4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alarm Installed-Car Vibrates

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 09:27 PM

Alarm Installed-Car Vibrates

I had my alarm put in a while ago, since the time I drove from the install place my car has been shaking everytime I'm at the red light or parked and the car is running (never shakes when driving only when standing)-when I first stop,after about 5 seconds my idle will drop to 500 rmps, car will shake, and go back up again. I had battery backup put in also. Day after the installation my check engine ligth came on with 0701 multiple cylinder misfire. Is this coisidance or could the alarm be doing something with the electricity,maybe it's throtle positioning sensor??. PLEASE HELP!
Old 06-14-2002, 09:29 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Alarm Installed-Car Vibrates

Originally posted by EuroPhreak
I had my alarm put in a while ago, since the time I drove from the install place my car has been shaking everytime I'm at the red light or parked and the car is running (never shakes when driving only when standing)-when I first stop,after about 5 seconds my idle will drop to 500 rmps, car will shake, and go back up again. I had battery backup put in also. Day after the installation my check engine ligth came on with 0701 multiple cylinder misfire. Is this coisidance or could the alarm be doing something with the electricity,maybe it's throtle positioning sensor??. PLEASE HELP!
The wires that the alarm needs SHOULDN'T cause this. If you cleared the code and it hasn't come back... try setting the idle up a little.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:40 AM

Re: Re: Alarm Installed-Car Vibrates

Just in case: my car is 1998 GLE maxima.

The check engine light came on for a day then the next day I started the car it didn't come on. So I don't know what's going on.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Alarm Installed-Car Vibrates

Damn. I'm getting the same symptoms exactly. Have a 5 spd manual so whenever I'm rolling to a stop the rpm goes down and at times the engine stalls. WTF? I just installed the MEVI with rpm switch (off coil #1) and it all was working fine until today. I thought that I would clear the ECU so that the new data would reflect the install of the MEVI. Well as soon as I did that, the car starts noticeably to idle rough. Throttle response is erratic. The car sputters and stalls on occasion when out of gear. At first, no ECU codes but after a 20 minute drive, 0701 Multiple misfires, appears (with no CEL). I clear the thing and re-examine my install. Re-examined the coil splice for the RPM switch. Reexamined all the sensors I plugged back in. Checked for vacuum leaks. Checked my harness ground. It all looks good. I just don't get it....
Old 06-26-2002, 06:23 PM

Damn vacuum leak!

Man, hard to believe... I was getting a freaking massive manifold leak at the ports end. Went to listen to the fuel injectors with my stethescope when I hear this hissing coming from the left side. I was very surprised but the manifold retaining bolts made their way loose. Glad to see such ugly symptoms go away with the elimination of the leak!
Old 06-27-2002, 09:05 AM

Re: Damn vacuum leak!

can you explain a little better where the leak was??. From what I get it was the rubber that was loose on your intake monifold??
Old 06-27-2002, 03:40 PM

Re: Re: Damn vacuum leak!

Well my problem was a direct result of my resent manifold swap. I don't think that I have the same problem as you. I'm talking about the long black gasket at the front of the intake manifold. I suppose you could check to see if those 5 (12mm) bolts are tight but I doubt this is your problem. However, I've had similar, though less dramatic, symptoms with similar a similar cause:

About a year or two ago, I noticed my idle being somewhat rough, developing quite insidiously. In coming to a slow/stop and disengaging the clutch, the rpm would dip very low (< idle) and recover. Nearly stalling but not quite. I tried a number of things but in the end, I noticed on the fat hose from the intake to the IAC that there was a crack. After replacing the hose, the problem was solved! I really suggest you check all the hose, from the very small to the somewhat fat, that are attached to your intake, intake manifold, etc. Look for cracks. Look for loose ends. It is possible that in the battery backup install you had, that a hose was damaged or dislodged.

Again, it is hard to believe that a vacuum leak could cause the major sputtering and convulsing that the engine was doing. I could swear that there was a cylinder misfire problem but such was not the case (thankfully).