4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Newbie 4th Gen questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 12:48 PM

Newbie 4th Gen questions

I think that I've decided to buy a 4th Gen Maxima, if I can find the one I want, that is...

From what I've read on this website and others (along with quite a bit of searching on alt.autos.nissan.maxima) I think that I want a 4th Gen SE w/5-spd & leather. (I know, good luck finding one...)

I'm looking for some advice:

Should I avoid the '95 (1st year after redesign)?

Are the '95-96 cars really faster than the '97 model?

Are there any particular known issues that I need to look out for?

Exactly how rare are SE 5-speeds w/leather?
(Tell me if I'm wrong: GLE is Automatic ONLY, GXE w/Leather is probably REALLY rare - as you can tell, 5-speed & leather are more important to me than the SE designation)

Are any particular colors more durable (fading, etc.) than others?

Any mods to avoid?

Is there a Used Maxima Buyers Guide somewhere that I haven't been able to locate?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom G
Old 06-21-2002, 12:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Newbie 4th Gen questions

Originally posted by tomncora
I think that I've decided to buy a 4th Gen Maxima, if I can find the one I want, that is...

From what I've read on this website and others (along with quite a bit of searching on alt.autos.nissan.maxima) I think that I want a 4th Gen SE w/5-spd & leather. (I know, good luck finding one...)

I'm looking for some advice:

Should I avoid the '95 (1st year after redesign)? haven't heard anything bad about them

Are the '95-96 cars really faster than the '97 model? if they are, not by much

Are there any particular known issues that I need to look out for? the tranny

Exactly how rare are SE 5-speeds w/leather?
(Tell me if I'm wrong: GLE is Automatic ONLY, GXE w/Leather is probably REALLY rare - as you can tell, 5-speed & leather are more important to me than the SE designation)

Are any particular colors more durable (fading, etc.) than others? sterling mist is nice

Any mods to avoid? stickers and neon

Is there a Used Maxima Buyers Guide somewhere that I haven't been able to locate?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom G
Old 06-21-2002, 12:54 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Welcome...

From what I've heard... only 10% of Maximas were 5-speeds... so I would imagine with leather, it's even more rare.

95-96 is faster (in general) than 97-99. Aside from the mileage/age issue, there's only the personal choice to the minor cosmetic changes (front/rear bumpers).
Old 06-21-2002, 12:57 PM

Hey i got a 5 spd W/ Leather.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:59 PM

Don't worry too much about the leather. You can get a conversion kit from Leatherseats.com for ~$700. The leather is much better than factory (I know, I replaced the factory leather in my car with theirs) and you can get it 2-tone, preforated and embroydered.

95 and 96 are faster, 97-99 have much better bumpers and better front bumper styling. I think reliability is about the same, i.e. excellent.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:01 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by RAZER
Hey i got a 5 spd W/ Leather.
So you're ABNORMAL are you? At least compared to the rest of us
Old 06-21-2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by sinewave
Don't worry too much about the leather. You can get a conversion kit from Leatherseats.com for ~$700. The leather is much better than factory (I know, I replaced the factory leather in my car with theirs) and you can get it 2-tone, preforated and embroydered.

95 and 96 are faster, 97-99 have much better bumpers and better front bumper styling. I think reliability is about the same, i.e. excellent.
Now THAT is a DIY project I would never have even considered... Are the pics in your sig of the DIY Leather Job?

How easy/difficult was the conversion?
Old 06-21-2002, 01:32 PM

I plan on doing the leather install myself soon. From what I hear it takes a professional shop about 4 hours to install leather, and about 12 hours for someone who's never done it before. Here is a link to instrucions: http://www.leatherseats.com/pages/installation.htm

I would just concentrate on getting a low mileage 5 speed, then looking for one w/leather. Leatherseats.com is cheaper & better than factory and you can choose your own color combos, etc.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by JR_Anders
I plan on doing the leather install myself soon. From what I hear it takes a professional shop about 4 hours to install leather, and about 12 hours for someone who's never done it before. Here is a link to instrucions: http://www.leatherseats.com/pages/installation.htm

I would just concentrate on getting a low mileage 5 speed, then looking for one w/leather. Leatherseats.com is cheaper & better than factory and you can choose your own color combos, etc.
I agree with this. I searched auto auctions nationwide weekly for months and can verify that 5spd fully loaded SEs w/factory leather are rare. I regret all that work now since I also want to replace my leather which is sundamaged. I don't think the factory leather is of high quality. Although I also wanted auto climate + sunroof and I'm not sure how the options packages were offered. I've heard you need to budget about a grand for custom leather + professional install. So, I'll be suffering with my factory leather for a while...
Old 06-21-2002, 01:55 PM

'99 SE limited, 5-spd, leather...

I would rather have factory leather seats. Just because it's "factory". Adds rare-ness(is that even a word?) to the car. My car is somewhat modded, but for some stuff I'd like to stick with factory. Hence, Nissan OEM rims rather then going to aftermarket rims.

Good luck on finding your Max!!!
Old 06-21-2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by tomncora
Are the pics in your sig of the DIY Leather Job?
How easy/difficult was the conversion?
Yes, the pic is of the conversion. It is very easy to do; if you can change brake pads, you can do this. It took me and my brother ~8 hours to do; neither one of us had ever done a seat cover job before. The results were perfect and I am very hard to please.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:18 PM

Hi, I have a 99SE 5-speed (Sterling Mist) that I purchased three months ago. It's fully loaded with leather & sunroof, even came with painted splashguards and woodgrain dash interior. It had 100,000 kms. (60,000 miles) and was $17K Canadian ($10,500 US). I searched on Autotrader.ca for about a month when this finally appeared. My wife and I love this car (my wife compares it to our old RX-7).

I opted for a later 4th gen model, wanted the additional safety features such as side air bags, chipped security key, 3 point safety belts in all 3 rear passenger seats, as well as the revised bumpers that were introduced in 1997. I'm a 46 year old father of 2 so these things are important. However, I'm not totally against performance upgrades as I'm looking to upgrade my rims to 17" versus the current OEM 16" wheels.

The leather was in excellent condition. I had a 91 SHO with leather and the seats in that car became quite tired after a while.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by el_aurens
Hi, I have a 99SE 5-speed (Sterling Mist) that I purchased three months ago. It's fully loaded with leather & sunroof, even came with painted splashguards and woodgrain dash interior. It had 100,000 kms. (60,000 miles) and was $17K Canadian ($10,500 US). I searched on Autotrader.ca for about a month when this finally appeared. My wife and I love this car (my wife compares it to our old RX-7).

I opted for a later 4th gen model, wanted the additional safety features such as side air bags, chipped security key, 3 point safety belts in all 3 rear passenger seats, as well as the revised bumpers that were introduced in 1997. I'm a 46 year old father of 2 so these things are important. However, I'm not totally against performance upgrades as I'm looking to upgrade my rims to 17" versus the current OEM 16" wheels.
Safety first!!! Good for you! This should always be the priority for choosing a car or trim level. I almost got a Momo steering wheel, but you know what? Airbag is more important!!!
Old 06-21-2002, 07:23 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Hard to find a 5spd Max with leather? You have no idea how long it took to find my I30t 5spd. Only 3% of I30 came in a 5spd. Less than 1% were the t model with a 5spd. Every weekend for 6 months.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Tifosi
'99 SE limited, 5-spd, leather...

I would rather have factory leather seats. Just because it's "factory". Adds rare-ness(is that even a word?) to the car. My car is somewhat modded, but for some stuff I'd like to stick with factory. Hence, Nissan OEM rims rather then going to aftermarket rims.

Good luck on finding your Max!!!
I agree with you, Tifosi, although certain aftermarket modifications (like clear bumper lights) can make your car unique without looking too modded--it just depends on your taste. For example, I'm not a fan of things like aftermarket stereos--I like OEM equipment--also with rims. However, since 4th gens didn't come with 17" rims, I opted for a 17" set from the 2k2 Altima. Still factory look and unique since few people would think to put Alti rims on a Max.
Old 06-22-2002, 01:40 PM
syc

the other option is to buy the leather seat used. go to the junk yard and get some seat from some GLEs or I30, but not really cheap ($400~1000). or if you have patience, check the .org or ebay for them. even though they are not cheap, you don't have to install the leather yourself. and hopefully you can sell your cloth seat. I agree I like the factory leather seat better cuz they match the car.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by dobiegillis

I agree with you, Tifosi, although certain aftermarket modifications (like clear bumper lights) can make your car unique without looking too modded--it just depends on your taste. For example, I'm not a fan of things like aftermarket stereos--I like OEM equipment--also with rims. However, since 4th gens didn't come with 17" rims, I opted for a 17" set from the 2k2 Altima. Still factory look and unique since few people would think to put Alti rims on a Max.
Good idea! Never seen 2k2 Altima rims on Maxima before, from just imagining it in my head, looks pretty cool! Got pics to share?
Old 06-23-2002, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by Tifosi

Good idea! Never seen 2k2 Altima rims on Maxima before, from just imagining it in my head, looks pretty cool! Got pics to share?
Sure! Personally, I like the new Altima rims better than the new Maxima rims. These pics are a few months old:
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=pparis&AID=200203
Old 06-23-2002, 06:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dobiegillis

Sure! Personally, I like the new Altima rims better than the new Maxima rims. These pics are a few months old:
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=pparis&AID=200203
[/QUOTE

Oh yeah! That looks real good! Anyone wants to buy my 2k2 Max rims?