4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

auto on/off headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 11:01 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

auto on/off headlights...

anyone attempt to install auto on/off headlights? If i could get my hands on a Light Sensor, i think i'm gonna attempt it on my 96SE
Old 06-26-2002, 11:44 AM

you think it might be possible to get the piece from a newer vehicle and incorporate it into your setup? I even think it could be possible to take the sensor of another make of car, maybe a pontiac? This would be a fun little mod to do.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:39 PM

Re: auto on/off headlights...

I think you want this.

http://www.autopreservers.com/security/acc/545t.htm

Will also give you DRL if you want. You can cut a wire to prevent DRL but the auto on/off feature still works from what I have read at another website.

Originally posted by nadir_s
anyone attempt to install auto on/off headlights? If i could get my hands on a Light Sensor, i think i'm gonna attempt it on my 96SE
Old 06-26-2002, 01:56 PM

Has anyone installed that piece yet? How hard is it to install?
Old 06-26-2002, 02:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

why would u need this? kinda unless if you ask me, i dont even use it on my other cars that do have it.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
you think it might be possible to get the piece from a newer vehicle and incorporate it into your setup? I even think it could be possible to take the sensor of another make of car, maybe a pontiac? This would be a fun little mod to do.
is that any help to what he asked? and y would u get it from a Pontiac when u could from a 5th gen?
Old 06-26-2002, 11:43 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
why would u need this? kinda unless if you ask me, i dont even use it on my other cars that do have it.

It is quite useless lol, but it would be fun to install on a 4th gen... a lil more luxory
Old 06-27-2002, 10:07 AM

Some folks in the Honda Odyssey forum that I also frequent have installed this in the van. I dunno of anyone who has done this in the Max. It does come with all instructions but we might need someone with an electric manual to map all the wires so that the connections can be made to the correct wires. The other guys say it works like a charm.

Originally posted by BBaker025
Has anyone installed that piece yet? How hard is it to install?
Old 06-27-2002, 11:43 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Basic directions

Originally posted by dvpatel99se
Some folks in the Honda Odyssey forum that I also frequent have installed this in the van. I dunno of anyone who has done this in the Max. It does come with all instructions but we might need someone with an electric manual to map all the wires so that the connections can be made to the correct wires. The other guys say it works like a charm.

After working on the foglight rewire in my 96 and experiencing every problem possible... I don't think it should be too hard. Basically the light sensor would be a relay (on when dark/ off when light)... so basically it'd be a switch to complete the circuit.

If you've done the foglight rewire, this shouldn't anything new really...

1) You'd mount the sensor underneath the fender or whatnot, connect the sensor to power so it can work.... then all you have left the wire that opens/closes the circuit.

2)You find the relay for the headlight (in front of the coolant resevoir), unscrew the coolant resevoir for more space, take apart the relay box

3) Find the right 12V+ wire for the headlight. To do this, you take the voltmeter and you test the 4 gold connectors on the relay when you open it up... and the correct wire would be attached to the gold connector opposite of the connector that reads 12V+.

4) Then, splice the sensor wire into the headlight wire.

5) Repeat step (#3) on the CORNER LIGHT relay which is around the same area as the headlight relay... and you find right corner light wire (opposite from the connector that reads 12V+).

6) Splice the corner light wire w/ the headlight wire (same wire used in step #4) So basically you'll have 2 splices on the headlight wire.

7) This step would be done for those w/ foglights... Basically same process... do step #3/#5, find the right wire. After that you splice the foglight wire either into the corner light wire (same wire that was spliced in step #6) or the headlight wire (same wire that was spliced in step #4/#6).

8) VOILA! the sensor will turn on ure headlights/corners/foglights when it becomes dark. For those thinking about the tailights that turn on when you normally turn on ure headlights/parking light... they use the same relay as the corner lights so don't worry, those will work too. I would recommend attaching an extra switch (put the switch between the sensor wire that i connected to the battery) so that you'll have the convenience of turning this feature on/off.

Well, after thinking about it and writing this up... i wanna go find myself that sensor. Well these are the BASIC steps to install the sensor... i'm not sure how sensor looks so in order to test these steps, someone w/ electrical knowledge and knows what he/she is doin should attempt it first because you may blow a fuse. Anywho, when i get a change, i'll try to get my hands on a sensor and attemp this myself and get back to this post.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:43 PM

Save some time and maybe some money and go buy the module. You can get them at a car audio store. I was thinking about doing a group buy or something.