4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Finally decided on suspension - need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 12:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Finally decided on suspension - need advice please

Please advice me on whether I am on the right track here. My focus is #1 on performance... looks doesn't really matter. I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE 5-spd bone stock as of now.

For struts I decided to go with the KYB AGX, after really pulling my hair out between those and the Koni yellows. The general consensus seems to indicate that performance-wise the KGB AGX is the same, if not better than the Konis. Is that a good estimation?

For springs, I decided on the Eibach Pro kit. Is there anything better than that for performance reasons?

For RSB, I am still open to suggestions for the thickest one... the only one I have in mind is Addco. Are there any others?

For FSTB are they all pretty much the same thickness or are some thicker than others. Please suggest some brandnames.

Is it worth my while to get a RSTB? Is there any such thing as a front swaybar that I can upgrade too?

For any of the above parts, does the Stillen application seem to be the best performing?

Thanks for all your help. I hope to get all the parts as soon as I get some feedback. I will be doing the install myself. Would the Hayes/Chilton manual be sufficient or should I try to get my hands on a set of factory manuals?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:20 AM

kybs - good choice

eibach - good ride, but might leave you wanting a lower drop, i got maxspeeds, ride is stiffer than stock......I like them.

RSB - addco is pretty much what everyone has...it does the job well. Stillen makes a little thicker one adn is also adjustable but you will pay a premium.

FSTB - I just got one off ebay, they are all the same to me.

RSTB - i dont have one, but the general consensus it that they are usless for the amount they cost. Try a search on that.

FSB - We already have a front sway bar

I got the Hayes manual and it totally owns chilton.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
FSB - We already have a front sway bar
Any possibility of upgrading to a thicker FSB?
Old 06-14-2002, 12:31 AM
MAX

If you're going all-out, why not get the sub-frame connectors from WSP?
Old 06-14-2002, 12:41 AM

AGXs - The Konis may perform better, but the rear have to be removed to be adjusted. They also require modification which the AGXs don't. AGXs should be very close to Konis though, so I don't believe there is a big difference. Tokico came out with adjustable Illuminas for our cars, but no one has them yet so we can't compare to AGXs.

Eibachs - The only way to go for performance. If looks aren't a factor these are the ticket.

RSB - Addco works fine, but if you really want to be able to adjust things get the Stillen. The only thing I can think of offhand that's negative about the Stillen is that the nuts/bolts rust which makes it quite a bit harder to adjust There is a point where you can move the RSB too far out and make the car less safe handling wise. You won't get the snap oversteer of a RWD car, but there are limits to everything.

FSTB - Unless you want looks get a generic/Courtesy bar.

RSTB - I just installed one tonight, but I haven't really gotten to drive the car to give my opinion. It is usually the last thing on people's list, but I think it may do something at the car's limits. I got mine for autocrossing, and it's relatively cheap. I had to modify my RSTB to get it to fit so keep that in mind as well.

FSB - We already have a front sway bar, but you can upgrade the endlink and center bushings with Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings.

The Hayes manual will take you through basic things, but I just bought a FSM because I find I need it more often than I originally though.

Subframe connectors are supposed to be very good, and they aren't too expensive either.
If you plan on doing any autocrossing make sure you read the rules to see what you can and can't do (i.e. be wary of SFCs because they will bump you way up).
-hype
Old 06-14-2002, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
AGXs - The Konis may perform better, but the rear have to be removed to be adjusted. They also require modification which the AGXs don't. AGXs should be very close to Konis though, so I don't believe there is a big difference. Tokico came out with adjustable Illuminas for our cars, but no one has them yet so we can't compare to AGXs.

Eibachs - The only way to go for performance. If looks aren't a factor these are the ticket.

RSB - Addco works fine, but if you really want to be able to adjust things get the Stillen. The only thing I can think of offhand that's negative about the Stillen is that the nuts/bolts rust which makes it quite a bit harder to adjust There is a point where you can move the RSB too far out and make the car less safe handling wise. You won't get the snap oversteer of a RWD car, but there are limits to everything.

FSTB - Unless you want looks get a generic/Courtesy bar.

RSTB - I just installed one tonight, but I haven't really gotten to drive the car to give my opinion. It is usually the last thing on people's list, but I think it may do something at the car's limits. I got mine for autocrossing, and it's relatively cheap. I had to modify my RSTB to get it to fit so keep that in mind as well.

FSB - We already have a front sway bar, but you can upgrade the endlink and center bushings with Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings.

The Hayes manual will take you through basic things, but I just bought a FSM because I find I need it more often than I originally though.

Subframe connectors are supposed to be very good, and they aren't too expensive either.
If you plan on doing any autocrossing make sure you read the rules to see what you can and can't do (i.e. be wary of SFCs because they will bump you way up).
-hype
check out the fsb from obx racing i have it and it looks nicer and thicker than the stillen one. price is about $75 on e-bay.

agx is the way to go for shocks.

as for springs i went with apex it drops the car a little lower than eibachs with same performance.

the rsb, i went with addco. it does the job and i saved money.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:46 AM

Yes if you looking for performance, I would highly recommend you look into the sub frame connnectors from WSP. I plan to get them in the future.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by 97GLES
as for springs i went with apex it drops the car a little lower than eibachs with same performance.
Really? I didn't think Apex could even compare with Eibach, for performance.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by speedemn

Really? I didn't think Apex could even compare with Eibach, for performance.
I don't believe they do either It's good to ask opinions here, but most people will recommend what they have. Search to see if someone switched from Eibachs for performance reasons (I don't believe you'll find one). Most people change springs for the drop or for the ride. Are you planning on doing everything at once or gradually? If you plan on gradual upgrades just start with what you can afford and work your way up
-hype
Old 06-14-2002, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by xHypex

I don't believe they do either It's good to ask opinions here, but most people will recommend what they have. Search to see if someone switched from Eibachs for performance reasons (I don't believe you'll find one). Most people change springs for the drop or for the ride. Are you planning on doing everything at once or gradually? If you plan on gradual upgrades just start with what you can afford and work your way up
-hype
I will be doing the upgrades, all at once. I have decided on the Ribach Pro kit for springs.

For struts I'm 90% on KYB AGX, however if there is any possibility that the Koni performs better, I don't mind the hassle of its user-unfriendliness... I'll get it. Then there's the new Tokico Illuminas to consider too. I'm sort of in a bind here.

I will look to get the Stillen RSB.

For FSTB, I found one that is supposedly 45mm thick. That sounds good to me. I'm not sure if it is the OBX or not, but it is not round. The bar looks sort of flat... rectangular shaped with 6 holes along the rod itself. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I will definetly check out the subframe connectors... but that's for later.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:38 AM

Go with AGX - No question. Koni's aren't worth the hassle.

Springs - Your choice

FSTB - I've had both the stillen and courtesy and I've seen the cheap ones on Ebay. I'd recommend something like courtesy, it actually fit better then my stillen and does the same. The cheap FSTB's that are flat, you have to becareful they might not be as strong.

RSB - I have the stillen, but I got it used for a good deal. Keep your eyes open on the for sale forum. I like it, and I've adjusted it a few times. (make sure to use Anti-seize on the bolts and spacers if you do get it)

SFC - I'm pretty sure they need to be welded, just something to consider. Not really a DIY install, unless you have welder friends like me

Haynes over chilton, but FSM if you really work on your car. I got one off ebay a while back for $35.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:15 PM

Good move for AGX's definately what I'm gonna go for next.

For the Eibachs I suggest that you look into a the 2nd Generation Eibachs that were manufactured 1998 or later. They have a lower drop then the first Gen Eibachs, which are the ones I have.

Addco RSB is a good choice to, the install was very easy relativley cheap to, I think Cattman has it for $129.

I'd reccomend the RSTB cuz I think it will complete the setup. I didn't think it would make a big difference, but when I put it on after I did all the other mods, it stablized the rear a lot.

Kevin