4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Inventive intake design ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 08:15 PM

Inventive intake design ideas

Okay well right now I have a K&N cone filter, so basicly a popcharger. I know this takes away from the low end on autos and evidently the CAI is better for them. My first question is what does the upper intake pipe do and what kind of gains do you get. Also I've heard of someone running a pipe from thier foglight up to the intake, if any of you have heard of is let me know how that works, like does it just blow cold air onto the filter or does it connect to the intake, and what gains I might expect. I would think if it blows onto the filter that might cool the whole engine bay too. I was thinking of maybe running that from the open area on the front of my 95. Is there anyway to create a ram-air effect? Also there is an open plastic thing that looks like an intake down there, someone said it was a resonator. What purpose does that serve and where does it lead. Thanks to anyone that responds.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:49 AM

Anyone?
Old 06-22-2002, 09:57 AM

Re: Inventive intake design ideas

Originally posted by ladeesman
Okay well right now I have a K&N cone filter, so basicly a popcharger. I know this takes away from the low end on autos and evidently the CAI is better for them. My first question is what does the upper intake pipe do and what kind of gains do you get. Also I've heard of someone running a pipe from thier foglight up to the intake, if any of you have heard of is let me know how that works, like does it just blow cold air onto the filter or does it connect to the intake, and what gains I might expect. I would think if it blows onto the filter that might cool the whole engine bay too. I was thinking of maybe running that from the open area on the front of my 95. Is there anyway to create a ram-air effect? Also there is an open plastic thing that looks like an intake down there, someone said it was a resonator. What purpose does that serve and where does it lead. Thanks to anyone that responds.
I used to have just the stillen intake until i got the upper pipe from PR. What it does is get rid of the accordian section and the black box resonator. Im guessing it smooths out the air flow a tad and does change the sound a little bit (which i like now)
Im not sure about running a hose up into the bay, but i left my old stock ram intake piping that does bring some coolER air into the engine. Gains from the upper pipe are probly ify, maybe a HP or 2 but not much. It does however gain back some of the low end power loss and pulls up high. Hope this helps
-Brett
Old 06-22-2002, 10:06 AM

Ok well that answers that question, now who has ideas on the cold air piping and that intakish looking thing in the valence area.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:19 AM

Ok well that answers that question, now who has ideas on the cold air piping and that intakish looking thing in the valence area.

Theres one being cooked up... cant say where though for now, but you may know..

I had this Idea about 5 days ago.. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=air+ducts
Old 06-22-2002, 10:29 AM

Why don't we work together. I'm known to do some crazy stuff. I'm just curious as to whether it needs to be connected to the intake or just to blow cool air onto it. That and where that little intake box thing leads and what its for. Give me that and I think I can give you a design.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:33 AM

Why don't we work together. I'm known to do some crazy stuff. I'm just curious as to whether it needs to be connected to the intake or just to blow cool air onto it. That and where that little intake box thing leads and what its for. Give me that and I think I can give you a design.
think about this... You know the Racing E30 M3's, with there brake cooling ducts in the fog light holes, that direct right into the brake.. Maybe it might be impossible seeing in the other thread it might be a little difficult to pipe a tube pass the fender and such to the engine bay.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:36 AM
pro

Not to sound like an a** but this was just asked by me in a previous thread the same day you posted. If you had gone a couple posts down you would have found an answer. I don't mind people posting something that was discused a couple months back but something that was asked the same day gets a little annoying.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=130269
Paul
Old 06-22-2002, 01:29 PM

It was simply an included question, in fact I had already seen 1 reply to your post but iwasnt satisfied with it and thought I ould get a better answer. Does anyone know how to detach the stock intake scoop.
Old 06-22-2002, 03:14 PM

It was simply an included question, in fact I had already seen 1 reply to your post but iwasnt satisfied with it and thought I ould get a better answer. Does anyone know how to detach the stock intake scoop.

im pretty sure there are two plastic screws that hold it on....
Old 06-22-2002, 08:23 PM

Yeah they dont screw out and you cant get under them to push out.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:00 AM

ok i'm still looking or the answers from above but I do have a design idea i just need to know how most ram air filtration systems work.