheels with the "fog" effect) and the front windshield with some success.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:10 AM

make sure u dont use certain rubbing compounds on ur car's paint, especially ones that dont specify clear coat safe, i have a 2in.X2in. spot on my car where the rubbing compound took my clear coat clean off...please dont flame me i know it was a stupid thing to have done, but it was a mistake on my part and i wanna make sure none of u do it too
Old 06-15-2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by kmax
It may be acid rain or from not drying the windows after washing.
I have the same problem with my max, watermarks on the windows from the last owner. Believe it or not rubbing compound can take them out.
I have used 3-M compound and water to take some out. It is work and it takes time but they can come out. If I find the car care site that suggests that I will post it. There are other products you can use.
http://www.carcareonline.com/products_frame.html

Also, the ammonia in Windex is not suggested for auto glass. A better choice would be vinegar and water something around a 50/50 solution
works.
Thank you is that vinegar and water solution bad for the paint if it drips on?
Old 06-15-2002, 07:05 PM

I doubt it but I can't say I've intentionally put vinegar on my paint
either. You can always test a product underneath the rocker panels.
These are located on the sides below the doors.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:38 PM

Re: Crazy water spots

My apartment complex has its own water supply (well) and I believe the water used in the sprinklers are not treated with softeners

So when the sprinklers hit my car, I get them too and they're a pain to take off but they do come off. I'm contemplating using CLR on the windows next time.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:51 AM

Re: Crazy water spots

Originally posted by magnum658
I have some crazy water spots on my windows. I have tried windex and other glass cleaners and it wont come of. I bought the car used and it was like that when i got it. I think it might be from acid rain. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I had the same problem with my '97 SE. Tried everything I could think of, except rubbing compound (shoulda tried it). Got some stuff from a local glass company specially made for water spots, tree sap, etc... It's "Duragloss 755 Nu-Glass". The guy tried a little on my driver's mirror, and it was amazing. Needless to say, I paid the $12.75 and did all of my windows. They are 100% water spot free! After I used it, I Rain-X'd them all really good to prevent them from coming back. A year later, they are still crystal clear. The Nu-Glass comes in an 8 oz bottle and is used like a polish. A little goes a long way. I still have atleast 3/4's of the bottle left for future use. Hope this helps as I hate seeing sweet cars with water spots on the glass. Now if I could just find a good way to get the water spots and swirl marks off my paint!
Old 06-16-2002, 12:52 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

I have some water spots on my paint and I have tried everything to get them off but some of them are really hard to get off. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2002, 05:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iilac
[B]I have some water spots on my paint and I have tried everything to get them off but some of them are really hard to get off. Do you guys have any suggestions?

If it were me I'd try 3-M's Imperial Hand Glaze first. If that didn't work I'd try either Meguiars or Mothers Phase one cleaners. Last if all else fails then it would be a 3-M Rubbing Compound. I would use these because I already have them.

If you need to buy something check the FAQ section here.

http://www.mothers.com/carcare/faq/faq.html

I pasted the answer from Mothers:
WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT WATER SPOTS ON THE PAINT?
Simple - get them off as soon as possible. Carry MOTHERS® SHOWTIME® Instant Detailer and a clean terry cloth towel in the trunk. Attack those water spots before the sun has a chance to evaporate them, and they'll come right off. SHOWTIME® also works great on gas spills when refueling.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:27 PM

Re: Re: Crazy water spots

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

I had the same problem with my '97 SE. Tried everything I could think of, except rubbing compound (shoulda tried it). Got some stuff from a local glass company specially made for water spots, tree sap, etc... It's "Duragloss 755 Nu-Glass". The guy tried a little on my driver's mirror, and it was amazing. Needless to say, I paid the $12.75 and did all of my windows. They are 100% water spot free! After I used it, I Rain-X'd them all really good to prevent them from coming back. A year later, they are still crystal clear. The Nu-Glass comes in an 8 oz bottle and is used like a polish. A little goes a long way. I still have atleast 3/4's of the bottle left for future use. Hope this helps as I hate seeing sweet cars with water spots on the glass. Now if I could just find a good way to get the water spots and swirl marks off my paint!
Where can i find that nu glass stuff?
Old 06-17-2002, 07:04 PM

steel wool

I know.. not brillo pads, but 000 steel wool, like the kind you use for fine wood finishing. I detailed cars for 6 years, and steel wool is the BEST way to remove water spots, bug, and other crap from your glass. You can use it inside too, as long as you don't have film tint on the windows.

BTW... use the steel wool on a window that is wet with your glass cleaner. I've never used it dry, so don't know what it might do.

-Seth
Old 06-17-2002, 09:14 PM

Re: steel wool

I'd be a bit careful with the steel wool though. I once got steel wool (it was the finest I could buy but it could have been coarser than the one you're suggesting) to try take some paint of a window (junk yard, the love to write stuff on windows) and it created fine scratches
Old 06-18-2002, 03:54 PM

That's why I suggest 000 grade. You can go with 0000, but you'll be rubbing forever to get the spots out. Also, only use it when it's fresh. Some guys use their steel wool for a long time, and have this ugly, rusty, messy glop to clean the windows. I think that when it gets lumpy you might increase the chance of scratching.

I do not suggest going crazy with the steel wool though. On Mohs scale of hardness, glass is ranked from 5.5-6.0. Steel is ranked from 5.5-6.0 also. Just go easy, and you'll have no problems. I've been doing this for over 6 years now, and have had no problems.

-Seth
Old 06-19-2002, 09:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Crazy water spots

Originally posted by magnum658

Where can i find that nu glass stuff?
Only place I've been able to find it is at my local glass shop. May be somewhere on the net, too.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Pseudopods
That's why I suggest 000 grade. You can go with 0000, but you'll be rubbing forever to get the spots out. Also, only use it when it's fresh. Some guys use their steel wool for a long time, and have this ugly, rusty, messy glop to clean the windows. I think that when it gets lumpy you might increase the chance of scratching.

I do not suggest going crazy with the steel wool though. On Mohs scale of hardness, glass is ranked from 5.5-6.0. Steel is ranked from 5.5-6.0 also. Just go easy, and you'll have no problems. I've been doing this for over 6 years now, and have had no problems.

-Seth
Thanks to Psuedopods for the steel wool idea. I tried it today and it works. After awhile I added rubbing compound and water to the steel wool and that worked even better. I didn't see any damage to the glass. If someone else wants to try this I suggest testing first but it works for me.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:59 PM

I'm glad it worked for you. Just be sure to keep the glass wet, and you'll reduce any chances of scratching. Combining the compound with the steel wool is a good idea. I may try that some time.

Now that your windows are spotless, you can apply a coat of wax to them (I don't suggest the windshield), and that will help keep them that way.

-Seth
Old 06-23-2002, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Pseudopods
I'm glad it worked for you. Just be sure to keep the glass wet, and you'll reduce any chances of scratching. Combining the compound with the steel wool is a good idea. I may try that some time.

Now that your windows are spotless, you can apply a coat of wax to them (I don't suggest the windshield), and that will help keep them that way.

-Seth
Very good idea about the steel wool/rubbing compound. Wish I'd thought of it! Cheaper than buying a product only for the windows. After I got mine spotless, I Rain X'd them real good and that keeps all the spots away. Good on the windshield, too. Wax can work on the windshield if you buff it off real good. But I've heard it will cause the wiper blades to dry out necessitating more frequent replacement.

Dave
Old 06-24-2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

I Rain X'd them real good and that keeps all the spots away. Good on the windshield, too.
Dave
I've used Rain-X in the past, but didn't like the haze I got when driving at night, especially with a light mist. It's great at first, but when it's almost time to re-apply, it starts getting funny. Just my opinion, but I use nothing on the windshield. I even try to avoid wash/wax getting on it, because of the haziness. If your windshield does have wax or something that causes a haze, just try some RM-901 (pre-paint solvent) on a rag, and it'll get it off there real nice. Or, you could just drive real close to a cinder (sp??) truck and hope one cracks you good on the windshield. Nothing like a nice, clean, clear, new windshield!

-Seth
Old 06-24-2002, 05:35 PM

I forgot to mention above that I think only a little water should be used with the steel wool and compound. Too much water and the compound becomes too thin to work with.