4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I've been thinking of a transmission cooler & need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 03:21 PM

I've been thinking of a transmission cooler & need some help

The info on the tranny cooler got wiped out of the 4th gen FAQ & there's nothing I could find in the 5th gen FAQ so I'm here to pose questions:

1) What brand to get?
Is Permacool or B&M better than Hayden? The prices appear to be around the same, and I am looking at spending around $60 for the part.

I've noticed that B&M (not sure about others) talk about a low-temp bypass valve to bypass the cooling path when the fluid is cold. Is this part of the cooler or do we need to buy a separate valve?

Quoted from sinewave: For the same money, you can get a B&M from Jegs.com. It is much better design. It is a stacked plate design that is more rugged than the fin and tude design of the Hayden. The B&M also has a self-regulating orifice so the fluid can by-pass the cooling fins when the fluid is cold. I've got the #130-70264, rated for 24,000GVW.
Also, they give you enough hose to do the job; with the Hayden you are going to have to buy more.

Which tranny cooler to buy? (ptatohed)

2) What size to get?
I've read posts advising not to get too much "cool" if you live in cooler areas. I live in Michigan where we have decent winters. Which size is considered 'ok' and if the tranny cooler (example: B&M) has a low-temp bypass, does size even matter?

Also, which size fits in well to the 4th gen front end? Where do you install it? Behind the grille, after the radiator, center or lower, does anything get in the way? How do you secure it, do you need to drill?

3) Where to buy?
Any recommenations for where to buy tranny coolers? I don't want to get ripped off by shipping charges if there's a better deal elsewhere. So far, I've only seen jegs.com but they have a ton of them. Which one should I get? I am not running NOS or S/C, I don't have a VB mod yet. I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck which will hopefully extend my tranny life and have the needed capability if I get a VB mod. (Speaking of VB mod, is it wise to get a VB mod on an auto tranny with 82k miles? Everyone says the shifts are crisp & don't slip, is it still smooth for daily driving or do you notice a jerk with each shift?)

4) Install concerns
a) Can the hoses come off easily?
The kit calls for tie-straps and extension hoses. Is there concern that the hoses can come off and leak tranny fluid while you're driving?

b) Can the hoses get pinched by a curbstone or speedbump?
I looked at Greg Prete's install photo and is there any possibility of the hoses getting kinked or pinched?
Pic of Greg Prete's Install
Thread for routing

5) Where to install & how much?
I know this is a DIY but I'm thinking of getting a tranny flush this summer so I'm considering doing a flush FIRST, then having the shop install the tranny cooler. How much do you think they'd charge for it? Should be an easy job (< 1 hour?) right?

I'd appreciate any other positive feedback as well. Thank you. Who knows, any constructive information here can be put into the FAQ later
Old 05-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Get the Hayden #1404. I did tons of shopping and here's the best I could do:

http://www.dcflags.com/ ($32 + shipping - min. $7.50)
and second best
http://trtranss.tripod.com/tncool/index.html ($46, free shipping)

No need for anything more than the Hayden. It's cheapest. The install instructions on the .org/maximadriver.com (same ones) are great.

Can't help you with the bypass valve, I live in S.D. CA.

I'm not going to comment on the VB. I had mine done by a local shop. Much cheaper than mobleteks or levelten. Yes it is a harder shift (mostly 1-2, not 2-3 or 3-4) but fine for a daily driver. Don't worry about 80,000 mi.

Hoses come off. As a lot of other hoses, some are tough but you'll get them eventually. You can always use a blow dryer. You will need to buy about $2 worth of hose at your local parts store if you get the Hayden. No the hoses can not come off while driving. All hose connections are 'flarred'. No they won't pinch while driving.

Install it yourself. E-mail me right before you do. I have a few additioanal hints/tips/pictures for you.

Good luck and let me know if I can help any further.

-Josh
Old 05-18-2002, 07:28 PM

I have a Question

Hey I was woundering, a tranny cooler, for a Auto, would it fit on a 5 speed? And the same thing, one for a 5 speed, would it fit on a Auto.....i was woundering becuase i plan on converting to a 5 speed, and if i got a tranny cooler, now i feel it would be a waste, if it wont fit on my 5 speed..
Old 05-18-2002, 10:09 PM

Re: :o)

Thanks ptatohed, I'll definitely shoot you an e-mail when I get my tranny cooler. About getting a Hayden, I'm still hesitant as to the type I should get since I don't live in CA where the weather is always warm

Michigan winters ... I wonder if it might be a problem if I use the 1404? Or should I get a B&M? Anyone with winters and tranny coolers? I need some feedback please

Hayden Transmission Cooler kits (from dcflags.com):
#DC1401...$19.34
Normal duty driving, compact and mid-size cars
GVW up to 12,000 lbs.
5" x 12 1/2" x 3/4"

#DC1402...$23.07
Normal duty driving compact and mid-size cars
GVW up to 16,000 lbs.
5" x 15 1/2" x 3/4"

#DC1403...$25.87
Medium duty driving, Mid, full size cars, pick-ups & light towing
GVW up to 18,000 lbs.
7 1/2" x 12 1/2" x 3/4"

#DC1404...$32.23
Heavy duty driving, Cars, trucks, class "C" motor homes
GVW to 22,000 lbs.
7 1/2" x 15 1/2" x 3/4"

#DC1405...$34.44
Heavy duty driving, trucks, class "A" motor homes
GVW to 26,000 lbs.
10" x 15 1/2" x 3/4"

B&M Trans Cooler (from Jegs.com):
130-70255 SuperCooler $ 42.99
16,000 GVW (11'' x 5.75'' x .75'')

130-70264 SuperCooler $ 49.99
24,000 GVW (11'' x 6'' x 1.5'').

130-70268 SuperCooler $ 45.99
19,000 GVW (11'' x 7.5'' x .75'').

A word about Hayden:
Tube & Fin style
Every Hayden cooler is pressure tested to 300 PSI!
Specially designed turbulators in every tube improve heat transfer up to 3 times more than bare tube coolers.

A word about B&M:
B&M’s SuperCooler low pressure drop coolers reduce the risk of lube system failure. A controlled amount of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is allowed to bypass the stacked plate core, passing through a self-regulating orifice, which monitors resistance to flow. Controlled by viscosity, the thicker ATF is returned directly to lube through two open bypass passages positioned in the stacked plate core. As operating temperatures increase, more of the ATF flow is directed through the core. The result is highly efficient cooling technology that combines improved protection against lube system failure with the required levels of optimal heat transfer.
The smallest size and lightest weight cooler relative to cooling capacity you can buy! High efficiency rating allows a smaller cooler to get equal, or better cooling than ordinary in and tube coolers. The rigid design is resistant to damage from flying rocks or other debris. Pressure tested to 200 PSI. Includes installation kit (cooler lines, fitting & mounting hardware). Easy to install.

This is all the info I could find, I hope someone can help me decide which transmission cooler I should get for my geographical area. Thanks.

Also, I found install instructions in the shoptalk (Greg Prete, you are awesome!!!)
https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modi...er/index.shtml
Old 05-18-2002, 11:04 PM

Trany cooler thermostat

Does it exist? For winter driving I would rather have something to regulate the temp.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:10 PM

Re: Trany cooler thermostat

Originally posted by MarcGXE95
Does it exist? For winter driving I would rather have something to regulate the temp.
See my previous post (a word about B&M) ... I think this does the same function but I'm hoping tog et some feedback from members who live in winter-prone areas to see what they considered.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:35 AM

Ok, I'll phone up a local trans. shop!

Old 06-04-2002, 11:11 PM

i want to get a tranny cooler installed in my car i have about 106,100 miles on a 95 max. which one should i get? where do i get it? and where can i get instructions? eveything seems so confusing. i live in Massachusettes. what one should i get due to my climate? any help would be killer thanks..
Old 06-05-2002, 08:10 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by maxima168
i want to get a tranny cooler installed in my car i have about 106,100 miles on a 95 max. which one should i get? where do i get it? and where can i get instructions? eveything seems so confusing. i live in Massachusettes. what one should i get due to my climate? any help would be killer thanks..

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modi...er/index.shtml
Old 06-05-2002, 09:07 AM

ptatohed your the MAN. thanks a lot.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:13 AM

[B]One More Thing[/B]

which one should i get due to my climate ( i live in Massachusettes)the Hayden model 404, 403 or even a different model and brand? do they sell them at auto zone?
Old 06-05-2002, 11:43 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: [B]One More Thing[/B]

which one should i get due to my climate ( i live in Massachusettes)the Hayden model 404, 403 or even a different model and brand? do they sell them at auto zone?

You're welcome 168. First of all, it's a 1404 and a 1403!!! Why does EVERYONE leave off the '1'? Anyway, the 1404 is fine. You won't need anything better. As for the cold weather, I'm not too sure about that, sorry. No autozone but look above for the best price I could find. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:03 PM

the link u gave me .. gave me them number lol... i think someone better fix it before everyone that tries to order the same one dont look like an a$$ asking for the 404 or the 403. lol
thanks again
Old 06-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Licensed to Spell

the link u gave me .. gave me them number lol... i think someone better fix it before everyone that tries to order the same one dont look like an a$$ asking for the 404 or the 403. lol
thanks again

Yeah, the install link calls it 403/404. But if you go to dcflags, you'll see it correctly. That's what I was saying. I don't know why but almost everyone around here calls it the Hayden '404' instead of '1404'. But that doesn't bug me hardly as much as people calling a Rear Anti-Sway Bar a 'RSB' instead of the correct 'RASB'!! Oh well, what can you do?
Old 06-05-2002, 01:27 PM

You can get the Hydens 403X cooler. The 404 isa heavy duty model cooler. Either one will suit your needs. Remember not to get a "huge" cooler. Why you ask? In the winter, its colder and since the cold air is almost constantly blowing on teh tranny cooler, the tranny may never get up to proper temps (in short distance drives or even highway drives).

I have never had a problems with my hoses popping off. Make sure they are nice and snug and do not over clamp the hoses or they will tear and possibly fall off while driving. You might always want to maybe put wire loom or tape up the edges on the bottle of the car so it cant cut into the tranny hose.

You can go to any local Auto parts store and they should have it there if not able to order it. The 403 is about $35-$40 or so.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:37 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by Synki
You can get the Hydens 403X cooler. The 404 isa heavy duty model cooler. Either one will suit your needs. Remember not to get a "huge" cooler. Why you ask? In the winter, its colder and since the cold air is almost constantly blowing on teh tranny cooler, the tranny may never get up to proper temps (in short distance drives or even highway drives).

I have never had a problems with my hoses popping off. Make sure they are nice and snug and do not over clamp the hoses or they will tear and possibly fall off while driving. You might always want to maybe put wire loom or tape up the edges on the bottle of the car so it cant cut into the tranny hose.

You can go to any local Auto parts store and they should have it there if not able to order it. The 403 is about $35-$40 or so.
You gotta love people who post without reading the entire thread.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:31 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

You gotta love people who post without reading the entire thread.
Nothing like posting after a hards day of work.

Feel free to del my post (moderators). :-)
Old 06-05-2002, 03:36 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Synki

Nothing like posting after a hards day of work.

Feel free to del my post (moderators). :-)
Just playing with you Synki. It's no biggy.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

So I'm very close to getting the Hayden 1403 tranny cooler but I look at the Shoptalk install instructions. My 95 SE has a cooler line running in front for my power steering fluid (I believe), I can't see it in the pic so any chance of that getting in the way of the tranny cooler?
Old 06-05-2002, 05:32 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: I have a Question

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE
Hey I was woundering, a tranny cooler, for a Auto, would it fit on a 5 speed? And the same thing, one for a 5 speed, would it fit on a Auto.....i was woundering becuase i plan on converting to a 5 speed, and if i got a tranny cooler, now i feel it would be a waste, if it wont fit on my 5 speed..
uh.... can't use it for a 5 speed manual... there's no pressurized lines like an auto....
Old 06-05-2002, 05:59 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by pocketrocket
So I'm very close to getting the Hayden 1403 tranny cooler but I look at the Shoptalk install instructions. My 95 SE has a cooler line running in front for my power steering fluid (I believe), I can't see it in the pic so any chance of that getting in the way of the tranny cooler?
Nope, you're golden. Fits right between the power steering cooler and the radiator. Very good, snug fit, in fact. If it isn't in the pic, I beleive it's because the '99s didn't get PS coolers. But don't worry, you're golden. I can e-mail you pics if need be.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:36 PM
pro

Does this give you any gains as far as performance goes or does it just preserve the life of the transmission?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Banned

I bought the B&M because they are really sturdy. I live in a cold climate and I like the idea of the bypass so the tranny fluid bypasses till it warms up. I bought the biggest one they had because if it bypasses when its cool then it makes no difference but when it gets hot you have the maximum cooling surface.

Jim
Old 06-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jime
I bought the B&M because they are really sturdy. I live in a cold climate and I like the idea of the bypass so the tranny fluid bypasses till it warms up. I bought the biggest one they had because if it bypasses when its cool then it makes no difference but when it gets hot you have the maximum cooling surface.

Jim
I got the B&M 19K from Jeg's because the stacked plate looks cooler (get it, cooler, it's a pun, dude). It's black and sleek looking.
Don't get one that's too big because it just takes up space. You'll want to leave space for cooling the radiator as well as maybe adding an oil cooler in the future. Also, a cooler that's too big is overkill.
I plan on installing it this weekend following Greg's instructions for the 4th gen. I have a 5th gen, but it should be the same.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:54 PM

This post was helpful

Originally posted by Tanman

I got the B&M 19K from Jeg's because the stacked plate looks cooler (get it, cooler, it's a pun, dude). It's black and sleek looking.
Don't get one that's too big because it just takes up space. You'll want to leave space for cooling the radiator as well as maybe adding an oil cooler in the future. Also, a cooler that's too big is overkill.
I plan on installing it this weekend following Greg's instructions for the 4th gen. I have a 5th gen, but it should be the same.
I just ordered a B&M Tranny cooler Item# 130-70265, 15,000 GVW for $45.99 plus handling.

DL
Old 06-26-2002, 09:26 AM

Tanman

I am not sure which one did you get (19K?)?

I want to also get the one that's black so it's not so visible through the front grille. Which one did you get?

ptatohed

I'll bug you for pics once I get them B&M cooler I want. Thanks
Old 06-26-2002, 10:43 AM
Licensed to Spell

Tanman

I want to also get the one that's black so it's not so visible through the front grille. Which one did you get?

ptatohed

You won't be bugging me, trust me.
Ironically, I just sent them off to Mando yesterday, as a result of this thread. Let me know.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:26 AM

I have the small B&M cooler and it's been great.

B&M Trans Cooler (from Jegs.com):
130-70255 SuperCooler $ 42.99
16,000 GVW (11'' x 5.75'' x .75'')

Keep in mind that hoses and clamps wear out over time. This past weekend I just replaced one of my tranny cooler hoses and clamps since they were leaking a little (at the fitting, the hose never really leaked).

If you have any questions, please PM me (email).
Old 06-26-2002, 12:27 PM

Tanman

ptatohed

I got the B&M with part# 130-70268 from Jegs.com.

Jegs.com B&M Supercooler 19,000 GVW

It works nicely. You still need to buy another 4 ft of transmission fluid hose. Also, check where the hose goes to the return line (from the cooler back into the tranny). On mine, the hose was bent so it constricted the flow a little. I had to adjuste the position of the hose so there is less of a bend.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks fellas. I just ordered the B&M.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:00 PM

What's a Tranny FLush... do i need one.. (97 GLE Max with 55k miles on it) how much would it be.. and what does it do?