4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need your honest opinion ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 11:21 PM

Need your honest opinion ASAP

I am going to buy a 96 max this week and have been looking around. So far i am a complete newbie to maximas but i know i loved them since i was 14. Thats 6 years!!!
But i am finally getting a Max. Just wanted to know if you guys thought this is a good buy or not.
heres the link:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=127970
It doesn't come with the rims or lcd screen.
From reading post on this forum i learned that the 95+ uses a timing chain. Big relive since its suppose to last forever. I know, you are probroly gonna kick me because its not a 5sp. But i don't really know how to drive yet lolz.
Give me you opinions ASAP.

BTW i heard that some of you max lovers live in Queens and Goto StonyBrook. Because i fall in that category. Maybe you can help me more with my max for future mods !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if i am violating anything just tell me.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:31 AM

Re: Need your honest opinion ASAP

alfred???? - yeah - dont worry about the timing chain - 90K miles on the max- not too bad

Originally posted by pkny514
I am going to buy a 96 max this week and have been looking around. So far i am a complete newbie to maximas but i know i loved them since i was 14. Thats 6 years!!!
But i am finally getting a Max. Just wanted to know if you guys thought this is a good buy or not.
heres the link:

From reading post on this forum i learned that the 95+ uses a timing chain. Big relive since its suppose to last forever. I know, you are probroly gonna kick me because its not a 5sp. But i don't really know how to drive yet lolz.

BTW i heard that some of you max lovers live in Queens and Goto StonyBrook. Because i fall in that category. Maybe you can help me more with my max for future mods !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2002, 07:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Do you plan on buying it with the Mods or stock?

Here's the dilema- Is it better to buy from the ORG where people are entusiasts, know their cars, probably take care of them in most cases, but also drive their Max's real hard in most cases..

or..

do you find a single owner, stock Max driven by "one careful owner" who may or may not have looked after their car...

Don't rush into anything - shop around a bit - I've been looking for a 97-99 SE 5 spd for a couple of weeks now here in Oregon, and there were no ads in Autotrader NW, or online, and I ended up just driving to the Nissan dealer and they had a 99 SE with 50k miles, loaded, one owner, full dealer service history and they sticker priced it at $18995.
My wife - who is a great negotiator wasn't there but she said on the phone, if they'll give it to us for $12k we'll take it ...
(I guess she didn't want to buy a car just yet - we leave for a 3 week trip to England in two weeks)
They turned around and offered it for $14k - I (reluctantly) walked away...

There are deals out there - you can find them. Go around the dealers and see what inventory they have. Remember to always get it checked out by a mechanic - will cost you labor only - should be about $50

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2002, 09:59 AM

Beru!!! is that you. HAHA i finally posted since i may become a MAX owner. Been my dream for years!!!!
Timing chain. I like the sound of that.
So what do you other MAX owners think?
Old 06-20-2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by ORBRIT
Do you plan on buying it with the Mods or stock?

Here's the dilema- Is it better to buy from the ORG where people are entusiasts, know their cars, probably take care of them in most cases, but also drive their Max's real hard in most cases..

or..

do you find a single owner, stock Max driven by "one careful owner" who may or may not have looked after their car...

Don't rush into anything - shop around a bit - I've been looking for a 97-99 SE 5 spd for a couple of weeks now here in Oregon, and there were no ads in Autotrader NW, or online, and I ended up just driving to the Nissan dealer and they had a 99 SE with 50k miles, loaded, one owner, full dealer service history and they sticker priced it at $18995.
My wife - who is a great negotiator wasn't there but she said on the phone, if they'll give it to us for $12k we'll take it ...
(I guess she didn't want to buy a car just yet - we leave for a 3 week trip to England in two weeks)
They turned around and offered it for $14k - I (reluctantly) walked away...

There are deals out there - you can find them. Go around the dealers and see what inventory they have. Remember to always get it checked out by a mechanic - will cost you labor only - should be about $50

Good luck!
Hey Orbrit. Cool! Brit in Oregon, in Eugene even better!!! I lived down at Eugene for 6 years, went to school there. So any luck finding a Max yet? There are quite a few up here on Canyon Road in Beaverton. They don't really advertise online or in the paper. So best is to come up one weekend and just drive down Canyon Road and hit every single dealership. When my friends back in school looking to buy a car, they are drove up to Beaverton, better selections. There are limited amount in Eugune. Let me know when you plan to come up, maybe I can give you some help. Cheers!

So back to the thread:
I agree with ORBRIT, it's nice to buy a modded Max, but you also run into the problem that that car was driven hard. Though many org members drive their cars hard, but they also take great care of it. So my advice is the same, take your time, drive some cars and see. I can tell you one thing though, if you are going thru a dealership, a stock max costs more than a modded max, dealership just don't care about after-market stuff and they don't jack that used car's value up because of the mods. If you buy a modded Max from a private owner, they'll have a higher price cause for the mods. Good luck
Old 06-20-2002, 12:36 PM

heres the link:

I've really liked Maximas for a long time as well and just recently purchased a 97 SE 5sp and let me tell you, if you want the best out of the Max, go for 5sp. I know this is probabaly not the first time you hear this but it doesn't matter if you don't know how to drive it, you'll learn. If you really got your heart set on 5sp, wait and be patient, trust me, it'll pay off.

As for as buying a modded Max goes, I agree with the common opinion here that most .org members do drive their cars hard but also take extreme good care of it.

Would you prefer buying a already modded Max or start with a blank slate and modify it with your own personal style.

Just my .02$
Old 06-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tifosi

Hey Orbrit. Cool! Brit in Oregon, in Eugene even better!!! I lived down at Eugene for 6 years, went to school there. So any luck finding a Max yet? There are quite a few up here on Canyon Road in Beaverton. They don't really advertise online or in the paper. So best is to come up one weekend and just drive down Canyon Road and hit every single dealership. When my friends back in school looking to buy a car, they are drove up to Beaverton, better selections. There are limited amount in Eugune. Let me know when you plan to come up, maybe I can give you some help. Cheers!

So back to the thread:
I agree with ORBRIT, it's nice to buy a modded Max, but you also run into the problem that that car was driven hard. Though many org members drive their cars hard, but they also take great care of it. So my advice is the same, take your time, drive some cars and see. I can tell you one thing though, if you are going thru a dealership, a stock max costs more than a modded max, dealership just don't care about after-market stuff and they don't jack that used car's value up because of the mods. If you buy a modded Max from a private owner, they'll have a higher price cause for the mods. Good luck
There aren't that many here in Eugene. I'm not going to start looking seriously until I get back from England - I'm going on a 3 week vacation back home.
I'll definitely consider coming up to Beaverton though, if there's a good selection I can make a day of it.
That's a nice looking car you have there. I'm trying to decide if the Stillen kit will be in my future list of mods. I'm going tospend my money initially on RASB, FSTB, probably Y Pipe, and right now I'm trying to decide between teh Stillen SC kit or Nigel's Turbo. I was planning on buying a 2k2 SE at first, but now I've decided to go for a 4th gen SE- 97-99 probably and spend the money I save on making it quicker.
Thanks for the offer of help finding a Max - I may take youup on that.
Do you attend any meetings with other Max owners in Oregon? There don't seem to be that many of them.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:06 PM

did you see this????
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=130055

Good Luck, I hope you get a Maxima. It's a great car.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:50 AM

Whoa, This seems to be very strange.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:08 AM

Whoa, This seems to be very strange.
Yeah, I have to say that thread is messed up. So when you are looking for a car from a fellow org member, or a private owner, be careful. From all the rip-off stories I have read so far, it's almost best to buy a low miles stock Max and go from there.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:18 AM

Thanks! 5th Gen SE's are nice, but lately I have noticed so many brand new SE's around town that they aren't special anymore. Not to mention some real "not so attractive" people driving them, kind of don't want to be associated with that. Previously owned a Mustang and started seeing grandpas and grandmas driving them....time to trade it in, if you know what I mean!? Actually I have never been to any meet up here in Portland, there's supposed to be one on July 13th, check this thread...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=127794
I live real close to Canyon road, pretty much drive by several dealerships every day, I did see at least 3/4 4th Gens Max on the lots. So PM me if you are coming up when you're back from your vacation, let me know several days in advance so I can go scout out the lots.
As far as Oregon owners concern, there aren't a lot, I know two other org mbrs own 5th gen, others (Vancouver area) are mainly 3rd Gen.